Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Some late night listening before bed..

[​IMG]
    Stan Getz-Anniversary (1989) EmArcy original vinyl pressing

vanhooserd, miklew and dzhason like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Wish this copy weren't quite as worn as it is as there's so much space and "air" to breathe on these recordings. Wonderful stuff.

rxcory, jay.dee, Six String and 2 others like this.
  3. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

A couple of Capitol reissues from 1997 I bought from Tower Records when new vinyl was scarce. Its interesting that Capitol reissued them on vinyl at time when digital reigned supreme. I think this might have been around the time they reissued most of the Beatles catalog along with their Anthology LPs, some of which I happen to have. It seems they went to some trouble with the Blue Notes. According to Discogs the records weight in at well over 200gs and on quiet vinyl which by the pressing matrix inscribed in the dead wax may have been early RTI. Don't quote me on that though. The sound on the other hand and not knowing what they were mastered from is heavy on compression and has an effect on my impression of the tonal character of the instruments notably piano and the horns as compared to what I'm used to hearing from Music Matters. I can't even begin to guess if digital was involved since it was common by this time to do vinyl releases from digital masters and I wouldn't know what sound signature to look for. Just the same they were a gratifying listen especially considering it was Horace Silver and Dexter Gordon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory, BKphoto, Six String and 5 others like this.
  4. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

A change of perspective; Wayne Shorter - Ju Ju, Music Matters 45.

[​IMG]

rxcory, BKphoto, Six String and 6 others like this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sweet! I always loved the track Deluge on this one. My first experience ever hearing that track was not from Shorter, though, but some friends of mine back in college had a jazz quartet (alto, guitar, bass, & drums) and they played Deluge really nicely. I ripped one of their CDs of Juju I believe, which has been my only copy of it, until now as I just ordered the MM 45 and it should be arriving tomorrow, along with some other goodies.

Crispy Rob and DTK like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Finally getting around to playing this one on my system at home, it sounds a lot better than in the car:

Chick Corea - Return to Forever

[​IMG]

@Lonson I've always loved Flora Purim's vocals on this track. I saw that you were listening to some of her solo albums yesterday, so thought I'd mention it. Probably if I dug through my collection I could find an album or two that features her but I haven't picked up any of her efforts as leader, I've always meant to get Butterfly Dreams but have yet to do so.

rxcory and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I'm rather partial to Mahjong but you'll like this album, a stepping stone in Shorter's evolution at Blue Note.

dzhason likes this.
  8. Lonson

Jason, if you like her here let me recommend: Encounter, Tales to Tell, and 500 Miles High--these three are the closest to the RTF in nature (and fantastic albums!)

I'm listening to Earl Hines, Budd Johnson, Ahmed Abdul-Malik and Oliver Jackson in 1964, "The Legendary Little Theater Concert of 1964, Vol. 2" . . . man LPs are sounding good today. If I had this sort of sound up to the 'eighties I would never have abandoned LPs for a while. My whole system sounds so much better this decade. . . and I'm loving LPs again.

jay.dee, Crispy Rob, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's interesting to have Shorter posing as Coltrane in a quartet setting like that, with Elvin and Tyner. I see each of these Shorter albums as fully realized mini-masterpieces rather than a step along an evolution. By the mid-'60s he was already a master at composition and I am rather fond of his statement about that: "Composing is improvisation slowed down."

eeglug, Muggles, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Haha, thanks Lonson! I'll definitely check those out, I've enjoyed your other recommendations, particularly the Ellington ones, although I haven't managed to track them all down yet.

I'm doing a little organizing on my record shelf and I noticed that I have an old RTF Light as a Feather LP on my shelf that I've never listened to and which features Flora. I think I got it back in '04 in a big batch of records in that I got from a friend who is about 10-15 years my senior and who was giving away his record collection prior to moving after getting remarried. I got a lot of good prog and fusion-y type stuff, old pressings, some probably originals, from the 70s. A lot of it I never got around to listening to because my wife and I went through a big move ourselves shortly thereafter, and I've just been lugging it around because I never like to sell any of my lps/cds any more because I always regretted it later the few times when I did. I'll probably take Light as a Feather for a good cleaning though before I pop it on for a spin, it had probably been sitting in a box under his bed for a good 20 years when I got it and I've had it in a milk crate for the last 13 years since I got it.

Now Playing: Andrew Hill - Judgement! (MM45)

[​IMG]

rxcory, BKphoto, Six String and 7 others like this.
  11. Lonson

How does the dirt get in there when it stands so long unused, enclosed? ;)

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Did you ever go to a great used record store and pull out some great finds, then later when you get home (far away) realize you left them at the store?

I left $5 copies of these. Ouch.

