Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

So far I have gotten the Steven Wilson titles but not much else. I have a few other choice bits but it is not a format I have investigated thoroughly yet, though I would say that Hand.Cannot.Erase is pretty sounds very good.

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My only caveat with Impex is they often have to resort to remixes and I have never heard a Sony 3-track remix that sounds like the original mix. Sony are more often not using the vintage tube equipment they would have in the 60/70s.

Kevin Gray, their mastering engineer, does exceptional work with what he is given. So far their track record is excellent and their jackets are high quality. Miles Davis E.S.P. is the only one I sold soon after getting it.

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Markus StockhausenSol Mestizo: Markus Stockhausen plays the music of Enrique Diaz (ACT World Jazz)

[​IMG]

Personnel: Markus Stockhausen - tp, flhorn; Enrique Diaz - bass, vcl; Philip Catherine - g; Chano Dominguez - p; Simon Stockhausen - keyb, soprano sax; Jochen Schmidt - el-bass; Felipe Mandingo - perc; Thomas Alkier - dr; Juanita Lascarr, Alexandra Naumann - vcl
    — This recording is based on a composition by the Chilean musician Diaz written for the 500th anniversary of the Spanish conquest of the Americas.
    — Recorded at CMP Studio, Zerkall, Germany by Walter Quintus (15 April 1949 - 20th February 2017, R.I.P.)

[​IMG]

4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Enjoy your nuts bushy-tail! That's a sweet pick-up!

BKphoto likes this.
  5. Phillip Walch

[​IMG]
    Now playing

rxcory, AaronW, dzhason and 2 others like this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Streaming this now...Awesome.

hvbias likes this.
  7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I picked up a nice used Liberty press of this a month ago, love the opening suite and especially the track Justine on side 1 and dig You Gotta Hit It that opens side 2. Solid Mobley record.

rxcory and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yeah, that opening suite is meditative then punchy and everything else beyond. I was hooked from the first note.

9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I was at first disappointed with that release because Stefano Bollani wasn't on it and I loved Easy Living by Rava but it's a solid CD and one I have grown to enjoy. I got to see Enrico Rava live in a smallish venue about 8 years ago in Foligno Italy, great show.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I think the Yes 5.1 remixes by Steven Wilson would count as Pure Audio Blu-ray discs, correct? I've picked up all 5 of those in the last few months and I like the format. I don't have anything against SACD really, I don't claim to be able to hear the difference between a SACD and DVD-a. A big reason why I liked DVD-a (which I admit may be kind of dumb) is because I better understand how PCM encoding represents a sound wave digitally (and how increasing sample rate/bit-depth increases the fidelity to the original wave). DSD, on the other hand, I do not understand.

I had my eye on the CXU. Seems like most people (or a lot, from what I've read in forums) have one of Oppo's, either the BDP-103 or 105 I believe. Although, my Denon DVD-2200 that I've had since about '02-'03 is still serving me pretty well, so I'm not in a big hurry to get something new. I don't recall if the players just mentioned support the 4k blu-ray format yet, so I figure I'll either hold out until that becomes standard or until my DVD-2200 dies out (80-90% of the time it won't play CDs, and it never will play any of the DTS branded DVD-a discs, but it still plays the SACD layer and regular DVD-a discs like a champ; fortunately the discs it won't play will play in my cheapo Samsung BR player).

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The Steve Wilson aren't "Pure Audio" per se though they are Blu-ray audio of varying resolution levels.

There are two things going by "Pure Audio":

"High Fidelity Pure Audio" High Fidelity Pure Audio - Wikipedia These I'm familiar with, I have a half a dozen jazz titles on Universal, and they sound very good. They can be operated without a TV or monitor screen, which is really nice--my transport reads and plays these back and it does not have a video connection so it's a neat format. Maybe there will be more titles released. .. we'll see.

"Pure Audio Blu-ray" Pure Audio Blu-ray A German company with a lot of titles. I've heard really good things about them, I have not heard any of them. They require (I have been led to believe) a TV or monitor screen to select the audio, chapters, tracks etc.

