Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Andrew Hillunreleased 10/1967 septet session [(D) on Mosaic Select 16 box] (Blue Note / Mosaic )
    — Woody Shaw (t), Sam Rivers (ss, ts), Robin Kenyatta (as), Howard Johnson (bar, tu), Andrew Hill (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Teddy Robinson (d)

[​IMG]

rxcory, Soulpope, markp and 7 others like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Gonzalo Rubalcaba & Charlie Haden - Tokyo Adagio (Impulse)

NP Pharoah Sanders - Welcome To Love (Timeless)

Pharoah does a ballads album playing many choices Trane played and it's very good imo.

rxcory, rockinlazys and SteelyTom like this.
  3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Hopefully Lenny White with Mr. Beautiful George Cables can help. I am going to go revisit this album right now as I could use a little something myself.

SteelyTom likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Paul Bley - Solo Piano (SteepleChase) black on red label.

I think of Bley's style as more analytical than warm or bluesy. Not that it's all angular or anything but I find his playing demands I pay attention for the most part.

Soulpope, rockinlazys and David Ellis like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was ne f those people who took advantage of Joe Henderson's Milestone Box sale price many years ago. At the time I only had one of his Milestone titles (Elements w/Alice Coltrane). The two albums I liked immediately were the live ones, Live In Japan and this Lighthouse gig. Great slices of Joe, not that the other titles aren't worthy of course but those two jumped out right away.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Disc 2, cd version
    [​IMG]
    Great playing. Really good sound. I guess I will never have enough Bill Evans, I'm already looking forward to the release coming up in May by the same trio.

Santo10, rxcory, jeffsjazz and 8 others like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The Paul Bley Group (SoulNote)
    With John Scofield, Steve Swallow and Barry Altschul. An interesting group of musicians and Scofield really brings it on the opening track by Ornette Coleman, When Will The Blues Leave?

WorldB3, alankin1, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was working while listening so it wasn't a super attentive listen and I'm hesitant to make any definitive statement about how I felt about it. I don't really remember much, except that it seemed to feature the guitarist, Ryo Kawasaki (I'm not sure if I got the first name right), prominently and he was really going to town; and it seemed like side 2 was where all the drum solos, one would expect on an Elvin Jones led outing, resided. I'd just taken the record for an ultrasonic cleaning so I was giving it a listen cause it was already off the shelf, I remember being impressed by the sound of the recording and was impressed by how quiet the record was for something I probably paid $3 for 15 years ago and having probably a 30 year history of owners prior. Definitely felt like it warranted a closer listen soon, though.

Six String likes this.
  9. Lonson

The Japanese RVG edition. This is such a good recording by Van Gelder. And everyone is ON.

[​IMG]

rxcory, alankin1, SteelyTom and 7 others like this.
  10. Lonson

Beautiful music.

[​IMG]

Kelan Phil Cohran and Legacy: African Skies

Bass Clarinet, Flute, Guitar, Vocals – Aquilla Sadalla
    Congas, Flute, Harp, Guitar, Kalimba , Ukulele , Trumpet – Kelan Phil Cohran
    Piccolo String Bass, Double Bass, Flute – Oscar Brown III
    Double Bass, Guitar, Flute – Malik Cohran
    Harp, Flute, Trombone – Josefe Marie Verna

Phillip Walch and miklew like this.
  11. Lonson

[​IMG]

Love this album. It's a reissue of the Swingsville "Swinging with Pee Wee" and this one is stereo, real stereo. Sounds great!

Pee Wee Russell, clarinet, with

Bass – Wendell Marshall
    Drums – Osie Johnson
    Piano – Tommy Flanagan
    Trumpet – Buck Clayton

Six String likes this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Walt Dickerson - A Sense Of Direction (New Jazz) Ltd. Ed OJC cd

Recorded in 1961.

13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Horace Silver: The Jody Grind. Blue Note Div of Liberty..

