Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Oh, I do that too, but I think it's a good thing.

Blue Note likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Johnny Griffin - The Kerry Dancers (Riverside) AP 45 RPM Pressing

NP Joe Henderson - In'N Out (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing

Oh yeh, we grooving now.....

rxcory, David Ellis and dzhason like this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Any folks have much experience with the Rhino reissues of Coltrane's Giant Steps or Olé? I saw both on the shelf yesterday at the shop and they piqued my interest. At least one of them said mono, Olé I believe, maybe both did but I'd have to check Discogs to confirm, I suppose. I believe they both said remastered from the original analog master tapes but I'm not sure what that means with Rhino.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

No Coltrane but I have bought Mingus on Atlantic reissued by Rhino that was good if that helps.

5. Martin Pearman

Martin Pearman Member

Enjoying a nice quiet morning. Currently listening to my first copy of "Sketches Of Spain"

I do own a 1997 Sony remaster CD copy (CK 65142) which I picked up for 99p. However I noticed this sitting in Wall Of Sound in Leeds and couldn't help myself.

[​IMG]

It's a 1998 Classic Records reissue. I'm guessing it will be the same remastered source from the above mentioned CD. It sounds great but after looking into the record some more I now need to source a MoFi copy to compare.

btf1980, garrincha, Blue Note and 3 others like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have the Heavyweight Champion box set from Rhino, very good pressings and jackets, best I've heard this Coltrane Atlantic material on vinyl (I've never had originals). All stereo. There was a mono set of many of the albums, I have that on cd and have not heard the vinyl; perhaps these are from that set broken up(?)

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'm not sure. The Olé I'm fairly certain said it was mono, after looking around the forum I found a thread about a 2x45 stereo Giant Steps from Rhino, so that may have been the one, but I just saw it in the display at the front of the store and didn't actually pick it up to look at so I don't even know that.

I saw an early pressing of Grateful Dead's Blues for Allah for $5 that I want to go back and get today and I'm trying to think of something else to add on so I can put the purchase on my card. I should probably go with something new to me though, I'm thinking I might get the Rhino reissue of GD's Anthem of the Sun, instead.

8. Lonson

As I mentioned, if it's mono then it is probably from the recent Rhino mono box set broken up. I'm sure that's done. If not and if it is a mono Rhino it likely is a good-sounding release.

9. Lonson

Listening to the "Purple Rain" deluxe edition remaster. Sounds pretty darned good to me.

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The new monos were released in a box set and just released last week or the week before individually. They do not say anything about original tapes if I remember correctly, and were likely sourced from digital files. High-res downloads also are available on HDTracks, I think. People say these sound great but I haven't heard them myself.

The stereo versions have been out several years and were cut from the tapes by Bernie Grundman and pressed at RTI. I recommend them. There were also 45 rpm versions put out by ORG or ORG Music, not sure which, also cut by Bernie. Rhino did the 33s.

dzhason likes this.
  11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

SantanaMoonflower (Columbia/Legacy)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    Greg Walker – vocals; Carlos Santana – guitar, vocals, percussion; Tom Coster – keyboards; Pablo Tellez – bass, vocals (live tracks); David Margen – bass (studio tracks); Graham Lear – drums; Raul Rekow – percussion; José "Chepito" Areas – percussion (live tracks); Pete Escovedo – percussion (studio tracks).

A mixture of live tracks from their Dec. 1976 tour in Europe and 1977 studio tracks. Originally a 2-LP set; the CD issue has 3 bonus singles versions.

markp and rxcory like this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bill Evans Trio Sunday At The Village Vanguard (MoFi) 1S

Ah, such a beautiful album to begin the day.

Martin Pearman and rxcory like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Weren't most Atlantic master tapes lost in a fire or am I forgetting some details?

14. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Just ordered this - can't beat the price for 3 CD/1 DVD. I never gotten around to buying this on CD.

Listened to below (Chicago Underground Duo) on the way to work today. Been a long while since I seen these guys. Always an interesting show.

[​IMG]

Roger Thornhill and dzhason like this.
  15. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Just about to get the tube into town to see Barry Harris at Jazz@pizzaexpress. Should be a real privilege to see and hear one of the living legends of one of the golden eras of jazz.

markp, Lonson and rxcory like this.
  16. Gabe Walters

I don't know. What I know is that the Rhino and ORG Coltrane stereo releases claim to be cut from the tapes (I can't recall if they used the term "original master tapes" or not), were mastered by Bernie Grundman, pressed at RTI, and sound like they're all analog to me. They weren't recorded terribly well to begin with, and I think plenty of people will prefer the original pressings, but that's all good enough for me. I like 'em.

17. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Beautiful post, thanks for sharing.

rxcory likes this.
  18. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I have a few days worth of photo processing ahead of me. Starting the morning with some Bill Evans.

NP:

[​IMG]

Bill Evans Trio - Everybody Digs Bill Evans (1958)

1987 Riverside/Fantasy/OJC OJCCD-068-2 mono CD mastered by Joe Tarantino

piano - Bill Evans
    bass - Sam Jones
    drums - Philly Joe Jones

WP:

[​IMG]

Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz (1959)

1994 Riverside/Fantasy/DCC GZS-1059 stereo gold CD mastered by Steve Hoffman

piano - Bill Evans
    bass - Scott LaFaro
    drums - Paul Motian

Mr Bass, Ras, garrincha and 8 others like this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I've been in sort of a Grateful Dead mood the last couple weeks and have been playing them a little more frequently than normal. I don't have that many albums of theirs (2 live albums: Dick's Picks Vols. 2 & 4; as well as 3 studio: Aoxomoxa, Workingman's Dead, and American Beauty) but I just picked up 2 more today, so:

Now Playing: Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah (Grateful Dead Records, 1975)

[​IMG]

As much as I like the other studio albums I mentioned having above, I think I might actually like this one even better.

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I went to pick up the Grateful Dead album above and looked at the Coltrane Rhino reissues that I mentioned before, they were all mono versions, so they must be the versions that Gabe referred to as having been recently individually released. They didn't have the GD Anthem of the Sun album that I wanted, there was another album with a similar shade of blue that I must've mistaken for it at a glance yesterday. In a rare moment of frugality I decided against getting any of the Coltrane's, esp. since I already have them on CD, and opted to keep with The Dead theme and got a used Rhino HDCD edition of Live/Dead (nice live versions of Dark Star, St. Stephen, The Eleven, & Turn on your Love Light on that one).

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. Lonson

The new SHM-CD from Warner Japan. Man these Warner Japan SHM-CDs sound great.

[​IMG]

22. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come (1961)

1990 Mobile Fidelity MFCD 828

Playing this at a slightly louder than normal volume, just because it sounds sooooo good on this aluminum CD :love:

[​IMG]

Mr Bass, JeffMo, Leeston and 9 others like this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Tommy Gwaltney's Kansas City Nine - Goin' to Kansas City (OJC-1157)

[​IMG]

Henry Please likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Is that a flugelhorn in Miles' hand (or is he just happy to see Trane)?

25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Both? I mean, don't you always take out YOUR flugelhorn when you're happy to see someone?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    rxcory and Gabe Walters like this.