Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Feelin' the Spirit is a joy, even if they do quote Ain't Necessarily So rather often...

Lonson likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks B3 and Good Stuff. Tough day for me but even tougher for others in my family.

I love Fats Waller, and so does my Dad, I turned him on to Fats a few decades ago. I think I have all of Fats on cd and a lot of Fats on LP. What a musician!

3. Lonson

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When we think of Fats, let's not forget Andy Razaf, who wrote the lyrics to many of Fats' tunes. He was descended from Madagascar royalty and his real name was Andriamanantena Paul Razafinkarefo .....(Paul?).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

I also like Pat Flowers who was groomed to be a Fats like figure, and had worked with Fats.

[​IMG]

And I adore Una Mae Carlisle who Fats got to record for Victor with him and then her own contract. . . .

[​IMG]
    Great pianist and what a voice!

DLant likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Great album and another superb title held back. Too much good stuff!

NP Hank Mobley - A Slice Of The Top (Blue Note) 1990s vinyl reissue.

I am pretty certan this lp used a digital source so it's k but I'm sure there are better examples of this misic out there.
    I bought this after owning his classic 1960s albums, four or five. It required a shifting of gears to appreciate this after albums like Roll Call and Workout! so I think I appreciate this more today than I did in the 90s when I bought this. Age has some positive attributes. :)

rxcory likes this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

So sorry to hear this Lonson. I just sat down on the porch chair and after reading this I have been pondering how bad a year it has been with This terrible disease affecting so many.. We here are at least fortunate that we can wrap ourselves in the comfort of music. It may not be much but it is something.....

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm probably going to end up getting this at some point. When you mentioned it around release date I was not aware of it. After reading about it I am intrigued to say the least. So that's why I say, I'll probably end up getting it.

NP Mingus - Tijuana Moods (RCA) Classic Records reissue, stereo.

This was one of my early discoveries about quality reissues via CR. It's a long boring story but suffice to say I got a $30 record for $10 which was cool. It made a believer out of me. Plus I hadn't seen this album before and it looked interesting, right? Anyway, great music, atmospherics, etc. it all comes together. I had never heard of Classic Records until around that time, circa 1997. There weren't many (audiophile) labels back then.

rxcory, Jacline and Lonson like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Congratulations! I'm sure it will reap many rewards going forward and you'll be happy you spent the money in 2017. I own the original 33.3 edition of the Complete Vinyl Collection on Riverside and I love it. I am sure it sounds great but in the case of a box this size I'm glad mine aren't 45.

Aura likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

What has passed for musicals since the 60s doesn't interest me. The 60s was sort of the last gasp for traditional musicals. Before that there were some excellent musicals & lots of great tunes, even from shows that were just average. I got into show tunes via jazz. After hearing great recordings by people like Miles & Sonny I started to wonder about the lyrics, which led me back to the origins of the tunes & the great pop singers like Sinatra.

David Ellis likes this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yes, Getz played the hell out of that one. I've always thought Hodges had some influence on Stan.

Jacline and David Ellis like this.
  12. Lonson

Yes, cancer really takes a toll. It's sad when young lives are so impacted then cut short. And the whole experience with my niece made me think again of that which I try hard not to think of, the two years my late first wife battled lymphoma and MDS. I was glad I could do so much for her, but I got through it believing she would survive it all, and when she didn't. . . I never felt so low in my life. But like me I feel my niece will bounce back.

Right now
    The Solid reissue from Japan
    [​IMG]

rxcory, Stu02 and Jacline like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Masabumi Kikuchi - Black Orpheus (ECM)

Jacline likes this.
  14. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I'm so sorry for going all new age on you people, but I'm listening to this right now, and I thought I would share.

I'm sure Lonson's niece will carry on like a trooper; sending positive thoughts all around:

[​IMG]

Will Ackerman (founder of Windham Hill records), Returning: Pieces for Guitar 1970-2004 (2004).

Aura and Lonson like this.
  15. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Re: Will Ackerman. I know you hate that kind of schmaltzy guitar crap, Lon. :) I'm sorry for posting it.

OK, now: today is our National Holiday up here in Québec (Fête nationale, or Saint-Jean), and I sent my friend Dennis the Menace these clips yesterday, so why not share them here with you:

Part I

Part II
    Lorraine Desmarais au Festival de Lanaudiere - 2eme partie

Lorraine Desmarais, best jazz pianist ever from the province of Quebec (Oscar's fans will kill me ;)), performing Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, with my favourite young conductor, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, soon to replace James Levine at the Met... --> Come on. How great is that?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Lonson likes this.
  16. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Now playing, another of yesterday's used CD finds. This also sat on the shelves at Blue Note for some years; a funky set that features George Benson.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Paul Desmond - Easy Living (RCA) Japanese stereo shm cd

NP Booker Little (Time) Japanese stereo shm cd

I'm enjoying these cds that arrived this past week. Between the heat and work I have been less interested in playing lps, so having good sounding digital versions of lps is helpful. It's cooler this morning than it's been in pver a week and it's forcassed to only reach 99 F. :pineapple:

rxcory, alankin1 and Lonson like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP John Lewis and Sach Distel - Afternoon in Paris (Atlantic) Japanese stereo shm cd.

I've been playing this a lot this week after receiving it from CDJapan. It was a long time between "I want" to "I have" for a variety of reasons. Even with my anticipation, built up over several years, I was not disappointed in the music or the sq although it sounds a tad bright in my car.

Lonson likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo

[​IMG]

rxcory, Stu02, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  20. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

My wallets a lot lighter after a visit to Diverse Records at the Cranage Audio Show.
    AP
    Bluesey Burrell-Kenny Burrell
    Taylors Wailers-Art Taylor
    Someday My Prince Will Come (33)-Miles Davis (Can't have too many copies of this:sigh:)
    Music Matters (45)
    Headin' South- Horace Parlan
    Look Out-Stanley Turrentine
    Speakers Corner
    Bartok, Piano Concertos 1 & 2, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra, Anda (p), Fricsay (c)

Of course they were absolutely essential and it took all my will power to stop there.

An awful lot of good sounding equipment there plus some not so good sounding. Nice to see a lot of people still getting into music though.

rxcory, WorldB3, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wow, that's a great haul. Just in time for the weekend.

NP Booker Ervin - Heavy!!! (Prestige) OJC cd from 1966.

His version pf You Don't Know What Love Is is superb, just dripping with melancholy. He has another version jist as good imo from his Cookin' album on Savoy from 1960. In fact I'm a little surprised he repeated himself. He must really like the song. Totally different groups too.

David Ellis and Soulpope like this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Mark KnopflerShangri-La (Warner Bros Records)

[​IMG]

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Was Playing: Some Bird, selections from the Savoy and Dial Sessions

Now Playing: Miles Davis - Decoy

[​IMG]

rxcory, Erik B. and DTK like this.
  24. Lonson

Sneaking in a cd:
    [​IMG]

Erik B. likes this.
  25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Somehow thought it was funny while playing a general playlist randomly that Vince Guaraldi's The Christmas Song from A Charlie Brown Christmas came on. Sure, Christmas in July (yes it's still June) in Arizona and it will be near 115 degrees today.