Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this tip. I love Holland and Evan Parker but missed this release. I have not listened much to either artists work in the last decade- my bad.
    This is right in my wheelhouse.

sberger likes this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Nice! I’ve ended up with three different versions of Candy, the XRCD (which is in mono, at least according to the back of the CD), an SHM-CD and the Music Matters 33rpm (which are both in stereo), so one would think that I absolutely love this album, which is true but I hadn’t exactly come to realize this at the point when I had acquired 3 versions. I had the Music Matters first but must’ve ordered the two CD versions around the same time while forgetting that I had already ordered one on CD.

Erik B. and Ray Cole like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Excellent album!!

Yesternow likes this.
  4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

It certainly is! I just got done with the whole album, while chopping up some vegetables. Wonderful Spring\Winter type album that you could sit down and enjoy some cocoa.

Yesternow likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

What a beautiful album. I hadn't heard this one before tonight.

[​IMG]

lschwart and jazz_case like this.
  6. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Whit Dickey, Mat Maneri, Matthew Shipp - Vessel in Orbit

Catching up on a couple of Shipp related releases; picked up this and Seraphic Light from Bandcamp (i love that you can get the WAV/other lossless format files straight away while the hardcopy is making it's way to you via postal).

This is very good, although i am a bit of a Shipp fanboy in that i like almost everything he does.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer likes this.
  7. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Not sure how readily available this set is but listening through again tonight and it is well worth seeking out for a well curated journey through some of the classics.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Erik B. and markp like this.
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

bluemooze and xybert like this.
  9. Heading into orbit with The Heliocentric Worlds Of Sun Ra, Volume 2. I’ve had Volume 1 for years (and love it), but this is my first encounter with the follow-up.
    [​IMG]

10. You know, out of the many years that I've dabbled in Jazz music, this is the first night that I recall listening whilst stoned.

So good! - (which shouldn't shock anyone, as many artists whom I listened to this evening were wrecked out of their minds when these joints were recorded.) Bill Evans' Conversations with Myself, Ray Charles and Betty Carter, Billie Holiday's Stay with Me (I love her burned out voice like I do her young voice), and Lee Morgan's Lee-Way.

I foresee a lot more jazz in my near future. :D

11. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Yes! Lester Young always great!

Erik B. and xybert like this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Try some Monk next time :cool:

[​IMG]

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Or something really out there, something like On The Corner or Dark Magus by Miles Davis:D. The herbal jazz ciggies will finally be legal in Canada on Wednesday...as someone who was part of the legalization lobby back in my younger days I almost feel obligated to get a little bit legally for a change:laugh: If I do, first thing I'm playing is On The Corner!

15. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

NP: Tiger Okoshi - Color of Soil [JVC XRCD JVCXR-0207-2]
    [​IMG]
    With Tiger Okoshi: trumpet and flugelhorn; Hank Roberts: cello; Kenny Barron: piano; Jay Anderson: bass.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This one again, it sounds really nice.

Brad Allen Williams "Lamar" . . . . Williams is a great player I got to know from Jose James albums. This is a nice organ trio record.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Erik B. and Starwanderer like this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

:laugh: Lol, I will tell you that I find Monk to be pretty "out there" most of the time, regardless of his bop environment. I'm bewildered by his unique style, esp considering the time frame.

18. That's the thing that always trips me out; I guess it's a matter of legality, or the stigma associated with jazz ciggies, but one kicks back with an alcoholic beverage and listens to jazz or classical and there is much nods of approval, as the act has long been considered a gentleman's game.

Now, me, I don't touch a drop of alcohol, and on the weekends, yeah, I take a couple of puffs. It's a weird thing. Even if it's legal everywhere, anyone who partakes is just a hophead, yeah? Heh

jazz_case and ianuaditis like this.
  19. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I'm going to watch these musicians perform live tonight and I'm really excited :goodie:

Jure Pukl
    - Doubtless

Jure Pukl - tenor saxophone
    Melissa Aldana - tenor saxophone
    Joe Sanders - upright bass
    Gregory Hutchinson - drums

Doubtless, by Jure Pukl

[​IMG]

bluemooze, johnnypaddock and xybert like this.
  20. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Doubtless is a terrific album. Melissa Aldana's playing has captivated me on her own cd's and with others.

Starwanderer likes this.
  21. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

The Lester Young-Teddy Wilson Quartet Pres and Teddy (Verve 1957 / 1986 CD)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Erik B., Berthold and 3 others like this.
  22. Lonson

I didn't go for the "porch crusher" box set the Dead released a few years ago, "30 Trips Around the Sun." It was too expensive and I wasn't interested in any of the music past '78. I found someone selling the July 3, 1966 Fillmore Auditorium 2 cd set fairly affordable and bought that. Now playing disc 1. I love these early years, and the Plangent Process sure helps this to sound pretty good. . . .

I'll see if I can find any of the earlier shows in the box set similarly priced in time. Right now they are a bit too expensive.

[​IMG]

23. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I'd buy the 2/22/69 Vallejo show, just to have it on CD, if it were a normal CD price, but the scalpers be scalpin'.

Erik B. and ianuaditis like this.
  24. Lonson

Word.

Erik B. and ianuaditis like this.
  25. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

How many jazz albums do you have, Lonson? Did you have to buy a 2nd house for em?

Erik B. likes this.