Many years ago, I used to find copies of such records for Lester Young Jr., a very distinguished educator in New York, who loved to collect original pressings of his Dad. Now, I like to get them myself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Lonson

"Pee Wee Russell and the Rhythm Cats" The Complete 1938 Rhythm Cats Transcriptions, Shoestring Records. "Good old good ones" played by a great band (Ernie Caceras!)

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is one early PRESsing that I would love to find.

There is a certain mystery to holding these early editions, no matter what the condition. And Pres makes it all the more mysterious. David Stone Martin's pen and ink sketches add even more mystery.

[​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  15. Lonson

The third SACD again of the Santana "Lotus" release from Japan. A good disc as it includes "Samba Pa Ti" and "The Creator Has a Master Plan." Sony is touting some sort of new DSD mastering method for this and it does sound really good.

rxcory, jay.dee, Six String and 2 others like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Juju is great; Wayne sounds a lot like Coltrane with that backing, but not in a derivative way.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Very few jazz listeners are familiar with Lester Young Jr. It is now almost 40 years ago that he and I started long discussions about his father.

Just for interest, here is a bio sketch. Lester Sr. may have left us far too early, but he did good.

[​IMG]

Lester W. Young, Jr.

Biography
    In March, 2008 Dr. Young was appointed by the New York State Legislature as Regent At Large, The University of the State of New York, re-elected to a five-year term effective April 1, 2010 and again to a five-year term effective April 1, 2015. Currently, he co-chairs the Regent’s P – 12 Education Committee, and chairs the Workgroup to Improve Outcomes for Boys and Young Men of Color and the Early Childhood Workgroup.

A lifelong educator, Dr. Young has served as a teacher, guidance counselor, supervisor of special education, principal, Associate Commissioner with the New York State Education Department and Superintendent of Community School District 13. He also led the first N.Y.C. Office of Youth Development and School Community Services. A recognized educational leader and innovator, he was responsible for establishing some of the more successful high schools and middle schools in New York City and replicating the nationally recognized Algebra Project and Comer School Development Program.

Continuing his commitment to service, in July of 2014, Dr. Young was appointed to the New York State Juvenile Justice Advisory Group. He also serves on the Boards of the Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, Billie Holiday Theater, Brooklyn Community Foundation, Adelaide L. Sanford Institute, the advisory boards for Eagle Academy High School and New York Office of the Children’s Defense Fund. During his career, Dr. Young has been recognized by many local, national education, and civic education organizations for his professional contributions. Dr. Young is profiled in Men of Courage II, documenting the lives and achievements of 27 African American Men. He is also a contributing writer to Child by Child: The Comer Process for Change in Education, 1999.

Dr. Young is married to Dr. Renee Young and they are the proud parents of one son, Lester III, a financial analyst for a New York City firm.

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Dust monkeys?

Crispy Rob and Lonson like this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bill FrisellUnspeakable (Nonesuch Records)
    — Bill Frisell – guitars; Hal Willner – turntables, samples; Tony Scherr – bass, guitar; Kenny Wollesen – drums; Don Alias – percussion; Steven Bernstein – trumpet; Briggan Krauss – baritone sax; Curtis Fowlkes – trombone; Adam Dorn – synth; The 858 Strings: Jenny Scheinman – violin; Eyvind Kang – viola; Hank Roberts – cello.

[​IMG]

Six String, Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Hmm thanks for the posting images advice. I must have missed one step somehow and that messed it up.
    The talk of Booker made me want to play this - my first Booker record (the newish AP release of it.) My usual hyperboli doesn't do justice to this record . The frenetic opener will blast any worries into oblivion
    Dawson's drums remind me of an insect jabbing and worrying against Bookers angry wailing. A Glorious escape from the world.
    Ahhhh

rxcory, Six String, Soulpope and 8 others like this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Playing one of my two RSD purchases:

Kenny Burrell - Blue Lights Vol. 1 (BST 81596, 1st stereo pressing)

[​IMG]
    They also had Midnight Blue, which I was going to get over this one, but it was very crackly throughout while the Blue Lights is pretty quiet overall, just a little crackle here and there.

rxcory, BKphoto, Six String and 3 others like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Streaming:

Flora Purim - Stories to Tell

[​IMG]

Return to Forever
    had me in the mood to explore some Flora solo, going with one of Lonson's suggestions. Oh, I love me some ARP synthesizer.

I had a feeling she would probably be on one of the Mickey Hart CDs I have, and was right, she's on one with Hart and Airto, will have to give that one a listen tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  25. I checked out their homepage and this and the other Booker could well be finding a place in my home in the future.
    ..when my bank balance has recovered from the hit it took on RSD and this week's purchase of some new spectacles.. Ouch! :yikes:

Stu02 and dzhason like this.