Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I don't know how it is that I don't have this yet, especially considering that 3/4 of Thrust is performed here, an album I probably played daily back around '01-'02, and would definitely choose as my favorite Herbie electric album, maybe even Herbie album period.

SteelyTom and rxcory like this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now that I'm looking at it on my laptop and not my tiny phone screen, I can definitely see those details.

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I still have one of those but haven't used it in years. If I told you my current coffee habits I would be kicked off this thread. :)

JeffMo and David Ellis like this.
  4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I'm a huge Contemporary fan & a huge OJC fan. Here's another Previn Trio album, recorded at Contemporary on 2/20 & 3/1, 1960. This time all the selections were written by Previn. Again with Red Mitchell & "Frankie" Capp. Producer: Lester Koenig. Sound by Roy DuNann & Howard Holzer. 1994 remastering by Phil De Lancie.

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Oh, no, really? I just laid bare the ugly truth of mine own. :cool:

Now playing, fresh from an ultrasonic cleaning earlier today:

Duke Pearson - Wahoo! (Music Matters 33.3)

[​IMG]

6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I do the same. And I promise I look nothing like Billie Holiday, Sly Stone, Ray Charles, Miles Davis or any other number of the musical gods whose pictures I regularly reappropriate for my avatar.

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

:laugh: That's ok, neither am I a single cycle sine wave, though I may be a single-celled organism.

rxcory likes this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Miles Sess 9

Got the feeling that it was time for the next item in my chronological Miles listening endeavor, after looking up the chronology I see that the next item up also happens to have graced Lonson's system earlier today:

Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come (1999 Columbia/Legacy CD), recorded March 7, 20, & 21 1961

[​IMG]

Also of note, I've noticed that Analogue Productions will be releasing (or perhaps already has recently released) a 33.3 pressing of this and Seven Steps to Heaven. My wantlist has just grown by two, although I kind of wish that it was MoFi putting them out just so they'd match,as was fairly recently discussed here, all the other Miles releases on my vinyl shelf.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    btf1980, Crispy Rob, alankin1 and 5 others like this.
  9. rxcory

[​IMG]

Lou Donaldson - Say It Loud! (1969)

Recorded November 6, '68 at Rudy's

2014 Blue Note/Universal Japan TYCJ-81062 "Blue Note The Masterworks" 2nd series SHM-CD

An unapologetic soul-jazz date, opening with a cover of James Brown's hit from '67, this date chugs along with groovy covers of "Summertime" and "Caravan" only to end with two killer Donaldson numbers. "Snake Bone" just might be my favorite this time around.

Lou Donaldson - varitone-amped alto sax & vocals
    Blue Mitchel - trumpet
    Charles Earland - Hammond C-3
    Jimmy Ponder - electric guitar
    Leo Morris - drums

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just for kicks, here's the Liberty 8-track tape.

btf1980, Jacline, Six String and 5 others like this.
  10. I don't look like Pelé but I looked a fair bit like Jairzinho as a kid. Jairzinho, for those of you who don't know, was the winger in the legendary Brazilian World Cup football* squad of 1970. Probably the player of the tournament and the best winger I've ever seen. A real childhood hero. He's the player holding up Pelé in my avatar.
    'Fast, skillful, injured' is how my friends described my playing ability. :D Football meant a lot to me growing up.

Jairzinho doesn't look like that now, and neither do I, time and calories having taken their toll. :(

[​IMG]

(* the world calls it football, N.Americans call it 'soccer'. Your 'football' (gridiron) developed from rugby football, which had previously morphed out of the football played at Rugby school. )

11. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I've got I, III, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti to fill out my collection since I missed the boat so many years ago but I think the reissues sound pretty good especially I and Houses of the Holy. Though they don't have that edge that my original II (not Robert Ludwig) and IV have the reissues are smoother and in parts convey more emotion than the somewhat colder originals if comparing different titles is relevant.

dzhason and Erik B. like this.
  12. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Come on, it's the only way to brew a really good espresso and there's not that much cleaning involved. BTW coffee is full of good polyphenols, I believe, so as long as you don't drink too much................ The down side is, apparently, the lighter the roast the better:(

13. David Ellis

Get thee behind me Satan:laugh:. Seriously, whatever works for you.

14. David Ellis

Shall we start on tea or booze next:laugh:

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The man in my avatar IS me. Sometimes I wish it weren't!

Jacline, dzhason, SteelyTom and 2 others like this.
  16. David Ellis

I never know what to have as an avatar. Mine is my granddaughter. As I have a grandson as well now I suppose I really should change it. Maybe something totally off the wall. As I resemble King Kong it definitely won't be a picture of me:laugh:

rxcory likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It would not surprise me in the least if most of us can claim at least 2-3 of the following:

1. Audiophile
    2. Foodie
    3. Wine enthusiast (or craft Beer)
    4. coffee connoisseur

We are a refined lot on this thread! :)

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The current mug shot is real. You can plainly see my reaction to the "I prefer instant coffee" comment....

NP: Bjork, but I'm going to put In A Silent Way on next after seeing that up thread.

dzhason, rxcory and Lonson like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'll sort of claim two or three of these. Was sort of a foodie til I moved back to Ohio. The restaurants and superb grocery store that made and maintained me as a foodie are no longer accessible. I'm not a drinker of alcohol, certainly not an enthusiast. (Decades of motorcycling caused me to put alcohol aside). And I have found my coffee bliss in organic Mexican coffee and stick to that, not sure that makes me a coffee connoisseur! An organic Mexican coffee snob, yes. ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    David Ellis likes this.
  20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

That's my right hand in my avatar, but in the interest of full disclosure, here's the entire pic.

[​IMG]

btf1980, jay.dee, lschwart and 8 others like this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP, a kick in the pants at 8 or so a.m.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Lonson like this.
  22. That dog is cracking me up. :righton:

SteelyTom and David Ellis like this.
  23. rxcory

That picture is perfect in so many ways. Two of my favorite things about it are the realism (messy table) and the film noir-style lighting.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

1. It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing
    2. Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries
    3. Drinking Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee
    4. One More Cup of Coffee (for the Road)

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Flash was in the foreground of the table about two feet away, and I remember feeling blinded the moment the photo was taken.

rxcory likes this.