Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Brad Mehldau - The Art of the Trio, vol. 2, Live at the Village Vanguard

[​IMG]

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Not a jazz album, although Legrand has recorded as a jazz artist. This is a later reissue of the 1961 stereo remake of his hit 1954 mono LP, with one song omitted. File under: Easy Listening. The nutty thing is that since in 1961 mono was still in demand, this was also issued in mono. Liner notes by Aram Avakian, brother of great jazz producer George Avakian. Aram co-directed & edited 'Jazz On A Summer's Day', a documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival.

jeffsjazz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Another recent acquisition from HMV Canada's closing sale.

[​IMG]

This is the RVG mastering, and I can't complain about the sound for the few dollars I paid for it.

Music is quite enjoyable. I don't have an exhaustive set of Hutcherson recordings (about a half dozen albums), but what I have heard is very fine.

4. brimuchmuze

Nice album, although it's too bad Joni could not have been on all tracks.

5. brimuchmuze

jay.dee, Six String and miklew like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sounds like you like this reissue, do you have any other Impex (and opinions on them)? I have yet to get anything from Impex. Seems like Michael Fremer had a high opinion of Impex's Monk's Dream. I have a ton of Monk on CD (Complete Riverside, Complete Blue Note and Complete Pretige boxes, and many of the individual Columbias) but haven't picked up much on vinyl yet. Monk's Dream and Straight, No Chaser would be great places to start, these albums have three of my favorite (least often recorded as far as on the albums I have) Monk tunes: "We See", "Locomotive", and "Monk's Dream".

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Brad Mehldau nearly melted my face off, so have to cool off with some chill electronic music:

Mouse on Mars - Vulvaland

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

I have a few other Impex reissues. Miles @ The Blackhawk and ESP. Miles @ the Blackhawk is exceptional. ESP is very good but the recent Mofi eclipses it IMO. In general I find Impex vinyl to be a bit noiser than other high end reissue labels but more than acceptable. I'm running a 2M Black which is a pretty revealing cartridge so your mileage may vary. I've been meaning to pick up Monk's Dream so thanks for the reminder!

9. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I don't think it ridiculous at all, I understand why Lonsom for instance is not at all concerned with artwork and as he states it is all about the music. After all it is about the music for us all but I think for MFSL to slap their ID all over a record demonstrates that they are about them first, to me, and this is all personal opinion of course, it feels like they are shouting 'look, we made a classic album better and you know who did it'. When I buy a good suit I expect to know who made it, but I don't expect it plastered all over a classic suit ruining the look before I get to put it on and in the same vain I don't want album covers to do the same.

Stu02, Lonson and Tribute like this.
  10. Phillip Walch

[​IMG]
    Totally not a Jazz day today.

rxcory, rockinlazys, BKphoto and 4 others like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Sinatra estate had a big dispute with MFSL about this. The Sinatras did not want the original cover art molested by MFSL with their "Look at ME!" banner.

To MFSL: Just put your ID (in very small print, preferably) on the back of the cover so that those who buy your product can prove they have the MFSL replica of the album.

Fender Relic and Stu02 like this.
  12. Phillip Walch

I think ultimately it is all a personal thing and while I am certainly not a fan of the artwork there are some who probably buy off the back of it, a status thing maybe or a symbol of quality. Each to their own.

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm with Lon, can't be bothered with the MoFi banner, especially when the sound is superb. It would be better without it but I'm not turning away these great Miles reissues because of a banner on the cover.

NP Enrico Rava - New York Days (ECM) cd
    Workng on playing more Rava......

14. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Moot point. Don't really want to prolong the debate but it depends how good your vinyl source is compered to your CD source. In my case my TT set up is far superior to the CD so even digital sourced LPs, in most case, sound better. That's not to say that CDs are not more than adequate and a lot cheaper.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Didn't get to listen to the whole album the other day so doing a repeat on

Hank Mobley (Music Matters 33)

[​IMG]

16. Phillip Walch

17. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I have a few Impex LPs and you just can't fault the sound quality IMO. Always get them if some music I fancy is issued though they are getting a bit pricey here now.

dzhason likes this.
  18. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Speaking of Hank Mobley:

[​IMG]

Someone posted this album along with YT tracks in the Mobley FB group recently. I'd never heard it but man, I love this. Probably my favorite of his discography that I've heard so far.

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You have some nice toys, I mean gear, Lon. I would love to hear that, although that player is not in my current budget/lifestyle so maybe it is better to not hear that yet!

My low end Samsung BR player is acting wonky so I'm starting to get more serious about finding a universal player to handle my vast array of discs (CD/SACD/DVD-v, DVD-a, BR-v, BR-a). Very confusing and frustrating that there are no standard formats and all these competing companies pushing their technologies/products.

Jazz: Monk's Dream, on regular cd. LOL

Lonson and dzhason like this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last night- Kenny Dorham Showboat, an album that flew under the radar for me for many years.

[​IMG]

rxcory, jeffsjazz, Six String and 3 others like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. I'd really like to get the two Monk ones from Impex. I'd like to get the live Miles one two, ESP I'd prefer to get the MoFi as, on the OCD front that was being discussed yesterday, it will fit in better on the shelf with the rest of my Miles MoFis. Actually, for that reason I'd prefer it if MoFi would release that one too, but I don't think they will any time this year though.

I always kinda liked DVD-a better than SACD and was hoping that it would win out over SACD, but no such luck.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. Phillip Walch

I am with you there, I really like DVD-a.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Have you heard Pure Audio BR discs yet? That seems to be the latest trend, and I do have a couple of those now myself.

Non jazz at the moment: Bowie, live Nassau Coliseum '76

dzhason likes this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I recently bought a Cambridge Audio CXU when it was first discounted, ti's even cheaper now, and it plays a lot of formats and sounds pretty darned good for the price. May be a good one to investigate. . . .

dzhason and JeffMo like this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This is a great session. I have it on a Connoisseur CD, a Toshiba EMI Japan cd that shares this cover and two vinyl rips from two different jazz friends. I'd love an SACD. . . won't happen, but I'd love it! Great music.

rxcory, jeffsjazz and Bobby Buckshot like this.