Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

I love this album. When I first got it, it stayed in my player and I played it over and over again, for months. Hancock's playing is so beautiful, as are the arrangements. This is probably my favorite Herbie Hancock album (though The Prisoner is a close second).

Lonson and MikeManaic61 like this.
  2. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Are you looking for singers and/or bass players specifically, or just any female jazz musicians?

The only person I can think of who, like Esperanza Spalding, is both a bassist and a singer is Joelle Leandre, though her approach is quite different.

3. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Mine too! Perfect for Autumn weather.

5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

All the above.

6. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

OK, if you like Spalding, you might like Cassandra Wilson, Patricia Barber, or maybe Rickie Lee Jones's Pop Pop album.

Other great female jazz musicians that haven't been mentioned yet:
    Marian McPartland, Mary Lou Williams, Eliane Elias, Ella Fitzgerald, Toshiko Akiyoshi. Most of these are pianists, because that's where my main interest lies.

Cheers!

7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

A unique album as there are horns but no horn solos. Can anyone think of another jazz album where there are horns but none solo?

8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ingrid Laubrock (sax), Terry Pollard (piano), Terri Lyne Carrington (drums), Bobbi Humphrey (flute), Becca Stevens, Gretchen Parlato, Rebecca Martin, Lucy Reed, Blossom Dearie, Anita O’Day, Madeleine Peyroux, Chris Connor, Julie London.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Starwanderer likes this.
  9. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

NP: diana krall 'The Look of Love' SACD Surround Sound

Berthold and bluemooze like this.
  10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Ingrid Jensen covering "Time of the Barracudas," from Here On Earth.

Gary Bartz, George Colligan, Dwayne Bruno, and Bill Stewart are in the band.

A couple years ago, she made an album with her sister Christine on sax & Ben Monder on guitar, called Infinitude, that I've really enjoyed, as well.

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'll second Yazz Ahmed. I'm very fond of the two albums by her that I have.

Starwanderer and MikeManaic61 like this.
  12. frightwigwam

Ingrid & Christine Jensen with Ben Monder, live in studio

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  13. frightwigwam

And here is Ben Monder with Yuhan Su on vibes

bluemooze likes this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Listening to "Lou Donaldson - Light Foot" on Blue Note

Lou Donaldson - alto saxophone
    Herman Foster - piano
    Peck Morrison - bass
    Jimmy Wormworth - drums
    Ray Barretto - congas

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, mktracy, Berthold and 3 others like this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was having a bit of trouble deciding what to put on, kinda felt like some familiar ol’ tried and true favorite but then again felt like something new. Instead I’ve opted to go off the deep end into The Abyss with Kevin Drumm & Jason Lescalleet.

(Erstwhile Records, 2xCD), disc 1

[​IMG]

Kevin Drumm - guitar, piano, electronics, tapes
    Jason Lescalleett - Hammond 136J, Casio SK5, Amplified Objects, Tapes, Dell XPS

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Time to bring things back down to earth so to speak.
    :cool:

Survival Unit III - Straylight (Pink Palace, PPCD002)

[​IMG]

Joe McPhee - pocket trumpet, soprano saxophone
    Fred Lonberg-Holm - cello, tenor guitar, electronics
    Michael Zerang - drums

17. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Geri Allen

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Joey Calderazzo - Secrets (Audioquest)
    This album was heavily influenced by Herbie's album. It might be OOP since I don't think the label is still active but as usual you should be able to locate a used copy if you search around and it may be on one of the streaming sites but I don't stream so I can't help there. Highly recommended.

NP Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden - Jasmine (ECM)

Starwanderer, Ray Cole and Lonson like this.
  19. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Live in Zurich (Leo Records)
    Live in San Francisco (Music & Arts)
    Two of Marilyn Crispell's best. These date from the time she was a member of Anthony Braxton's great quartet.

20. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

One that I learned about from reading this thread--thanks to Six String posting about it--is Joey Calderazzo's album, Secrets.
    [​IMG]

Edit: D'oh. Looks like Six String beat me to it!

