Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I was lucky enough to catch this brilliant quartet at the local hall, 5 minutes walk, last night. Two hours of bliss. Can't understand why there were only 40people there (capacity 60). They played a varied set including a couple of Ellington numbers but mostly Jon Shenoy's own compositions.
    Jon Shenoy - sax
    Will Bartlett - organ
    Sam Dunn - guitar
    Chris Draper - drums
    Had a really interesting conversation with the guys about influences.
    They're on a UK wide tour so I urge anyone who can to catch a gig.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I saw Cruyff play late in his career when he played for the Washington Diplomats. I remover being amazed by what he and another Dutch player could do.

Since soccer/football got no press coverage then, I had no idea who he was. The only player I knew was Pele. This even though I played as a kid on a club team. To give you an idea how barren soccer was in the 70s, I played on a club team because there were no leagues. The last year I played before aging out was 74. That year there was only 100,000 youth players in the entire US. Most of the other kids in our team were kids of immigrants.

3. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

4. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

From allmusic. I have seen this one a few times on my travels.

This compilation should be titled Blue Latin because it's more of a sampler of various Latin jazz styles than just a bossa nova-jazz mix. In an age of overzealous marketing and grab-bag reissues, though, the oversight is understandable. Thankfully, the misguided approach doesn't dim the quality of this very enjoyable Blue Note release. The six actual bossa nova tracks in the collection -- out of 14 -- range from effervescent, hard bop treatments by Hank Mobley ("Recado Bossa Nova") and Cannonball Adderly ("Sambop") to languid ballad renditions by Ike Quebec ("Loie") and Eliane Elias ("Waters of March/Agua de Beber"). The most authentic and best of the bunch is Duke Pearson's "Sandalia Dela," which spotlights Brazilian stars Airto Moreira and Flora Purim. Another standout is John Patton's B-3 organ bossa "Latona," which features inspired solos by guitarist Grant Green and vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson. Throughout this collection, in fact, excellent solos and support abound by the likes of Lee Morgan, Joe Henderson, Willie Bobo, Dom Um Romao, Nana Vasconcelos, Horace Silver, and J.J. Johnson, among others. The remaining numbers on Blue Bossa showcase everything from mambos to calypso. The highlights here include Horace Parlan's piano trio number "Congalegre," Kenny Dorham's superbly arranged, large ensemble original "Afrodesia," and Donald Byrd's cool cooker "Ghana." If you fancy more authentic Brazilian jazz, bossa nova, or otherwise, then check out Blue Note's excellent Blue Brazil series, which features Brazilian musicians exclusively. If you are a jazz fan with a yen for Stan Getz and the whole stateside bossa nova craze of the '60s, then Blue Bossa is a great buy.

Six String likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Don Friedman Trio - My Favorite Things (Eight Eight's) Japanese BSCD2
    Cup of 1990 Pu-ehr in hand.

jeffsjazz likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I don't think that how much one spends on their equipment/gear/beer/etc necessarily is what qualifies one as an audiophile/whatever, I would say it's more just a level of interest. Perhaps marketers and salespersons use the term as a sort of buzzword to try to sale stuff, and others maybe to try to imply, intentionally or not, some form of elitism; but I don't believe that is what defines being an audiophile. Surely there are wealthy individuals who have super expensive setups just because they can, and perhaps feel like they must, but really aren't all that interested by the sound or the music.

rxcory and NorthNY Mark like this.
  7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

NP:
    Gary ThomasWhile The Gate Is Open (JMT / Polydor Tokyo)
    — Gary Thomas - tenor saxophone, flute; Kevin Eubanks - electric guitar (tracks 1, 5, 6 & 8); Renee Rosnes - synthesizer, piano (tracks 2, 3 & 8); Anthony Cox (tracks 4, 5, 7 & 8), Dave Holland (tracks 1-3 & 6) - bass; Dennis Chambers - drums (tracks 1-5, 7 & 8); standards

[​IMG]

I noticed that Thomas hasn't recorded as a leader for a while. I guess he's been busy as an educator -- he's currently "Director and Chair of Jazz Studies" at the Peabody Institute.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Bravo - and this is something that the majority of Asia seems to understand. I might be hitting up Nor Cal and wine country later this year for the first time in my life so may ask for any recs you have.

