Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Treasury Broadcast No.5 [5/12/45] [on Vol. 3 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

[​IMG]

With Rex Stewart, ct; Cat Anderson, Shelton Hemphill, Taft Jordan, t; Ray Nance, t, vn; Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, tb; Claude Jones, vtb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Otto Hardwick, as, cl; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs, cl, bcl; Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy, g; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d; Al Hibbler, Joya Sherrill, Ray Nance, Kay Davis, Marie Ellington, voc.

Titles include: Riff Staccato, Harlem Air Shaft, The Jeep is Jumping, I Miss Your Kiss, Blue Cellophane, Prelude To A Kiss, Caravan, In A Mellotone

rxcory, Marzz, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That cover looks like the view from my front window a half an hour ago when the wind blew snow off my roof and the trees in the front!

No jazz for me this morning. . .my wife decided not to try to get to work. . . so it's trash tv instead. Oh well.

SteelyTom likes this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Misty (TBM) reissued vinyl

I love the sound of the piano on this recording and it's gentle on my synapses when I first arise.

soundfanz and Lonson like this.
  4. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

When it comes to wives and trash tv, I can relate, believe me….

DTK, Starwanderer and Lonson like this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

No kidding. I picked up HBO recently. I always avoided it due to cost, but it's saved precious time away from day and night trash tv. We haven't watched anything on Bravo for months as a result. I don't even know what Judge Judy looks like anymore. @Lonson see if you can sneak in a DVD or something.

Lonson likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Miles & Gil Evans - Sketches Of Spain (Columbia) mono Legacy reissue.
    It's been a while so I'm really enjoying the music a bit more than usual.

7. Lonson

I managed to put on Haydn piano trios by the Beaux Arts Trio while she is in the next room on the computer getting mail and Facebook updates. Works for me, and she likes this type of music far more than jazz (her favorite music is Dixie Chicks and The Judds and Steve Earle; I love her so put up with it when I have to). We have HBO. . . but she doesn't watch anything on it. . . sigh. . .I watch a few shows though, during the day via DVR. :) I'm a tv junkie too so I understand. . . we watch about a third of the shows together, and each a third separately, it works out. When she's home I let her watch what she wants, she works, I don't.

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Well I feel your pain. When my lady is traveling the TV gets plenty of rest at the house, especially during summer when there's no bball or football.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I know Lonson enjoys Slim Gaillard. I picked up this very nice 78 album for $1 today, with a classic David Stone Martin cover, all intact. Plus a small pile of bop 78s

[​IMG]

fingerpoppin, Marzz, alankin1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ben Webster - At The Renaissance (Analogue Productions) lp
    Originally recorded for Contemporary Records, Koenig forgot to get Ben to sign a contract so the recording was held up for a couple of decades and then AP reissued this one with Doug Sax in the mastering chair. Ben walks around some during this performance but it doesn't bother me a bit. The performance is worth it.

Jim Hall - g
    Jimmy Rowles - p
    Red Mitchell - b
    Frank Butler - d
    Ben Webster - ts

11. Lonson

That's mellow oroonie man! Great score! Love this music, it's better than anti-depressants!

12. Lonson

I like this one a lot, what a group behind Ben, and this was one of the first times, years ago, when I noticed the unique wonder that is Jimmy Rowles at the piano, and I started collecting his leader dates.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

A new Les McCann title?

14. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

A little bit of festive Jazz....

[​IMG]

Ella Fitzgerald Rudoph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Composed By – John Marks*
    2:52
    2 –Kenny Burrell Merry Christmas, Baby
    Composed By – Johnny Moore (2), Lou Baxter
    3:25
    3 –Billy Eckstine Christmas Eve
    Composed By – Carleton Carpenter
    3:03
    4 –Ramsey Lewis Here Comes Santa Claus
    Composed By – Gene Autry, Oakley Haldeman
    2:39
    5 –Joe Williams Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    Composed By – Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn
    4:35
    6 –John Coltrane Greensleeves
    Composed By – Traditional
    3:48
    7 –Mel Tormé The Christmas Song
    Composed By – Mel Tormé, Robert Wells (2)
    2:45
    8 –Louis Armstrong 'Zat You, Santa Claus?
    Composed By – Jack Fox (2)
    2:48
    9 –Shirley Horn Winter Wonderland
    Composed By – Dick Smith (3), Felix Bernard
    4:08
    10 –Bill Evans Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
    Composed By – Haven Gillespie, J. Fred Coots
    4:25
    11 –Count Basie Good Morning, Blues
    Composed By – Count Basie, Eddie Durham, Jimmy Rushing
    3:14
    12 –Jimmy Smith Jingle Bells
    Composed By – J. S. Pierpont*
    3:11
    13 –Dinah Washington Silent Night
    Composed By – Franz Gruber, Joseph Mohr
    2:21
    14 –Oscar Peterson A Child Is Born
    Composed By – Thad Jones

rxcory likes this.
  15. Lonson

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I get mellow oroonie just holding an original from back when only crazy people and weirdos bought this kind of thing

Lonson likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This was one of the Lester Young 78s in the pile. For 25 cents, I had a religious experience
    [​IMG]
    and another
    [​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Ah, I see. I noticed that the Water label doesn't show Les McCann as one of their releases anymore. The Water CD sounds very, very good. I love that label also for their Eddie Gale releases. A person should grab those before they go back out-of-print.

19. Lonson

Totally agree jkm, those are great reissues. As are any of the other jazz reissues from Water. They did a great job.

Electric likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Feel for you. But Earle ain't bad at all really; basically all his music is heartfelt and pure. He doesn't give a 1000th of a **** what people think about him or his music, which is very rare... like Miles :)

21. Lonson

Well, then he won't mind that I can leave him more than I can take him. Just not my cup of tea. ;) (I do appreciate his artistry).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

To the contrary, I believe Miles cared very, very deeply....which was not a bad thing.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A beautiful David Stone Martin drawing was the cover of this great Flip Philips 10 inch LP on Norman Granz' Mercury label, in the 25 cent pile at a garage sale

[​IMG]

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

What I meant was he never let his audience or critics dictate his direction; otherwise, no Birth of the Cool, absolutely no Coltrane, no Bitches Brew, no On the Corner.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Very interesting, I didn't know anyone besides Emm Labs could send DSD through a disc transport to external DAC. I heard an earlier iteration of my DAC that converted all signals to 5.6 MHz bitstream and it had a smooth sound. Some people are doing what the Directstream DAC does via the HQPlayer software, there is a huge thread on it at Computer Audiophile.

Now playing disc 3 and 4 the complete Amsterdam concert from this box; one of my favorite jazz boxes from the 2000s.

(B) Johnny Coles, tp; Eric Dolphy, as, fl, b cl; Clifford Jordan, ts; Jaki Byard, p; Charles Mingus, b; Dannie Richmond, d.
    Recorded live at the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam on April 10, 1964

[/img]

Westworld has been my HBO addiction.