Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've known a lot of non-Canadians (including myself) who like Bruce Cockburn's stuff. Heck, a couple friends even asked me to sing and play Wondering Where the Lions Are for them at their wedding.

rockinlazys and Stu02 like this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was just listenin' to Reachin' a couple of weeks ago, been quite a while but I've always loved that album. When I first got that CD way back I was really blown away by the fact that they started the album off with that synth sample from Sextant.

I'm not sure exactly but I think I have this one (I know I have one CD of MR & The Prosthetic Cubans). I've been meaning to put it on for the last month or so but haven't made it around to it. I'm sure I will sometime soon after we get back from vacation.

Erik B. likes this.
  3. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I'm finishing up the last disc of Mosaic's Dial recordings. I ordered this one and the Savoy set when Mosaic put out the word they needed some help. I know the Charlie Parker recordings well, but did not realize how much I'd enjoy listening to this set. A great snapshot of 2-3 years of post WWII be-bop. Really great. And the booklet is one of the best Mosaic has offered..it reads more like a story than a sessionography.

[​IMG]

snowwhat, Lonson and Erik B. like this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I need to pull their CDs out again and give em a listen again

dzhason likes this.
  5. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

American, but in Toronto this week. :)
    Sorry to see my favorite CD shop, Vortex, is gone. Walked down to Sonic Boom and picked up a few used CDs (a couple of Verve Herbie Hancocks, Jackie McLean's Let Freedom Ring, and a late Joe Henderson title), but I was disappointed in their selection this visit.
    I've been a Cockburn fan for many years, I think I have close to his complete catalog. IMO he's vastly under rated.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

They do have a second cd for sure because I have it. Both albums are equally strong imo.

NP Chet Baker - Chet (Riverside) OJC vinyl

rxcory, vanhooserd and David Ellis like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Toronto has really abandoned cds. There are dozens of record shops ( for both new and used ) but soundscapes on college is about the only good cd shop left and it is not as good as it used to be.

8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

This is the one I have, looks like the s/t. It is fantastic and fun, but, as usual, my favorite track is probably one of the slower tunes, "Esclavo Triste", I believe is its title.

[​IMG]

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's the one I was playing. The other one I have is Muy Divertido which I find equally as good as the eponymous title.

WP John Coltrane - Ballads (Impulse) orange & black stereo original

NP Coltrane (Prestige) AP/QRP pressing

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  10. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

Relaxing this morning with some mellow Norwegian jazz:

[​IMG] -

My wife and I took a Baltic cruise in May that included a call in Oslo, and being an aficionado of Norwegian jazz and Nujazz the first thing I did after we booked it was scope Oslo for a jazz CD shop. Found BARE Jazz in the middle of downtown on Google. I told my wife I didn't care what else we did in Oslo, but I wanted to spend some time there. They conveniently had a separate section for local artists and I picked this one up based on the recommendation of the owner. Also grabbed Terje Rypdal's Vossabrygg and Nils Petter Molvaer's latest, Buoyancy. The store had a nice little cafe area upstairs where we then chilled and had a couple of locals beers. The music is a great memento of the trip, better than a T-shirt for sure!

jay.dee, Erik B. and NorthNY Mark like this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You like that AP Coltrane? I was considering it but I already have the K2 CD. Although, they have a lot of albums in their Prestige and Fantasy series that I don't have which I'd like to pick up first, particularly some of the Gene Ammons.

12. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

During the last jazz88 pledge drive I made my pledge and picked a 6 CD set - The 75 Best Jazz Tracks of the 1960s.

Got it yesterday - playing it now
    [​IMG]

Wow - gorgeous sound, fantastic tracks. I'm loving this!

Lonson likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I can't get over how good this CD set is.

It's like binging on your favorite TV series. Just hit play and start grooving. 476 minutes of great jazz!

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I do indeed like that Coltrane albm. If you already have it then you know the album so are asking about sound quality?
    It sounds good to my ears. I don't have any complaints. Might as well diversify and get the Ammons though, eh?

I've been on a Joe Henry kick today while doing a little cleaning and tea drinking. I've been threatening to plug in a guitar.

Erik B. likes this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

These guys were just so good. Very innovative.

[​IMG]

18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Cannonball Adderley Quartet in SF

Agree with above, we don't listen to enough Cannonball.

[​IMG]

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Without intending to, I have taken a vacation from jazz recently until I played this 1987 reissue tonight. Sessions from 4/3/54 with the immortal Davey Schildkraut on alto & 4/29/54 with Johnson & Thompson. The same rhythm section is on both sessions. Recorded at Van Gelder's in Hackensack. No remastering credit on this CD.

johnnypaddock, Six String and WorldB3 like this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Wonderful jazz-influenced music, well-played & recorded. Columbia recordings from the 60s/early 70s on this 1990 reissue.

David Ellis, Six String and Lonson like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Love Cannonball and This Here from this is one of my favorites of his.

Lonson likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Monk Alone (Columbia) two cd set

I'm listening to the secnd disc of rare tracks.

rxcory, vanhooserd and Lonson like this.
  23. Lonson

The SHM-CD. . .

[​IMG]

24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The Giants of JazzGiants Of Jazz In Berlin '71 (EmArcy Records / Nippon Phonogram)
    — With Dizzy Gillespie – trumpet; Sonny Stitt – alto and tenor saxophone; Kai Winding – trombone; Thelonious Monk – piano; Al McKibbon – double bass; Art Blakey – drums

[​IMG]

Six String and Lonson like this.
  25. Lonson

[​IMG]
    Another SHM-CD