Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'd add Tomeka Reid who had her own quartet album out a couple of years back but also appears a lot elsewhere - including on Jaimie Branch's Fly Or Die album.

Starwanderer and scompton like this.
  2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I picked this up the other week - for some reason I'd always assumed it was a compilation of old tracks as it's McLaughlin with a variety of different groupings. Nice album.

[​IMG]

Liner notes could have done with a bit of a sense-check though "Conversely , McLaughlin's mid-60s English releases, Where Fortune Smiles and Extrapolation..."

:rolleyes:

3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’m feeling a bit mysterious, time for some French detective movie music. ;)

Miles Davis - Miles in the Sky (Columbia/Legacy CD)

[​IMG]

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Nice I love Joey Calderazzo! I will search that one out. Looks like It's on Spotify. Man he looks young in that photo. Pretty sure he's from my hometown....

5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]
    Grateful Dead - Pacific Northwest '73 - '74 box set

Starting from the top - P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73, Disc 1 of 19 total. Got thousands of wedding photos to edit so here goes!

Takes 'em a minute to get the mix dialed-in as usual, but Gerry and gang are fine form.

[​IMG]

6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Tigran in Concert

bluemooze, Ray Cole and Starwanderer like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Great sounding set, speed issues if there are not obstructive. I've made it through the '73 in awe. '74 next week.

8. Lonson

I'm back to disc 1 of the Bob Dylan "1965-1966: The Cutting Edge Deluxe Edition." Just had to hear those different versions of "Love Minus Zero." Love this song!

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I listened to the 3rd & 4th discs (He’s Gone up to the end) of the 6/22/73 show again this morning before putting on McCoy Tyner. I’ve been listening to the box pretty regularly for the last two weeks or so but so far I’ve been sticking to just the first two shows.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Crispy Rob, rxcory and ianuaditis like this.
  10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I was going to stop bothering you with this George Duke compilation I'm doing. But I'm having a lot of fun going thru these CDs (and Spotify). And there is no other place in the world I can talk about it. Not to my wife, that's for sure :).

Starting to check his great tenure with Cannonball with the live records at the Troubadour.

From this one I'm picking the title track
    Black Messiah (composed by George Duke)

[​IMG]

What a performance that is. With Airto, it reminds me of some Miles Davis shows the previous year. I also like Dr Honoris Causa from the same record.

Yesterday I played George Duke with Joe Henderson.
    And the choices were:
    Canyon Lady, from the record with the same name (amazing album, one of my all time favorites).
    And Gazelle from Black Miracle.

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP his first one In The Door on BN. It has some good people on it, Branford, Brecker and an unknown to me at the time, Jerry Bergonzi. Gonz stayed with Joey for a few albums early on.

bluemooze and Mugrug12 like this.
  12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I assume you are interested in the “more blood more tracks “ releases upcoming. Im in for the lp new york sessions option. Ive made my own version ( sort of) pieced together from biography and bootleg 1-3 and the original release but my work is piecemeal at best
    Its not often you get to hear a more or less fully intact early version of an album you have slept with more times then one should say in polite company,,,

13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I love this album (and of course Leroy and Shelly are some of the best of the LA west coast scene. [​IMG]
    I have streamed some of his dial stuff from the late 40s and need to check this out more fully.
    Anyone have recommendations for that or his savoy or alladin recordings. ?

14. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

2015's Mockroot album (and the above live concert of the Mockroot music) showcases Hamasyan's rock-and-roll/heavy-metal influences. His range of stylistic interests is almost as immense as his talent on the keys. He's also released quiet, ambient, spacey music in a two-disc set from ECM, titled (appropriately enough), Atmospheres (where the signature ECM sound is 100% appropriate). And he's released an album of reworked Armenian sacred music, Luys I Luso (also on ECM), that leans a bit more toward classical music.

If you like Mockroot, check out his earlier album Red Hail (you can hear it on YouTube). "The Glass-Hearted Queen" from Red Hail seems to be in 5/4--you can almost sing Brubeck's "Take Five" melody over the top if it. It starts as an intense jazz groove, and then, halfway through, with just a small change in instrumentation, crosses over into full-on heavy metal, revealing a surprising connection between styles I never would have imagined. Hamasyan is on-record that he is a fan of Swedish metal band Meshuggah.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    jay.dee likes this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I highly doubt you are bothering any one here so keep us posted. This reminds me, earlier in the week when I was record shopping and got the LT series pressing of The Soothsayer, I also saw a record that made me think “Mr. Now digs this one so I’m going to check it out” so I got it too, hint: he’s a magic man.

16. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

This afternoon I decided to listen to music by musicians named "Kenny."

WP: Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny [xrcd]
    [​IMG]

WP: Kenny Drew - Undercurrent [xrcd]
    [​IMG]

WP: Kenny Barron - Lemuria-Seascape [Candid]
    [​IMG]

WP: Kenny Burrell and Grover Washington, Jr. - Togethering [Blue Note CDP 7 46093 2]
    [​IMG]

I ran out of steam before spinning any Kenny Wheeler or Ken Vandermark. Next time!

Cheers!

-Ray

mktracy, bluemooze, rxcory and 6 others like this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Dude, you do realize that you just solid snubbed Kenny G, right?

Ray Cole likes this.
  18. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

:laugh:

dzhason likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

:laugh:

Ray Cole likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Howard McGhee was a very nice fellow!

One time, Howard told me he would come over to my house for breakfast. When he didn't show up, I was disappointed. What I didn't know at that time was that Howard "wakes up" at about 4PM. He was over by 6PM for a little breakfast.

21. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Oh boy, after what I've read on the "where smooth jazz started" I'm afraid to say:
    Grover Washington - Mr Magic

People even mentioned kind of blue, Bill Evans, Stan Getz... as smooth jazz. So a definition is not clear.
    What is clear to me is that I don't care about labeling. There are two types of jazz to me: the one I'm playing and the one I'm not playing.

Or maybe you're talking about "now he sings now he sobs" by Chick Corea (he has some pics related with magic). If that's the one, congratulations, fantastic album.

Playing this morning,
    [​IMG]

Strawberry letter 23, great song. Had that already on another CD I have by Shuggie.

And yes, George Duke also plays on this one.

Fab-_-, bluemooze, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  22. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

The Savoy Be-Bop Sessions

[​IMG]

bluemooze, mktracy, dzhason and 2 others like this.
  23. Lonson

Oh yes, I'm in. Not buying LPs now but I have the 6 cd set on pre-order.

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Theres a chill in the air this morning which means time for some Gordy. For some reason I play his music more in the fall and winter
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, eeglug, rxcory and 4 others like this.
  25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Another day another first cup of coffee to begin it and another first listen with

Anouar Brahem
    Blue Maqams