Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Thanks, I'll keep a lookout for a copy.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that....I thought I had a couple of that too, but now that I think about it, where the hell is it, I don't think I've heard that in years......

3. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Now playing. Love this great 4 disc overview of the Impulse label. The book that compliments it ain't too shabby either!

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Paolino Dalla Porta / Kenny Wheeler / Stefano Battaglia / Bill ElgartTales [from The Complete Soul Note Recordings box] (Soul Note 121244RM-2 — CAM Jazz)
    — Paolino Dalla Porta (bass), Kenny Wheeler, (trumpet, flugelhorn), Stefano Battaglia (piano), Bill Elgart (drums)

[​IMG]

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just like Norman Granz deserves credit, Bob Thiele deserves much applause for his own vision in allowing musicians freedom on the Impulse label.
    Bob Thiele - Wikipedia

Aura, ssmith3046 and alamo54us like this.
  6. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Yes, it does indeed look like a very nice compilation, alamo54us!
    And is that the Ashley Kahn book you are referring to? I had been meaning to borrow it from the library--but then forgot about it. :shake:

7. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Indeed! I picked the book up at a discount price shortly after finding a used copy of the CD collection. Both fine additions to my libraries.
    I also enjoyed Kahn's books on "A Love Supreme" and "Kind of Blue."

Jacline likes this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Larry CoryellToku Do (Muse Records)
    — With Stanley Cowell, Buster Williams, Beaver Harris; tunes by Buster Williams, Coltrane, Monk, Ellington, plus two jazz standards and a CD bonus track of a Stanley Cowell tune.

[​IMG]

9. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Hello. This old-school jazz dinosaur strikes again with:
    [​IMG]
    A very good vocal and instrumental album by Cannonball Adderley and Nancy Wilson, recorded in 1961. Not extraordinary but, when you need that kind of music, it totally delivers. Cannonball on alto throughout, I think.

10. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Following Nancy Wilson and CA with one of my favorite Jackie McLean albums:
    [​IMG]
    Capuchin Swing (1960).

11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Going tenor with Hank's Straight No Filter

Picked up the Connoisseur CD in the used bins (floating among several other Mobley Blue Note CD-Rs :cry: - really hate these things are finding their way into the used bins! If you don't want the CD-Rs, be sure to open them and check the CD itself. If it wasn't for the thread here in these forums I'd have never known any better).

Love the melodies Hank and his trumpet players (Byrd, Morgan and Hubbard) lock into on these tracks. Great pick up. Unbelievable this wasn't released til '86.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

CaravanShow of Our Lives — Live at the BBC 1968-1975 - CD 1 (Deram / Decca Music)

[​IMG]

It's jazzy...in some places.

Stu02, rockinlazys, Soulpope and 5 others like this.
  15. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Since I am nothing except predictable :shake:, I have this album ready on my MP3 player right now:
    [​IMG]

McCoy Tyner Live at Newport (1963). Another most excellent example of hard bop.

16. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

It is great music, BB. :righton:

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Last one tonight is Tyner's The Real McCoy which I'd planned on listening to before your post...great minds!

18. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Peas in a pod, I tell ya.

:hugs:

19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I was thinking about female jazz singers, since I posted the Nancy Wilson album, and I'm strangely all verklempt right now: Liza with a Z could have been a great one.

She is one of my idols, and I'll be devastated (well... you know what I mean) when she dies:

Liza Minnelli, "God Bless the Child" (1972).

20. Seeing McCoy Tyner 'live' should be a compulsory bucket list item for anyone with ears..

21. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Fastskill? Why did you abruptly change your avatar, my friend? How long do you think it will take this old woman to get used to the new one? Geez... No respect for your elders, I swear... ;)

22. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I saw George Adams with a sextet version of Mingus Dynasty in the early 90's with Craig Handy, Jack Walrath. The George Adams / Don Pullen group was so good, and they left us many great recordings.

23. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have seen McCoy 25 times since 1990. Some of the best times with my wife.

24. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I definitely believe in spring this week (65 degrees in late February!)

25. It was an accident, pressed the wrong button on my iPad. Was on the train etc. Big Man's tirade about bathroom avatars got me thinking if I could update mine on my ipad. Short answer, not really.

Jacline likes this.