Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I heard Wednesday A.M. Prayer Meeting on the local jazz station one day about 21 years ago and had to go get this album immediately.

rockinlazys, Archtop, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I think this album is a masterpiece. Melodic, soothing, yet pushing boundaries.

3. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

In complete agreement. Everytime I put on an album with Sam Jones I'm compelled to listen to him no matter what is going on around him. If I recall correctly, his work with Horace Parlan is what really made me take notice. :thumbsup:

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I don't know h0w much the "Blu-Spec" contributes, but this CTI Supreme Series sounds excellent. Supposedly flat transfers from album tapes, though I am not confident there isn't some EQ involved. Anyway quite good sounding, I've bought about 2/3 of both batches. . . they are cheap as well.

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Red Garland - A Garland Of Red (Prestige) Mono black & yellow NY label

One of my favorite artists to listen to early in the morning when I'm waking up slowly with a cup of tea in hand. This morning it's a new batch of Darjeeling that just arrived.

We talked to a couple of old guys sitting at our table who were obvious fans and turns out they were local musicians as well. The pianist had seen Bill Evans at the Vanguard with Scott LaFaro and the other saw Miles' Second Great Quintet in San Francisco in the Sixties. Talk about jealous! Dream shows for a lot of jazz fans.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Randy Weston - Little Niles (UA) turquoise stereo label.

This is such a joyous album but then I find that characteristic thread running through a lot of Randy's music.

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Miles DavisThe Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965 – CD 1 December 22 1965 first set (Columbia/Legacy)
    — With Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz, Rob C, vanhooserd and 8 others like this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The Music Of Ahmed Abdul-Malik (Newjazz/Prestige) OJC mono pressing
    Bass player with Monk at one time. He developed an interest in tbe oud which he features here along with a cellist, trumpet, tenor sax and clarinet and of course Malik's bass and drums by Andrew Cyrille. It's an interesting blend of sounds.

rockinlazys likes this.
  9. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Cloudy Saturday in this first weekend of fall over Montreal...listening to the last four Miles Davis Prestige albums, Steamin' , Workin', Relaxin' & Cookin'. I have a weakness for Workin'. Which one is your favorite ?

Lonson, Guitarded and Starwanderer like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's hard for me to choose favorites of anything I like as much as Miles' music. Steamin' and Cookin' stand out a bit but Workin' is pretty great too. Tough choices.

NP Kenny Clarke - Bohemia After Dark (Savoy) SHM SACD from Japan.

Lonson and dennis the menace like this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Of those four I'd say Workin' . . . but I like them all.

After sneaking in a listen to the new Hendrix (WOW) and the new Bob Weir (pretty good!) I'm back to probably the only jazz listen of the day (Lucy and I are heading over to Avon to take Dad out to dinner).

[​IMG]

The second disc. And a good one.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

From an Evan Iverson interview with Fred Hersch:

FH: Well, I found my graduate school at Bradley’s, which was 100 yards from where I was living from ’77-‘79. I started hanging out there a lot with the intention of getting a gig there. People were very nice about letting me sit in, and Jimmy Rowles let me sit in, and Kenny Barron finally let me sit in. And finally somebody said, I think Red Mitchell, “Give the kid a gig.” And luck of the draw, I was hired by Sam Jones, and from there, I was in. If Sam said you could play, you could play. There was nobody more respectable in the Jazzy-Jazz tradition.

EI: Well, he was also so great.

FH: Killer time player, always played the right note. He was a really a great, great teacher without teaching.

Archtop and BluTom like this.
  14. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening now to the killer live material recorded by an US jazz-rock outfit Chase led by late trumpeter Bill Chase, recorded on their 1973-74 tours and made available by the band's bassist Dartanyan Brown on his own page:

Chase (the band) question »

Must-hear for all the fans of early jazz-rock, especially Nucleus and alike. Great rock riffs combined with heady jazz improvisations, all within intricate arrangements. Top act in its category and period.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Steamin' for me

16. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

I actually read that interview maybe 6 months ago but totally forgot about that portion. Thanks!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  17. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Is this still OOP ? Really sorry I missed it. I have the compilation.

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Is that an early version of Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting? ;)

All this talk of Sam Jones makes me want to share this:

The only cat whose name isn't on the cover, and he's the one driving the railroad spike through the whole thing.

Three additional observations:

1. Note how Curtis Fuller quotes When Johnny Comes Marching Home from 2:39-2:55. There's also a brilliant bit of call and response just after that.
    2. Fuller himself cut a version of Minor Vamp with Benny Golson (the composer of this piece) on Blues-ette, which is a great record, but that version of Minor Vamp is thin compared to the Blue Mitchell version.
    3. Five Spot After Dark from Blues-ette is one of my favorite jazz tracks of all time.

19. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

This is one CD that gets played constantly...I love brazilian music/singers and jazz and when you combined both plus some great musicians such as Marc Johnson, Randy Brecker, Vicente Amigo. Oscar Castro Neves, Paulinho da Costa among others you end up with this gem, "Around the City" (CD, Bluebird(/RCA Victor 2006).

[​IMG]

Great tunes and SQ. "Secrets (Segredos)" is the kind of jazz melody that's right up my alley. One anecdotal observation (kind of TMZ stuff :winkgrin:), Randy Brecker was Eliane Elias' husband until they got divorced and Eliane married Marc Johnson later on. Randy and Eliane had a daughter, Amanda Brecker who happens to collaborate in this album too...so there you go, one big family who gets along just fine :laugh:

20. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Sam Jones- The Soul Society (Riverside)
    [​IMG]
    Nice Japanese pressing.

21. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Cool Struttin' - Sonny Clark ( Blue Note ) Art Farmer - trumpet/ Jackie McClean - alto/ Sonny Clark - piano/ Paul Chambers - bass/ Philly Joe Jones - drums.

It is cold and rainy outside but inside this music is hot and cookin' to my ear. Comfort music, a long time favorite that always does the trick.

22. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Another fine piece of music by both Eliane Elias and Marc Johnson "Swept Away" (CD, ECM 2012). They are joined by Joe Lovano and Joey Baron which makes up this quartet that plays great music. First and second track "Swept Away" and "It's Time" are just beautiful, smooth sounding music to just relax, followed up by some great "jammin'" by Elias and Johnson on "One Thousand and One Nights" and so the great tunes go on...this is one great issue to have if you like Elias and/or Johnson.

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz, Starwanderer and MikeT. like this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

24. MikeT.

MikeT. Forum Resident

While I'm thinking about it, what is a good source for Japanese pressings, jazz and otherwise? I don't think I've ever heard a bad one.

25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

CDJapan is the best I know.

CDJapan : Music »