[​IMG]

rxcory, JazzFanatic, Erik B. and 5 others like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Mingus Dynasty 6-eye mono promo that plays incredibly quiet. Another mono mix I would love to have on digital.

[​IMG]

15. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

C.I. Williams- When Alto Was King (Mapleshade 1997)

C.I.- alto/ Larry Willis- piano/ Ed Cherry- guitar/ Keter Betts- bass/ Jimmy Cobb-drums
    * Donald Blackman- piano on Jeep's Blues

Six String likes this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Being recorded roughly around the same time as Miles' 1st Great Quintet albums, Red Garland's Piano fills in the gap nicely between the album from my previous Miles Sess, 'Round About Midnight, and the next album to feature the 1st Quintet + Cannonball, Milestones. There are a couple of non-quintet Miles albums in this gap as well, but, before continuing on with my Miles discography tour, I decided to take the scenic route and explore the few items in my collection that showcase what the other quintet members were up to as leaders during this time.

Now playing: Red Garland's Piano, Prestige 7086, recorded December 14, 1956 & March 22, 1957 (RVG CD)

[​IMG]

I'll be following this one up with:

John Coltrane - Coltrane, Prestige 7105, recorded May 31, 1957 (20-bit K2 remaster CD)

[​IMG]

Santo10, rxcory, peter1 and 10 others like this.
  17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Two upcoming ECM releases, for those of you interested in the music or the graphic design...

(Good to see Frisell back as a leader on ECM :). It's a live album from the Village Vanguard!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    charlesp, dzhason and Six String like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Stanley Turrentine - Jubilee Shout (Blue Note) from the Mosaic box
    Felt like a little church tonight. My version at least.

jeffsjazz, BKphoto and vanhooserd like this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Some day I'd like to get an original or at least a well made reissue of the Garland album. I have the OJC cd so I know tge album well. Any Garland is good in my book and when you bring Coltrane into the mix it brings on a nirvana. I have tbe AP reissue of the Trane album and it is wonderful. I can't be more specific at tge moment. I'm tired from some hard work days.

David Ellis likes this.
  20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I like the artwork for this album you posted, it made me think of Frisell's Richter 858 which features the artwork of Gerhard Richter (I had to look up the artists name :)), below:
    [​IMG]

... I was having a Bill Frisell day a few weeks ago, which I need to do more often, but I need to get some more of his recordings so the day could go on longer without repeats.

The Garland is nice, it would be cool to have a good vinyl reissue of this one, I've never researched to see if there's one out there or not. With the prominence of trumpet/sax led groups, at least in my own personal listening habits, the piano trio format is a nice way to get a breather from all those wild cats blowin' their horns to bits. I've had my eye on that AP Coltrane too. I have quite a few of AP's SACDs, but only four of their vinyl reissues (Surf's Up, Pet Sounds - Beach Boys; Arnett Cobb's Party Time & Phil Woods' The Youngbloods) which are all great.

SteelyTom likes this.
  21. Elveeen! First drummer on the Moon. ;)

rxcory likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

His life-long mission: to explore strange new rhythms, to seek out new beats and new rhythmic permutations, and to boldly go where no drummer has gone before.

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Been getting lots of mileage out of Kaki King's Dreaming of Revenge of late, just played it again.

[​IMG]
    Fortunately, work is done and it's now time to do some dreaming of my own.

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Don Friedman - Waltz For Debbie (Eighty Eight's)

Great piano trio album.

Planbee, charlesp and SteelyTom like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hi kind folks, quick question, if you were going to audition some speakers, what jazz recording or two you would take? Less obscure the better as I probably wouldn't have it, cd or vinyl is acceptable.

So far I've picked out
    • a non-jazz acoustic ensemble featuring female voice with a wide range, on cd,
    • Instrumental electronic music, featuring deep sub bass all the way to shimmering highs, on vinyl
    • John Coltrane's Crescent, ORG vinyl

Yes, I probably should start a thread I suppose, but I've come to value the thoughts of the individuals that post in this thread regularly so I didn't do that.