Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

All this talk about Dylan, no one mentioned this one.
    Nashville Skyline
    [​IMG]

markp, rxcory, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Have to admit. . .my least favorite Dylan. But now it's been mentioned!

Right now
    [​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mobile Fidelity often destroys the graphic art of its LPs with their ego laden MFSL banner. The graphic art is an important element!

4. Lonson

IMO graphic art is way down the scale. . . I'd listen to the music I love if the cover were brown paper. :)

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

My favorite Monk lp, it was the first lp of his I ever bought. The 45 rpm version is as sublime as it gets, and certainly as close as I'll ever get to having the man in my living room. Love the black Riverside labels, too.

[​IMG]

6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

How is the Art Blakey material from this soundtrack, seen it but never got around to picking it up.

7. Lonson

I personally haven't listened to it in ages. But I remember it as being pretty darned good.

8. Lonson

Right now
    Incredible sound. Awesome music.

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz, rxcory, autodidact and 3 others like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is true, but I still don't believe that classic cover art should be messed with - especially with banners.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Before I ever knew about MFSL, I vaguely remember seeing a CD here and there on occasion back in the day and, from the look of the covers, assumed they were some poor quality knock off thing, haha! I guess I never looked at the price tag or something. The ones like this:

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yeah, same here. :doh:

12. Lonson

Just doesn't really matter to me much at all. . . . I've easily printed out alternate covers for a few cds that didn't use original covers I liked, etc.

I'd love the Mobile Fidelity SACDs produced this decade in a blank clear jewel box!

dzhason likes this.
  13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I kinda wish they'd put'em in a jewel box like the ones Analogue Productions uses for their SACDs.

After the Dylan talk again today and the Nashville Skyline Mofi from earlier, I was going to put on my CD of Nashville Skyline but I discovered my box of rock CDs only contains Hendrix - Tool, so no Dylan for me, but...

Becca Stevens Band Tea By Sea just barely snuck in there, so:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have known many collectors who discarded their cover art (or a significant part of it) and later became dismayed when they realized what they had done. Classic example is tossing all the Mosaic books. At used vinyl shops, there is virtually zero interest in vinyl missing its cover, same with CDs of course.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I don't know that one. Prior to his Impulse and Atlantic recrdings I assume?

NP Carl Perkins - Ntroducing....(Boplicity) cd reissue of Dootone lp. Remastered.

I have never seen it on lp, even reissues. The sound is fine on the cd but I'd love to have an original or Japanese reissue lp.

16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

So very seldom do I find any gems around here...There are a couple of records stores but they charge top dollar (you are way better off shopping online)

That being said I still make a round every once in a while...And what do I see:

[​IMG]

record is a dirty NM, (sleeve is in pretty bad shape) "Vangelder" stamped 70's repress...

not an easy record to find these days...

$16.00

even a blind squirrel gets a nut...

17. Lonson

Well, I don't discard anything purchased with a disc, certainly not Mosaic material. . . though I rarely sell discs. But it's the music for me, not the rest of the attending stuff.

David Ellis likes this.
  18. Lonson

Yes, this was from '57, during his Savoy period--he didn't I think have an exclusive contract with Savoy/Regent. It was his third recording session as a leader, right after "Jazz Mood" and right before "Jazz and the Sounds of Nature," both on Savoy. I love Lateef from his first few years of recording as a leader, really exciting and thought provoking music.

Six String likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Nice find! I'm pretty fortunate as the record shop in my town is always getting cool stuff in all genres. It shares store space with a Hifi shop (one big room and a smaller 50ยข room for the record shop and a medium sized room for the Hifi shop) that has a Klaudio Ultrasonic cleaner and I go down there probably once a week to get something cleaned. I've found that I can't even look through the door into the record shop if I want to get out of there with just a cleaning. For example, I went down at lunch today to just get a record cleaned, I looked in the room and on the wall was an '82 OJC-006 of The New Miles Davis Quintet that I of course ended up buying.

Now playing:

Clark Terry - Top and Bottom Brass (OJCCD-764-2)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I'm glad someone else had the guts to mention this. I never buy MFSL for precisely this reason. I am convinced I am being utterly ridiculous yet I can't get past it.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I didn't like it at first, but, I'm also on the fence... part of me has gotten used to it and likes it because it makes it easily recognizable but the other part feels it messes up the art. I suppose they could have some sort of sticker on the bag that would give it the brand visibility, similar to how Analogue Productions does, without messing with the cover art.

Ultimately, though, I take the same stance as @Lonson on this one.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Enrico Rava - The Words And The Days (ECM) 2007
    I don't play Rava's music as often as I think I should, or at least that is what I think when I do play his music.

jeffsjazz and ronfint like this.
  23. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk- Straight, No Chaser (Impex)
    [​IMG]
    Great reissue. Currently on Side 4 listening to Monk "stride away" on Between
    The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'll pull the box set out for this, music I could never tire of!

25. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Still a favorite. Wayne Shorter's role here is on a level with Herbie's. A beautiful album.

Also on this evening's thread inspired playlist, "Money Jungle," and Jose James "Yesterday I had the Blues."