Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Miles couldn't play with Monk comping behind him. He told Monk to lay out and they had a fight about it. Something like that, anyway.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I always pictured it as a mollusk-shaped confection for some reason. Sometimes you realize everyone thinks the way you do, other times, not so much.

Wish I could contribute more to the Jazz discussion but I've been on a big Grateful Dead kick lately, soon the cycle will lead to an ebb and I'll be back over here more. Right now listening to the wonderful Here Comes Sunshine from Dick's Picks 1.

rxcory, Lonson, dzhason and 1 other person like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Charles Kynard - Afro-disiac (Prestige) QRP reissue

NP Eric Dolphy- Far Cry (New Jazz) QRP reissue

rxcory and Erik B. like this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'm right there with you. :cheers:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

There's a new Eric Dolphy reissue from Analogue Productions that was just released this week, I believe.

6. :righton:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I didn't mean it like that. I meant which is the best Miles Davis or which is the best John Coltrane. Again being a little facetious as I don't believe in competition in music. I'm not a great one for any form of competition in the arts. It's all so subjective.

Six String and Lonson like this.
  8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

[​IMG]

this sh** swings hard! boy oh boy, the playing on this is something else. telepathic, at times. especially between Monk and Griffin.

tremendous stuff!

rxcory, Erik B., Blue Note and 3 others like this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Me too. Among my least favorite topics is "top 10 lists"

David Ellis likes this.
  10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    DeJohnette / Grenadier / Medeski / ScofieldHudson (Motema Music)
    — John Scofield: guitar, wooden flute; John Medeski: piano, rhodes, Hammond B-3 organ, wooden flute, vocals; Larry Grenadier: acoustic bass, vocals; Jack DeJohnette: drums, tom-tom, wooden flute, vocals

[​IMG]

11. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Went to a great show last night, I caught William Parker with Hamid Drake, Rob Brown & Cooper Moore at Shapeshifter Labs in Brooklyn. The music got quite intense and it was a group where everyone was listening closely to everyone else, so the music was well served by that. After one set I was wiped out and couldn't handle another set. My first time seeing any of them, and Hamid Drake is one incredible drummer! You think he's just stabbing around the kit and then he's got a cool rhythm going, wow!

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    The Microscopic SeptetLobster Leaps In (Cuneiform Records)
    — With Phillip Johnston: soprano saxophone; Don Davis: alto saxophone; Mike Hashim: tenor saxophone; Dave Sewelson: baritone saxophone; Joel Forrester: piano; David Hofstra: bass; Richard Dworkin: drums

[​IMG]

Lonson likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jessica Williams - All Alone (MaxJazz)

Lonson likes this.
  14. Joe_Schmoe

Joe_Schmoe Member

Okay, I got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme on vinyl, and after opening up the album and reading what's inside,. . :bigeek: :cry: . It all got put into context. This album is now a favorite, despite the fact that I'm not a religious person (he construes God in such a way as to not be monotheistic about it - which is always refreshing - but espousing one's own connection to God. You could substitute Shiva, Ifrit, your tapeworm, cheesy tator tots, macaroni and cheese, or hell, even pizza for God. I love supreme. I love supreme. I love supreme :biglaugh: ). This is definitely getting more play time from me. :righton:

rxcory, Stu02, Blue Note and 5 others like this.
  15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tony ScottMusic for Zen Meditation (Verve Master Edition)
    — Tony Scott - clarinet; Shinichi Yuize - koto; Hōzan Yamamoto - shakuhachi; Tokyo, 1964

[​IMG]

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ok, I take back all the angry emojis I gave you before and replace them with:

:hugs: :edthumbs: :thumbsup: :righton:

Joe_Schmoe likes this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The Jazztet - Real Time (Contemporary)

The return of the Jazztet in 1986 recorded live at Sweet Basil's.

Soulpope likes this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

That's actually not to far off from what I have always envisioned, which is like some sort of sea dwelling invertebrate.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. moops

moops Senior Member

Loving these at the moment ...... and a great way to grab some albums that are kind of hard to find on CD individually. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

An Hour With The Ramsey Lewis Trio (Argo) dark blue stereo pressing.
    I can usually find something to like with most jazz groups and Ramsey Lewis is an example. Sure he did a lot of popular theme albums and was commercially successful which can be a death knell for most in the eyes of "serious" jazz fans, but I've discovered a few titles that I enjoy. This is a live in the studio date designed to give the fan a taste of their club sets. The songs are jazz standards plus a gospel song given the jazz treatment. The live album recorded at the Bohemian Cavern is another title worth checkng out.

rxcory likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wow! I have three of them on vinyl but Jazz Sahara has avoided my talons. Highly recommended along with the Herbie Nichols although these are obviously gray market releases so.......

22. Avid Jazz / pirated music, priced accordingly!

Avid Jazz titles are generally cheap. Soundwise this company tinker with the source (existing CDs or LPs) by either increasing bass/treble levels, or dumbing them down.

Misleadingly these albums are packaged claiming the discs have been digitally remastered for possibly the best sound ever. This is deceptive marketing in an attempt to disguise the fact it is pirated music issued on the cheap. As is the case with most or all CDs on Avid Jazz you get what you pay for.

I actively avoid purchasing any music that I know has been pirated,cloned/copied, and as such cannot recommend any CDs issued on this label.

Electric and fingerpoppin like this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

One day you'll tell us how you really feel! :) (I don't disagree).

Listening to this one again. It's superbly recorded. I'm not really connecting to the music as much as I'd like. It's as if the leader and his rhythm section aren't really fusing, and a lot of the "non-notes" from Ambrose are not always appropriate imo. I'd like the release better if it were a piano trio album! :hide:

Do really enjoy the sound. . . .

[​IMG]

rxcory, alamo54us and Electric like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agreed, I don't buy them either. I was just surprised to see an album I've been looking for for quite some time. In fact I'm kind of surprised that anyone this day and age that would release a collection of albums by Ahmed Abdul-Malik but if you don't pay for your "master recordings" or the artist I suppose it's a gamble worth taking.

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage (Blue Note) Liberty stereo "vangelder" pressing
    Blue Motchell and Jackie McLean on the front line with Hank and John Hicks, Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins filling in the rhythm section.

rxcory, Erik B. and vanhooserd like this.