Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

First play through of this which arrived yesterday...
    [​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's extremely subjective. I think number of compositions do come into it, as well quality of compositions, composition and performance work rate, and innovation.

I'm not the best one to judge the quality of Schubert's compositions since lieder is my least favorite classical form, although it is growing on me. That fact that he wasn't a child prodigy like Mozart, or had a paying gig that forced him to write a lot of works like most other prolific composers (most Baroque composers, Haydn, J. Strauss Jr., etc.) makes the number of compositions impressive. It seems to me he had a compulsion to write especially considering that he labored in relative obscurity and a small proportion of his works were published in his lifetime. He also wrote in a number of forms which is a consideration. Innovation is also somewhat subjective. He supposedly was very innovative in lieder but I don't know enough about lieder to judge. My guess is he was a follower in the transition from Classical to Romantic. He couldn't have been a leader in that transition since he wasn't well known enough. It is impressive to me that he was flexible enough to make the transition. Many classical composers who lived during a transition period compose in the older style their entire career.

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Anouar BrahemBarzakh (ECM Records)
    — Anouar Brahem (oud), Bechir Selmi (violin), Lassad Hosni (percussion)

[​IMG]

lschwart and Aggie87 like this.
  4. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I completely agree. He is one of my favourite composers though so I am completely biased on the quality of his compositions particularly for solo piano which for me as a body are without peer including even Chopin. Having said that I do not enjoy lieder either and this apparently is where he was way out front in development, quality and quantity.

5. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Starting the day with a classic.

rxcory, markp, Twinsfan007 and 10 others like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was going to put on Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior because I just had it cleaned yesterday, but seeing Sidewinder reminded me that I've only played it once since I received it so I decided to put it on first instead.

rxcory, patient_ot, Morbius and 2 others like this.
  7. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Listened to it last night and again this morning. Monk rules
    [​IMG]

8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

No argument here, although he may not have been as prolific as Handel. :sigh:

:D
    :laugh:

rxcory, Tribute and ZenMango like this.
  9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Medeski, Martin and WoodElectric Tonic (MMW.net)

[​IMG]

10. David Ellis

:laugh:

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now Playing:

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

[​IMG]

I'm only about a minute or so into the first track... it's not quite what I expected... I had to get up and check the speed on my turntable because it kinda sounded like I had accidentally started playing it at 45 instead of 33, but, nope, it was right. That is not to say that I'm not enjoying what I'm hearing though.

ultron9, rxcory, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  12. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    My package from Amazon arrived with this one (currently spinning) along with the new one. Gonna be a good day.

rxcory likes this.
  13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Listen to the track featuring Becca Stevens an extra time for me, there's a pretty cool part on that track where she and Ambrose are imitating each other (I forgot who is imitating who exactly).

alamo54us likes this.
  14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now Playing: Jeff Parker - Bright Light in Winter

[​IMG]

I listened to this one pretty recently but it was in need of a cleaning so I had it cleaned last week and it made a world of difference. Plus, I find it should be listened to regularly.

ultron9 likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yeah but Monk had a bigger kitchen than Handel. Monk may have had to put his piano in the kitchen, with his back against the sink, but Handel probably had to eat in his benefactor's kitchen (Note, it looks like Monk put acoustic sound tiles on all the walls around his piano. I suppose the neighbors did not want to hear "Crepuscule With Nellie" at 4AM)

[​IMG]

jay.dee, rxcory, Erik B. and 8 others like this.
  16. Seriously, who wouldn't want to hear Crepuscule with Nellie at 4AM? :)

17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Perhaps, if we can all agree on this kitchen size metric then we can finally get to the bottom of this issue concerning the best jazz musicians of all time.

rxcory and Tribute like this.
  18. David Ellis

:D Never going to happen. We can't even agree about which is the best Miles Davis or John Coltrane.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Oh boy is this good.

Yazz Ahmed "Saboteuse"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Well... if we all agreed to use the kitchen metric then we probably could decide that too.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Crepuscule
    I looked up Crepuscule to see just what Monk was doing with Nellie

It means "Twilight", meaning those hours that Monk may have been home and awake (never at high noon). But twilight has another meaning:
    1. a period or state of obscurity, ambiguity
    Monk was "deep"

dzhason likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

These guys had unique names, so there probably is not much competition as to which Miles Davis, John Coltrane or Thelonious Monk was the best (though remember Monk was a Jr. himself)

There are four guys in town with my name. My wife will not say which one is best.

David Ellis likes this.
  23. Even though I know what the word means, for some reason I always think Crepuscule should refer to a kind of dance. Like a kind of dance you do at twilight. I know there is no etymological or historical justification for that, but I'm going to keep thinking of it that way. :)

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Back in the phone book days, I got a call for another Steve Compton that lived 4 blocks away. I've also met two other Steve Comptons.

25. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

"Deep" genius indeed. One of the true jazz originals. I remember reading somewhere that Miles (another favorite) couldn't stand him, so go figure...