The Steve Wilson also require a TV or monitor screen for navigation. They work really well in my Cambridge Audio CXU. I haven't been that impressed with the sound of Oppos I've heard which is why I went with the CXU--it uses Wolfson DACs which my previous PS Audio DAC used and I really like their sonic potential.

Right now I'm listening to this Blu-Spec CD2. Wow! Sounds amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll have to read up on what exactly constitutes 'pure audio' vs 'non-pure-audio?'. I was reading in the booklets of at least one of the Steve Wilson Yes sets that it doesn't require a TV connection, although I couldn't imagine navigating the disc contents without a TV screen cause there are a ton of options on those Yes discs. This would be especially difficult/impossible on my BR player because it has ZERO visual indicators on it; it doesn't even have a light to indicate if the power is on, I guess they figure "power indicator? nah, that's what the tv is for".

13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

More Mobley. No banners, we'll just have to guess who pressed this one.
    Soul Station
    [​IMG]

rxcory, rockinlazys, markp and 5 others like this.
  14. Lonson

I think you can do some basic navigating on the Wilson Blu-ray discs using the red, green, orange and blue buttons on Blu-ray machine remotes. . . but that won't get you all the content. Haven't tried that recently. . .

dzhason likes this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Due to a purchase yesterday my Miles Davis chronological tour had to take a detour in the DeLorean from '56 back to '55 for

Miles (OJC-006, '82 LP), recorded Novermber 16, 1955

[​IMG]

rxcory, David Ellis, miklew and 4 others like this.
  16. Phillip Walch

Thank you for the info Lonson I was not aware of that too.

Lonson likes this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wax Time? lol

Lonson likes this.
  18. Lonson

Right now. . . well I had to have another Miles from this round about time frame. . . . Miles is one of six artists who are like a "binge causing drug" to me. (The other five are Duke, Monk, Mingus, Jimi and Dylan).

The Mobile Fidelity SACD
    [​IMG]

rxcory, rockinlazys, markp and 8 others like this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'm really liking this Music Matters Hank Mobley, I finished up the Miles (I know I just posted that I was listening to it 10 minutes ago or something, but I was already half way through side 2 at the time) and had to put the Mobley back on for another listen. Soul Station is the only other Mobley album I have, on CD, I'm gonna have to put that on later for a listen too, it's been a while.

miklew, Bobby Buckshot and Morbius like this.
  20. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I have all four of those and they excellent. I won't go for the Mofi ESP but if I was choosing between the two I'd have to compare them. I have a lot of The Miles Mofi and AP and as well and they are all superb. But then I don't care what they look like. It's all down to how they sound, followed by price.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Did you ever get to see in concert any of your six binge artists?

22. Lonson

Just two, the first and the last.

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

This was my 2nd Miles Davis album, the first was of course Kind of Blue, that I got back in college, around '98 probably. For that reason, and because it's fantastic, this album is very special to me. The main attraction, "Concerto de Aranjuez", is of course fantastic, but I really go for "Will o the Wisp" and "Solea". On Solea, when the percussion kicks in a few minutes in and the backing section kicks in on the motif that Miles blows over, man... good stuff.

I can relate on the binging front too, I'm on a big Miles binge currently with my decision to listen to all of his albums chronologically. Actually, pretty much all of the artists you listed I've been prone to binge on too... it's been a while but I went on a Monk bender once that I believe lasted from '06-'09. I'm not as familiar with Dylan and Ellington though, but for sure Mingus and Jimi. I keep hoping ORG will release some time soon the reissue of "Tijuana Moods" that I noticed listed on acousticsounds back in December.

Lonson likes this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I have the Hank Mobley (sextet) like you do and would like to pick up Workout. Feel a sense of urgency about it now.

dzhason likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You saw Duke live, nice! Hey, did you ever get into his album Afro-Eurasian Eclipse? It's a little different than what one may typically think of when thinking of Ellington, or at least what I thought of, but I'd been wanting it for years and finally bought a copy off Discogs a few months ago.