NP: Duke Pearson's The Phantom via Duke's Mosaic Select

Inspired by Jacline's post earlier. This thing seriously cooks and grooves. Don't let the All Music review shy you away from this release.

rxcory likes this.
  9. I guess it's how you grow up. I was from the last generation of children who didn't grow up with computer games or 24 hour t.v. or the internet or crappy fast food. If you wanted amusement you had to make an effort to go look for it, your parents weren't neurotic about you getting dirty or falling off your bike. I wouldn't stay in on a sunny day if you paid me.
    Having any kind of ball and someone to play with was nirvana for me. I found out quickly I was good at sports and could run like the wind so I made the most of it. Football was fun, kept me fit and healthy and gave me friends. I pity those pale pathetic little runts who spend their early years with a console and complaining of allergies.

Aura likes this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Is it cruel to say that I would love this session more if it weren't Ray Draper's and just a quartet with Coltrane?

Great rhythm section behind the horns. Listening to this via the Coltrane "Side Steps" box set.

[​IMG]

rxcory and sberger like this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hmm, I don't know, I played sports early on in school, up through 8th grade (I actually played unAmerican-football :), as my first sport, then tried American-football and baseball, both of which I despised, and then basketball which I played the longest). I liked playing the sports at the time, but eventually I lost interest in playing, and since I never was into actually watching it on TV or going to games to watch it, my involvement stopped there.

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Always knew you were heartless :D, just kidding, of course.

Was playing: Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece (Music Matters 33.3)

Now playing: Nat Adderley and the Big Sax Section - That's Right

[​IMG]

I've always liked Nat since first hearing him on some of his brother's recordings, I need to get more, I only have this one and Work Song.

rxcory, on7green and jeffsjazz like this.
  13. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!! :yikes: :faint:

Disgrace how???

Sorry David, but I have to strongly disagree there. I've been a Leeds United fan since 1971 and Revie's Leeds were anything but 'anti-football'. Surely you know the story. Leeds and Liverpool were the two best teams in England by far from 1965 to 1975. People forget their football history. Look at the record books. The media hated Revie because he was a perfectionist who wanted to emulate the best in Europe - Real Madrid. He wasn't interested in workhorses playing route one football with a big man on the end of the long ball. He was resented because he analysed games and kept a dossier on his opponents. In other words he was 'professional', which flew in the face of the British ethos of the enthusiastic amateur. We didn't have any pretty boys like George Best or a Busby to charm the press. We just had damn good players who could attack and defend and play the ball on the ground. Look at the video below. Paul Reaney, our full-back, is going past Southampton defenders like they weren't there. We were humiliating better teams than Southampton on a regular basis.
    We had Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles in midfield, Giles was a better long-ball passer than anyone I've seen in the English game with the exception of Glenn Hoddle at Spurs.
    The Leeds defence was full of internationals, Cooper, Madeley, Jack Charlton, Reaney was the best full-back never to win a full cap.

Look at the evidence David, this and countless other videos . You wouldn't be a Man Utd fan by any chance, would you? That's the only reason I can think of for you coming out with what is, quite frankly, drivel. I think, for the sake of my blood pressure and our non football-loving friends in this thread, we should keep our opinions on football to ourselves. :hugs:

14. On paper this should be a classic. But my digi-pak version fades out every track just after 4 or so minutes. It's an unlistenable travesty and someone should be doing jail time for it.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Weird, I have and OJCCD version that I probably got 10 years ago at Newbury Comics in Boston or Rhode Island for 3.99 or 4.99, and there is no fade out on it. I used to love to go to Newbury Comics back then and shop their jazz section, my jazz cd collection really grew a lot in the 4-5 years or so I lived in the New England area; a lot of the older classic albums could be found for $5 or less (new releases were still normal prices usually, though), I think I got a 5-6 cd box set of Sonny Rollins Riverside recordings call The Freelance Years, or something like that, for $10. So, that's when I really started to get things out side of the really big name artists.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

yeah, not much of a "greatest hits" guy...

I like compilations of unreleased stuff...not tunes from other records...

