Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Likewise.

I really like Jeff Buckley too, but my wife and her musician girlfriends are alll bananas for him, understandably so...

Phillip Walch likes this.
  2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I have that very same scenario here. I think my other half would ditch me if he were still here. He was a huge loss musically. Both he and his father were too young.

3. I wouldn't buy anything crackly for $40! Why would you pay for 60 year old dirt?

David Ellis likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

About to clean up the kitchen after last night's wild Russian hoedown at the house. Which means that I usually put on one of my few mono lps so that I can point a single speaker towards the kitchen to hear it better without missing out on the other half of the mix.

The Beatles (the recent mono reissue, lp2)

[​IMG]

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes that is what the angel on my shoulder tells me, but that question was asked by the devil on the other.

6. Well, the devil has all the best tunes, but if they crackle, I'm not interested. :cool:

dzhason likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I personally wouldn't, but I grew up on cassette/CD and anything more than very mild surface noise drives me nuts.

8. I've got the Getz/Gilberto and Miles Davis Ascenseur pour lechafaud, and they sound very fine indeed.

9. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

To me its one of the differences between Columbia and Blue Note...

a noisy blue note still sounds great, for some reason i don't notice it as much, the music seems to overpower it...

miklew likes this.
  10. But according to Mavis Staples, "the devil doesn't have any music", and she should know.

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

sometimes you can clean up the noise and you end up with a great copy for a lot less money...

12. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I'm a longtime fan of Cocteau Twins and of course Robin Guthrie's solo material. I saw them live a few times from '85-'94. Probably among the best, if not THE best, sounding live shows I have ever attended. With just a couple exceptions, I have all of their first pressings (LP, EP, etc.) on vinyl. I also have them on cd in various editions too. The remasterings from the early 2000's were flat out terrible. I always recommend the original vinyl or cd.

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C (Blue Note) cd

I had considered getting a Music Matters reissue of this but never got around to pulling the trigger.

rxcory, ronfint, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've actually had really good luck with original Blue Note, either Plastylite era or post Plastylite. As long as they're in good condition and not previously played on poor/heavy tracking setups, they play pretty darn quiet.

Columbia 6-eye and recycled vinyl Prestige yellow fireworks were my bane when collecting.

rxcory and BKphoto like this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! I found a Cocteau Twins thread the other day where the same thing was said regarding the vinyl pressings, maybe it was you who said that on the thread, I don't recall.

I was probably only just getting into them around 94-95. I was probably a sophomore in high school and some guys I played in a band with new these other guys that were probably 5-6 years older. I was still just into classic rock then, but those older guys were listening to a lot of indie shoegaze and electronic type stuff, like Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, Swervedriver, My Bloody Valentine, Aphex Twin, FSOL, and I got into it through them. I only have their stuff on the CDs I got way back then, everything from Heaven or Las Vegas onward plus Victorialand and the Lullabies EP. Kudos on getting to see them live, I'm sure it must've been an experience.

I believe I saw 4 calendar and Milk n Kisses on the RSD list, but I'll probably just stick with my CDs. I'm hoping I'll be able to snag the Monk.

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

As I mentioned the other day, I tried that with the KoB on a Klaudio ultrasonic cleaner. I had my fingers crossed hoping it would work some magic, but no such luck. :shake:

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

How does one pick a favorite Mosaic box? Not easy, but this one is at the very top. Could easily listen to it every day, all day.

[​IMG]

18. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

I dig those Highnote cds as well Six string. John Hicks besides being a fantastic pianist was a wonderful person. I had the pleasure to see,be and dine with him many times.
    I once hosted him at a Jazz festival here in southern Italy. John missed his connecting flight from Zurich and had to take a later flight. He was the headliner with a local trio, we had a full outdoor amphitheater waiting for him. He finally arrived about an hour late for the show, without changing his clothes or taking a shower after the flights fron NYC. He arrived with our driver and the first face he saw was mine when I opened the van door. In the meantime I making announcements every 15 min. because the natives are getting especially restless." Oh, Jeff thank God.It's been a rough day". What can I get you John to help you, I replied. " Some water and some red wine"- he responded. Like Jesus, that I can do John. Remember the local musicians had been playing about 45 min. in his abscence. After a quick shirt change ( his bags were still with him), a drink each of water and wine,I announced him and he hit the ivories. No warm up,no soundcheck John played a mesmerizing,riveting and breathtaking 20 min solo before the locals jumped on board. That was the grandeur of John Hicks ! True story

19. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

yep, you put it on, cross your fingers, and...

ugh...

20. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

This afternoon/evening playlist;
    Ralph Towner- My foolish Heart
    Art Pepper- Meets the rhythm Section (JVC K2)- sounding good right now !
    Stanlet Turrentine- That's where it's At (RVG, am waiting for the XRCD of this- swinging Les McCann)
    Kenny Dorham- Whistle Stop (1994 remaster by Larry Walsh, sounds good)
    John Abercrombie- Up and Coming (beautiful new recording on ECM)

21. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

Wow. Next to you guys I' m am amateur. I probably bought less than 50 jazz cds last year. It's tough to find lots a stuff I think I need with 5K cds already.

22. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Hobo Joe rocks!

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  23. jeffsjazz

jeffsjazz Forum Resident

One of my favorite Red's !!

24. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Listening to Art Pepper + Eleven on this rainy spring afternoon. Also working on my Jazz Liner Note project. I'd be curious what y'all think if you have time to hop over and take a look.

[​IMG]

rxcory, peter1, ronfint and 5 others like this.
  25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member