Mugrug12 and Six String like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

You have to be quick around here! :)

NP Uri Caine Trio Live at the Village Vanguard (Winter & Winter)

Ray Cole likes this.
  22. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I don't listen to much post-7o's jazz, with the exception of some
    ECM that I have, but the M Brecker is good in a way that
    I enjoy a Steely Dan outing, and his involvement on their latter
    records. It doesn't hurt that the man had immense talent either.
    MB charts this together with an airy flow that occasionally borders
    on what I don't like about this period in jazz, but never quite delves
    or goes into that territory. So a tip of my cup to another great
    fallen talent and his music...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Ray Cole like this.
  23. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

WP: Tigran Hamasyan - An Ancient Observer [Nonesuch 559114-2] (2017)
    [​IMG]

Is it jazz? Classical? Third stream? World music? I think it's all of these and more. I have been completely obsessed with the music of Armenian composer/pianist Tigran Hamasyan in general--and this album and its followup For Gyumri in particular--since discovering him a few months ago.

Hamasyan is a pianist with insane pianistic chops--he won the 2006 Thelonious Monk Jazz Piano Competition (beating out Gerald Clayton and Aaron Parks, who placed 2nd and 3rd, respectively). When Herbie Hancock says, on-stage after your performance, "Tigran, you are my teacher now!" you know you've got something special.

I would describe Hamasyan's music on this album and For Gyumri as Erik Satie + Keith Jarrett + Philip Glass by way of Gyorgi Ligeti and Conlon Nancarrow. His focus on rhythm is not unusual for a jazz pianist, but he brings a laser precision to it that is. On An Ancient Observer, the clearest example of this is probably "Etude No. 1" which is filled with eighth- and sixteenth-note rests sprinkled about to offset phrases from the main beat, creating a complex, studied exercise in subdividing the pulse of the music. From the recently-released official sheet music, it looks challenging to play.

To me, even more fun and a bit less studious, is "Nairian Odyssey." There's a great moment at about 5:30 where Hamasyan establishes a steady pattern, and then, about 13 seconds later, cuts loose with a rip-roaring counter-rhythm erupting out of the bass region of the piano. It never fails to make me smile.

He closes the album with the title cut, "Ancient Observer." It's in some kind of 11 meter (11/4 or 11/8, or something like that) grouped as a repeating pattern of 4, 4, 3. Early in the piece he establishes an 11-note repeating on-the-beat pattern. Then, keeping that pattern rock steady, he plays (and sings) a beautiful, free and easy melody over the top. Then, the variations begin. He syncopates the original pattern and suddenly, what had been calm and lovely is off on a loping gallup. At about 2:20 when he (I think) begins improvising over the now-steady-again pattern, his ability to keep that pattern going while improvising so effortlessly is pretty great. Then at the end he adds these off-set accents. How does count this stuff?

NP: Tigran Hamasyan - For Gyumri [via HDtracks 96 khz/24-bit flac files]
    [​IMG]

This year he released a follow-up "EP" For Gyumri, which is really more of a short album that sort of picks up where An Ancient Observer left off. "The American" on this album is a jaunty delight. But "Self-Portrait" really showcases Hamasyan's obsession with rhythms. If I didn't know better, and you told me this piece was a lost Ligeti etude, I would have no difficulty believing it.

I'll leave you with a YouTube video of Hamasyan playing his piece, "What the Waves Brought," which he recorded on an earlier album (A Fable, also good). It shows many of the elements that characterize Hamasyan's compositions: repetition, a focus on rhythm, wordless vocals, incredible improvised passages (starting at around 3:20 after 30 seconds or so of establishing the steady bassline/chord progression), vocal counting/beatboxing, and more. It's hypnotic and virtuosic and completely has me in its thrall.

I've got tickets to see him perform live next month and cannot wait!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  24. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Yeah...that lawn ain't gettin' cut today...

[​IMG]

25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

McCoy Tyner - Cosmos

[​IMG]

from Mosaic Select 25

[​IMG]