Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

[In the most sarcastic tone imaginable] Thanks for for making this old boy feel so welcomed! :rolleyes:

2. Mirror Image

Eric Dolphy Quintet: Outward Bound (RVG Remaster)

[​IMG]

Marzz, Xelfo, Soulpope and 11 others like this.
  3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, I think it's a good idea, not just for the searchability, but for anyone who may be surfing this site with a text reader. I've previously been in the habit of just posting the pix, but since you mentioned it I've added the artist and title in the text. I'm all in. It's a good idea.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I, for one, hope you stick around. Anyone who resembles Mingus is OK in my world. I always assume that posters look like their avatars. My wife says I should get a new picture taken with our current cat.

5. Mirror Image

Thank you, @Tribute. :) I’m definitely going to be sticking around as I definitely like the vibe here and there are many members, like yourself, who exhibit a great knowledge of this music we love.

Fender Relic, Berthold, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Good stuff. A couple of years ago my wife and I had a staycation where we did a pile of things that we, as native NYers, never did -- like visit Ellis Island. and, yes, take a trip to the Armstrong House Museum. It was great, and I know they had big plans at the time -- they had acquired a property across the street...cool to see that they've digitized all this stuff. Not sure exactly what they're planning with what's on the web (other than, it would appear, to monetize it) -- but what's there's not that sensibly searched or navigated at the moment. But the layout in the paper is cool.

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Members here know I post many photos.

But despite that old adage:
    "A picture is worth a thousand words"
    I have learned (through my experience recording my grandparents) that:
    "The sound of a voice is worth a thousand pictures."

I guess that means, "The sound of a voice is worth a million words"

Very true. I wish my parents had been willing to allow me to record them!

Fender Relic and Berthold like this.
  8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Jesse Blue And The Blazers
    Essential Sound Jazz Cafe

I found this album on Tidal and I am really enjoying it. For the life of me I can't find any information on this group or anywhere to buy a CD of this album. I've used Tidal since July 2017 and if I cannot find this it will be among 6 other titles that I discovered on Tidal that I could not find a physical release to purchase. It is not a major trend but I do think it is becoming more so of a trend.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

This one caught my eye on my LP shelf yesterday and I almost played it but it caused me to peruse the Dolphy section on my CD shelf where I happened to pick up the Illinois Concert and notice the date of the performance was so close to the Herbie album I’d just listened that I decided to play the concert album instead.

Mirror Image likes this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Tonight I’m feeling Grateful and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s hard to beat fall ‘73 Dead so I’m going to listen to a bit of the first set of this next one before I call it a night.

November 14, 1973, San Diego Sports Arena (from 30 Trips Around the Sun box)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    frightwigwam and Lonson like this.
  11. Mirror Image

It’s a swinging album. Great fun, too. Hubbard has some tasty solos throughout. Dolphy, of course, is Dolphy. So odd yet so cool. :cool: I like the At the Five Spot albums and Far Cry a lot as well.

Thread duty:

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Jazz Impressions of New York (Sony/Legacy remaster)

[​IMG]

JeffMo, Berthold, Jazzicalit and 3 others like this.
  12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

There were a couple of 10" albums on Savoy. There's another Uptown album of early live stuff & a similar album on the Marshmallow label.

Stu02 and Mugrug12 like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

How did Riverside's chicanery come to light? Who was to blame & how did it lead to the label going under?

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I got this 2-LP reissue recently at a 25-cent sale. Produced by Frank Driggs. Remastered by Don Miller. Love the use of that beautiful Bluebird label.

Berthold likes this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Another from the sale. 1975 reissue of a 1958 RCA Victor LP. Lewis composed, orchestrated & conducted, but only plays piano on "Two Degrees East-Three Degrees West", which was orchestrated by Gunther Schuller. Percy Heath & Connie Kay are along, but the featured soloists are British baritone player Ronnie Ross & Czech flautist Gerry Weinkopf. Recorded in Stuttgart, 2/20-21/58. Remastered by Gary Rice.

Berthold likes this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Your post that I quoted, IMO, is argumentative and confrontational, and shows no concern on your part over being welcomed, and in fact indicates disdain for cooperating/getting along with the very people who have welcomed you, myself included.

Berthold likes this.
  17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I think he was just joking. Also he wrote the names of the albums like folks requested so water under bridge!

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

If you like this the original Studio Lp 2 degrees east 3 degrees west is one of my favorites of his.

Six String likes this.
  19. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

An ECM heavy Sunday here- some Jarrett earlier, now Jack Dejohnette's Made in Chicago (2015) from the Art Ensemble and associated ensembles box.

[​IMG]

Marzz, jay.dee, xybert and 3 others like this.
  20. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I've been thinking about why most people here do Conversation first and then Jazz, instead of Jazz & Conversation.

I guess it's related to the hemisphere you're in.
    [​IMG]

Will play one that I have some mixed feelings about. See if another play helps.

Les McCann - Much Les
    [​IMG]

Stu02 likes this.
  21. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Paul Chambers "Mosaic Select 2"

[​IMG]

22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

For some unaccountable reason I don't have this - one of only three studio sessions I don't own of Miles.

Now playing - a shame that this and the live In Europe was the only output of this lineup. I particularly like the closer - Silver Hollow - with DeJohnette playing piano.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Starwanderer, xybert and 4 others like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bill Grauer, the co-founder and co-owner of Riverside Records with Orrin Keepnews, died suddenly of a heart attack at the end of 1963. Though musicians had grumbled about being cheated for a long time before that, they were ignored. But as all financial records are frozen at death (in New York), the books were then opened and examined in a legal procedure and revealed to be phony. Riverside was declared bankrupt about 6 months after his death. Though a very small number of titles were reissued by ABC records over the next 8 years, it was not until the Fantasy company bought the catalog in 1972 that serious reissues began. Fantasy also licensed them to Japan, which did a large vinyl reissue series. I do not know if Riverside under Fantasy had financial obligations to recording artists, but I suspect they were minimal. If so, that probably extends to the current owner, Concord.

Blame? Keepnews, co-owner of the label, claimed to know nothing. I don't believe there were any further proceedings beyond the bankruptcy declaration which probably ended it and all other obligations.

vanhooserd likes this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Speaking of Grauer/Keepnews....I'm spinning this one on Jazzland.

Great Sunday morning vibe as I'm waking up slowly,stretching, and cooking brefas. Lightly swinging with good songs and playing. :edthumbs:

Cool cover and I hope they got paid for these sessions.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Six String, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  25. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

We won’t tell her you told us. :whistle:

dzhason and Lonson like this.