Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I just discovered Wilen talking to a knowledgable barkeep at a cool bar in Paris last summer during the Euros. I picked up a few wilen LPs ( on Sam records ) later that afternoon.
    This sounds incredible. Too bad it's RSD only.
    I missed out on the bill Evans live Lp last year and now anticipate a repeat w this

DTK likes this.
  2. Only Jimmy Cobb has made it to 70. Of the others Miles is the only one who made it to 60!
    I saw Jimmy Cobb perform the KoB album outdoors on a glorious summer's day in Paris back in July 2000 as part of the Paris Jazz Festival with Wallace Roney, Benny Green, Mark Turner, Vincent Herring and Buster Williams. It was 10 Fr admission to the beautiful Parc Floral. Great times...

JeffMo, David Ellis and Lonson like this.
  3. Monk and Barney Wilen on vinyl, together! Wow! I'll be all over this like a rash if it shows up in Japan. I'll get the cd's if not. I recall reading about Monk in the context of a soundtrack for this film. His name appears on the artwork for the music Art Blakey did, but I never got to hear Monk's contributions. Wonderful that this should appear for his centenary. Nice photos on that page too, not seen them before.
    Thanks, Lon. :edthumbs:

Lonson likes this.
  4. I get almost daily updates from Disk Union/ Tokyo Jazz and so far nothing about this one. I picked up a couple of the Black Lion sessions mastered by Bernie Grundman and sold here on previous RSD's so I'd expect to see some vinyl find it's way over here. Monk, along with Miles and Coltrane is a deity in this country so the interest will be immense.
    It is kind of ridiculous that it's limited release. Couldn't they have reached out to the Monk estate and arranged for this to be available globally? Seems like an opportunity missed in his centenary year.
    I'm something of a Wilen completist so I'd grab it anyway, but since Monk sits on the highest branch of my musical tree and he's playing with one of my all-time favourite tenorists this could turn out to be the highlight of the year for me.

sberger and Lonson like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

It's interesting that this is a Record Day release, like many of you I would suspect this would have a broad appeal on vinyl and needn't be a limited release. That it is coming out as a two cd set works for me, I don't buy too much new vinyl and I will be happy to have the cd set. Can't wait!

DTK likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I've seen a reissue of this on MOV in the local shop but I'm kind of hoping MoFi, AP, ORG, etc would do a reissue sometime in the near future.

Although, I just checked out the track listing of the original LP and realized that some of my favorite tracks (e.g. Recollections and The Little Blue Frog) were not on the original LP but only on the CD reissue. Oh well, I guess I'll have to get by with the versions on the Complete Bitches Brew CDs.

Lonson likes this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Up until this I don't recall really seeing anything that caught my interest in the RSD list. I'm gonna have to talk to the local shop owner to see if he can try to get it in for RSD.

Lonson likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wow that makes three jazz albums I want on RSD. I'll be ok with the cds but the vinyl is first choice. That sample cut of the Monk music sounded terrific. I could have sworn I've seen an OST of that film with a different artist? I must be mixing something up.

Edit: ok for once I'm not mistaken. Here's a link to a Duke Jordan album for the film. I had a copy at ne time but it was not in great shape and I ended up selling it off. I need to do some investigation.

Duke Jordan - Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Another night of late night working, and, after last night's literal Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet experience, I've decided that my endeavor to chronologically listen to my Miles collection and to listen to my new MM final set must be saved for dedicated listening sessions. So, for tonight's working session I've decided to put on something electronic and non-jazz to serve as background music:

Mouse on Mars - Instrumentals (THRILL 095, CD)

[​IMG]

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Still working, now playing: Kaki King - Dreaming of Revenge

[​IMG]

scompton likes this.
  12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Lonson, do you have a link to the one just released? I've been wanting to get this for a long time.

13. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this, it made me dig mine out, what a pleasure.

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

What were the other 2 jazz albums? I didn't notice any others when I looked, but I just did a quick scan through the list.

15. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Santana - Lotus

2016 Audio Fidelity AFZ2 247 double SACD mastered by Steve Hoffman

Recorded July 3 - 4, '73 at Koseinenkin Hall, Osaka Japan

First spin. On the second disc now and just enamored by it - strong performances, well recorded, and mastered to perfection.

[​IMG]

16. Lonson

Electric likes this.
  17. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

I saw the same band at the Tower of London Festival the same year. Managed to see Wallace Roney at Ronnie Scott's this week. Benny Golson is playing at Ronnie Scott's next month. He is 88!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What are the other 2 you are interested in?

19. Lonson

In May Sony is releasing this on three SACDs with surround and 35 extra minutes, also including deluxe packaging. I couldn't help myself, I ordered a copy.

rxcory likes this.
  20. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Today opens with this.

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Been on a solo piano kick of late. Mal Waldron's Meditations, recorded live at Dug in '72, is excellent.

David Ellis, miklew, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Art Tatum's Solo Masterpieces are a wonderful listen as well.

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Not a jazz album per se, but features some of my favorite contemporary jazz musicians:

Rebecca Martin - The Growing Season (Sunnyside Records, SSC 1178, CD)
    with
    Rebecca Martin - vocals, guitar
    Kurt Rosenwinkel - guitar and too many others to list
    Larry Grenadier - bass
    Brian Blade - drums

[​IMG]

24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

25. Lonson

Today's Dylan break: Greatest Hits Vol.2, the SACD version mastered by our host.

I've always loved the tunes with Happy Traum that were never released before this issue, and the track that was only a single side, "Watchin' the River Flow" and the outtake from that session that had never been issued, "When I Paint My Masterpiece." That's the reason I bought the album when it was first released, and they still hold up really well.

[​IMG]

hyde park, markp, miklew and 5 others like this.