Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I haven't posted for a while as I was on holiday for a week and then busy but had a trip to ray's Jazz last week and gave in and bought this.

[OK, Tinypic's having one of its hissy fits and won't let me load a pic.]

Jimmy Giuffre - Bremen & Stuttgart 1961 (Emanem)

Although I bought the original Hat Art Bremen and Stuttgart CDs when they came out, this has six additional tracks from the Bremen concert. It also has the track that was left off the ECM 1961 compilation of Thesis and Fusion. I couldn't resist...

Now what I need is the reissue of Free Fall which added six tracks to the original album.

rxcory, alankin1, lschwart and 2 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Has anyone picked up the new Monk/Coltrane Riverside box set?

rxcory and fastskillfulinjured like this.
  4. Lonson

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Until now, I haven't heard of it. I'm not usually on top of keeping up with new releases and concerts.

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now Playing:

Freddie Hubbard - The Body & The Soul

[​IMG]

7. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

One of my faves!

dzhason likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Off on a bluegrass trip at the moment with the first Nickel Creek album. Damn if that isn't a fine album and a spirit lifter.

rxcory and eeglug like this.
  9. IMO Patch of Blue is a superb piece of work and a vibes classic that all interested parties should check out.

Of the two I'd say Dickerson was the more uncompromising and adventurous. Bobby sometimes went a little 'soft-focus' on those later BN releases like Linger Lane and the music became less interesting as a result. I think he got his mojo back after he left BN but I'd have to say that for me Wilkerson's output has fewer flat spots. Possibly a minority opinion but I'm cool with that. :cool:

Morbius and Electric like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I can't disagree with your assessment of Bobbys career arc. I alaways buy albums if he is on them because he didn't guest on bad albums in my experience. Walt Dickerson certainly did a lot more exploring and probing of the instrument. So few people I know are even aware pf Divkerson, I'm speaking long time jazz fans. I didn't discover him until circa 2005. His music blew my mind. I became obsessed with him.

NP Art Blakey's Indestructible (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    One of his best? I think so.

11. I got into Dickerson not long after moving to Tokyo and making my monthly raids on the Disk Union jazz shop (in 1999). They stocked everything :righton:.

As a huge vibes fan I had to give Walt a try and was instantly impressed. He has an amazing musical mind, the velocity of his playing at times reminded me of Coltrane in full-on 'sheets of sound' mode. Though he could do sensitive ballads as well. I liken it to how Hutcherson sounded on Out To Lunch, he sounds more percussive, hungrier and at times maybe angrier. I wish Bobby had continued playing more the way he played with Dolphy or with Andrew Hill.

Indestructible? Yep, one of his best. 'Calling Miss Khadija' is a tour de force. :thumbsup:

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I checked this out of the library before realizing that Miles' birthday was coming up. I have most of it on CD, but it's nice to hear the complete L.A. sessions with Victor Feldman. I love his playing & wish he had taken Miles' offer to join the band. But then where would Herbie have fit in? He could have sat in on piano when Victor played vibes, drums or percussion. Or there could have been two bands in alternate universes....

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I wasn't aware either though I have them in one format or another so it would depend on many factors as to whether I would be interested, the usual. Original Riverside lps don't sound that great foe the most part so if an improvement could be made sonically and physically, the latter wouldn't be difficult, I could be interested. I'm not a box guy though tbh. They tend to get put away amd pulled out infrequently. YMMV as usual. That Acoustic Sounds box ( that isn't what we're talking about is it?) from the 1990s was always tempting as I knew the pressings would easily esceed originals. It would come down to tape selection, condition, etc. as to the success of this current project. Again I'm not familiar with it unless it is the box that was produced quite long ago by Acoustic Sounds.

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Walt's music is not easily found around here but as long as you check your usual sources regularly they pop up from time time to time. I'm patient and at my age I have more time than money so I can wait until the condition/price ratio is acceptable to me.

Edit:WP Sonny Clark - Sonny's Crib (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    One of my favorite Sonny Clark albums but I like them all. This one has Coltrane which raises tge temperature up a notch or two. Highly recommended.

15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Good morning Six String, I assume you're a Rahsaan Roland Kirk fan buy your avatar and I have a few picks that would get me started. Third Dimension, Volunteered Slavery and Bright Moments. Any suggestions as to where to start?

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Good morning Morbius. So to be clear, you own those three mentioned above and you're looking for additional titles?

If you are the type that likes to start early in an artist's career hen don't avoid Introducing Roland Kirk on Argo. It hints at Kirk's explosive anythng goes style and won't scare people away who can't quite digest long solos of his. Oops, hit save accidently. I'll be back with a short list.

Introducing Roland Kirk
    We Free Kings
    Domino
    Left & Right
    Reeds & Deeds
    I Talk To The Spirits
    Now Please Don't Cry, Beautiful Edith

Spirits is an all flute program (with band, not solo) that is highly recommended even if you aren't sure jazz flute is for you.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Byrdsmaniac and Morbius like this.
  17. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Anybody here know anything about Ms. Price?

@apple-richard found this and sent it to me. She has a lovely voice and nice sounding backing band.

[​IMG]

kagan likes this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I suppose if you go with quantum theory and multiverses there are universes where every Miles band that could've existed does it exist and there is a Victor Feldman 2nd Quartet universe version of ourselves sitting around right now saying the same thing about Herbie.

EDIT: I became so intrigued by that thought I forgot why I initially started to reply. I was considering getting this set at one point but postponed. Does it contain the same live material that is on Four and More and My Funny Valentine?

vanhooserd and DLant like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

She has some great albums. If I recall, she started her own jazz club and performed there.

DLant likes this.
  20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The Allman Brothers BandBrothers & Sisters – 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition (Mercury / Universal Music)

[​IMG]

CD 1 - original album remastered.

rxcory, Soulpope, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  21. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Miles Davis and Kenny Dorham at the bar

[​IMG]

JimSmiley, rxcory, sberger and 9 others like this.
  22. kagan

kagan Forum Resident

Check out the website of the Jazz Bakery - an L.A. Club/"listening room" that she founded in the early '90's
    The Jazz Bakery

It has a link to an interview with her:Ruth Price Runs Prestigious Jazz Bakery

DLant likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - Dicks Picks Vol. 4 (2/13 & 2/14 1970)

[​IMG]

I'm not anything remotely resembling an expert in live Dead performances but, out of all the different versions I have heard, this one has my favorite version of Dark Star (my favorite tune for live Dead listening).

24. Lonson

Yes.

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yes. There is one additional previously unissued number from the concert: Autumn Leaves.