17. 'un-American football' :D I can see McCarthy and Roy Cohn asking for the death penalty... 'Do you now or have you ever kicked a spherical ball? :cool:

dzhason and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  18. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Sorry FSI, just my opinion. Let's stick to things other than football eh? And no I don't support Man U or any of those big money teams.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  19. Lonson

[​IMG]

Antonio Carlos Jobim, Stone Flower, this time the Japanese SHM-CD remastered by Rudy Van Gelder. Subtly different, a bit more forward, stronger bass. A neat way to hear this recording that I know so well.

20. Lonson

Haven't spun this one in a while, this is a quiet storm of a great jazz vocals album.

[​IMG]

21. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

I cull books a lot faster than I do music. A CD that didn't appeal to me on first listen will be on the shelf for years. With books, I try not to hang on to fiction (other than "classics," that I'll likely reread), and I have a lot of books packed away and not readily accessible (though there are tons a mere arm's length away). All my CDs are shelved and handy; vinyl is about half and half, though I don't have a set up to play records right now. Honestly, I haven't for years, but the vinyl sits there, much to my wife's chagrin.

22. Lonson

I'm listening to the new three SACD reissue of Santana's "Lotus" from Sony Japan.

To call this a "deluxe reissue" is to damn it with faint praise. Incredible printing, an oversized and magnificent package. So far the sound is excellent. I haven't done any comparison but I can say with certainty that it is better sounding than the US two cd set. I think at the moment I prefer it to the recent Audio Fidelity 2 SACD reissue but I haven't done any direct comparisons. Sure sounds wonderful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    jay.dee, rxcory and Six String like this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Are you usually ordering your Japanese items off the cdjapan site you mentioned to me a while back or do you try to track them down on ebay or somewhere else? I'm still sitting on the Pangaea and Agharta Blue Spec CD2 purchases that I was thinking about making from cdjapan. I did see I could get those off of Amazon, but the prices were $7 more for one of them and I think $20+ dollars more for the other, then by the time you add in shipping (I don't recall them being available for the free shipping option on amazon) it would be well over the price from cdjapan.

24. Lonson

Yes Jason, I highly recommend cdjapan.co.jp as their pricing is very very good and their packaging is even better and they are easy to do business with.

Once you start buying from them. . . and keep on. . . you accrue "points" which seem to mean that if I manage them right my third shipment or so is "free" or I can get expedited shipping very reduced. In the last six years or so I have never had a shipment lost, and even on occasion a few free things like "postcards" and even some sleeve protectors have been tossed in free. They have really enabled my addiction the bastards! :)

I have to say the jazz releases I've been most excited about this decade are coming from Japan and cdjapan is how I've gotten them.

jay.dee, rxcory and dzhason like this.
  25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Every audiophile has a budget, although for some it can seem unlimited. From hanging around this board and others, my impression is that audiophiles are after the best sound they can afford and are willing to spend up to what they can afford even if the expense is only for a very small improvement. They also want equipment that reveals as much as possible so they can hear as much detail as possible, again, within their budget.

For some, it's more about the gear than the music. I knew one person who had a fairly expensive system, but only had a few dozen albums.

I've seen many posts here by people who won't listen to music that's been heavily compressed (low DR), has heavy NR, or is lossy, even if that's all that's available for that music. They'd rather do without that listen to inferior music. From my experience, revealing equipment can make at least some of that hard to listen to. It's the one reason I don't consider myself an audiophile. I don't want revealing equipment because I want to be able to listen to poorly recorded or poorly mastered music if that's all that's reasonably available.

Equipment doesn't really matter that much to me. I can tell you my Blu-ray/SACD player is an Oppo that cost around $500, but I can never remember what the model number is. That's also the most expensive piece of equipment, other than a computer, that I've bought. Most of my gear is 70s and 80s vintage and allows me to listen to the music compressed/clipped or NRed music. If a better version is available, I will buy it unless it's much more expensive. Everything I buy gets ripped to my computer, if it's not already a download, and converted to 128kbps AAC. I listen almost exclusively to AAC because I can't hear a difference between it and lossless, let alone high res. They only time I listen to physical media is to listen to surround. Eventually, I'll set my turntable up again to do needle drops of the 500 or so LPs I still own.

dzhason and Six String like this.