Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Well..... this thread is for jazz AND conversation. Since we're talking about it, that makes it conversation! :cool:

(plus Lonson said this thread could be about jazz and other music in the first post, so I think we're covered either way)

soundfanz and Lonson like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Indeed, my wish was for this to be a thread open to jazz and other music. . . and conversation. So far no one has expressed to me that they are unhappy with that, and though it's not MY thread (I just started it!) I really enjoy the fact that all kinds of music is mentioned and talked about. . . though it's mostly jazz, and rightly so!

budwhite, Blue Note, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I always wondered how Alicia Keys felt when she first heard Thunder On The Mountain.

Lots of great guitar playing on that CD. He was on a good run from Time Out Of Mind, Love and Theft and this one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. Lonson

"I was thinking about Bob Dylan. . .
    I was wondering who Bob Dylan thinks he is. . . ."

5. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

NP:

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (AP 45 reissue)

Was there a greater composer in jazz? In 20th century music? This album, as most of Mingus' major works, can be difficult to take in, but when you're in the mood for it, you're really in the mood for it. I happened to be reading Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's Multiversity comic book Pax Americana while listening, and my mind is thoroughly blown. Both works of extraordinary ambition and panache, by masters at the top of their form.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Banana - LIVE

Stephen Black - Clarinet, Saxophone
    Huw Evans - Guitar, Synthesizer
    Josh Klinghoffer - Marimba, Synthesizer
    Cate Le Bon - Piano, Vibraphone
    Stella Mozgawa - Bass, Marimba, Percussion
    Josiah Steinbrick - Vibraphone, Piano

Very fun jazz album by a band that was the backing band for a Cate Le Bon tour. It's right up my alley with four of the musicians doubling on percussion. I've never heard Le Bon's music but if the music behind her singing is anything like this, it might be worth checking out.

[​IMG]

LIVE, by BANANA

jay.dee, lschwart and Marzz like this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Hampton Hawes - High In The Sky (Vault) red on white stereo label
    A trio of westcoast musicians who have more than earned their place in jazz history regardless of where they practiced their craft. Hampton Hawes was a great pianist and an important part of the west coast scene for those unfamiliar with him.

NP Ricky Ford - Flying Colors (Muse) turquoise label.

Ford has been mostly a hired gun type player but he's made a few albums to under his own name.
    John Hicks - p
    Walter Booker - b
    Jimmy Cobb -d

That's nothing but class behnd him so it's not surprising for me to say it's the best album I've heard by him as a leader.
    That was a long time ago so he's probably surpassed this a long time ago. I'll just say don't pass it up if you see me it in the used bins. It will probably be inexpensive (like Hampton Hawes).

Both of these albums cost me less than $10 each. In today's world that is cheap entertainment. Just a caveat on Muse lps, they weren't/aren't great sounding records. Cds sound fine so it must be their choice in pressing plants or maybe some other choice on the production side. The label was recording a lot of artists that were otherwise being ignored so props to them for at least giving the musicians a voice.

Marzz and Soulpope like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Eric Dolphy - Last Date (Limelight) olive green label

Marzz, Morbius, rxcory and 1 other person like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Donald Byrd - I'm Trying To Get Home (Blue Note) NY stereo pressing
    This one gets a rare spin. I have to be in the he mood for the voices, the music is fine.

rxcory likes this.
  11. Been on a Zappa/Mothers kick the past few days, Freak Out through Uncle Meat. Not exactly jazz, although they smell funny too.

Marzz and Francis A Carr like this.
  12. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

I'm sorry but. When jazz and conversion. . Come together. I think of The Nitefly.. S. D.

13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

How does that sound. I believe it is only just released.

Francis A Carr likes this.
  14. Lonson

Not S.D. really but D.F. And yes, the title is supposed to evoke that connotation. (And one of my brothers' name is Lester).

15. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

Sweet music. . Someone is watching. ..

Lonson likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I am visiting Montreal right now. I really enjoy that there is a great world city north of the Adirondack Mountains. More Americans should visit this city to see how it can be done! My wife and I are not spending our`time in music stores, but I did dip into one. The thing I enjoy in Montreal music stores is that you can buy great French artists that are very hard to get in the USA. I made our B&B hostess a 40 CD collection of the complete works of the great French singer/pianist/composer/poet Barbara (Monique Serf 1930-1997), as I knew Barbara was her favorite artist. This year is the 20th anniversary of Barbara's passing.

Visit Montreal!

scompton and Francis A Carr like this.
  17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

It's one of the cleanest sounding of the AP Prestige releases I have. The drums are clear and crisp and Dolphy's sax, clarinet and flute are extremely well detailed.

Stu02 likes this.
  18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I have to add Freddie Hubbard is outstanding opposite Dolphy!

Francis A Carr and Stu02 like this.
  19. Francis A Carr

Francis A Carr Member

At least someone is watching us newbz..
    I have spent many vac. In Quebec area.. Ottawa fishing. . Old Quebec has numerous shops for record hunting

20. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

thanks for the heads up. had this one sat in my (virtual) basket for a week or so. gonna bite the bullet. nice one man!

Francis A Carr and Morbius like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Coleman Hawkins - At Ease Wih Coleman Hawkins (Prestige) Moodsville

NP McCoy Tyner Plays John Coltrane (Impulse)
    A wonderful tribute to his musical partner and mentor with George Mraz and Al Foster.

rxcory and Francis A Carr like this.
  22. Lonson

The Solid Records cd version. Loud!

[​IMG]

SteelyTom, vanhooserd, NorCal and 2 others like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Bill Evans with Jeremy Steig, Eddie Gomez and Marty Morell (Verve) black MGM stereo pressing

I've been getting by with a cdr of this one for years so I'm glad to finally have the lp of this superb session. Bill Evans wrote the liner notes too, bonus points!

24. jazz1960man

jazz1960man Well-Known Member

Today's listening.

[​IMG] Perhaps my all time favorite recording. Listening to CD today, but have listened to the LP 100's of times.

25. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I just stumbled upon this. Wow!