Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Just thought I would mess with everyone tonight and play a couple titles with garish, neon-colored cover art! :) It's purely coincidental that I may have spent too much time in the sun, the last couple days.

NP: 2014 hi-res [24/192] - Freddie Hubbard - The Night Of The Cookers - Live At Club La Marchal, Volume 1

This is not the greatest sound quality, despite the hi-res release. It is still not bad for a live show recorded in 1965. However, it is a fun performance. At several points, you can hear the audience goading the band and the band playing off the audience's energy. Horns ablaze, you can't help but toe tap along.

[​IMG]

WP: 2012 AP SACD - Hank Mobley - Mobley's Message

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I missed one... How do you abbreviate "was playing" one play prior to the most recent WP? Maybe WWP? Or just repeat WP? But that seems too bland. So, I'll go with WWP until someone corrects me.

WWP: 2004 SACD - The Wes Montgomery Trio - The Wes Montgomery Trio

[​IMG]

3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

How is the sound on the Mobley AP? I've streamed the album a couple times while grilling outside earlier in the summer and thought it was a little lo-fi compared to some other titles (e.g. Jackie Mac's "4,5,&6"). Of course, I'm comparing the AP Jackie Mac to a streamed version of the Mobley. Previously I wouldn't have thought there would be all that big of a difference between the overall sound of a streamed vs. non-streamed version of an album, but, before getting the Music Matters reissues of the Jazz Messengers at the Cafe Bohemia vol. 1&2, I had streamed the same albums. Well, I couldn't believe the difference after hearing the MMs.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Erik B. and Aura like this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Was playing once removed?

Six String, Erik B. and Aura like this.
  5. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

SQ is quite fine. It's a typical mid-50's Van Gelder. Probably not my favorite era, but it's still a good one when the mood strikes.

I can see how this title may not translate via streaming. A particular example: "52nd Street Theme" has a piano solo and the drums and bass are a bit recessed. It sounds nice on a good system when you can run the volume higher and hear dynamics to its fullest extent.

Ah, you should have said "Wes playing!" ;)

dzhason likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Grant Green - Idle Moments (Music Matters 33)

[​IMG]

rxcory, Stu02, Six String and 7 others like this.
  7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I played my MM 33 of this a few times yesterday. Just can't get enough of it. Quickly rising to the top of my favorites list. Bobby Hutch adds a beautiful vibe to this record and Grant's guitar tone is addictive.

rxcory, Erik B., dzhason and 2 others like this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Absolutely. I've been waiting for my replacement of KB's Midnight Blue to arrive in the mail from Music Matters (the first copy had a series of nasty pops with each revolution for a good chunk of the third track. My only experience so far with returning a MM, no problems, they were very good about it. Hope the replacement is good), it was supposed to arrive today but didn't, so I put this one on instead. It's out of this world good.

9. Not to mention Herbie Mann, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones, Connie Kay, and Pepper Adams. A really nice, laid-back album to unwind with late at night. It would also be a great romantic backdrop if your significant other enjoyed listening to jazz (I am not so fortunate).

AaronW, Erik B. and NorCal like this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have never been so fortunate. But in a way it's great, jazz is MINE. She can have the country pop.

ianuaditis, Mark E. Moon and Erik B. like this.
  11. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Tonight's musical celebrity death match: Miles Davis vs. Billy Joe Shaver

My money is on Miles in the first round! :)

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Doing a little late night comparative listening to the breakneck paced "So What"s from Plugged Nickel and Miles in Berlin.

Erik B. and vanhooserd like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

My wife had never really listened to jazz before we met (27 years ago this spring) but fortunately she took to it quickly. She doesn't like things that are "out" or real noisy, but enjoys most mainstream jazz, which makes up a lot of my jazz listening. Other things I play when she's at work or asleep. We also listen to a lot of classical as well as some rock, classic country & pop.

Marzz and Aura like this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

There's a Miles track called "Willie Nelson" but, as far as I know, not one called "Billy Joe Shaver".

ianuaditis and Aura like this.
  15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Beautiful Japanese King pressing from 1983:

[​IMG]

rxcory, Marzz, alankin1 and 5 others like this.
  16. Lonson

I think Miles' tune may be named after a tenor player (?)

17. Lonson

That's awesome.

I would wish for that if my wife were far more into music than she is and was playing country and classic rock constantly. But she's not. She likes music for dancing and as she dances both for and with me, that's great. And she does enjoy some classical music for quiet time listening, which works for me.

I've had a partner very into music that I didn't like before. It's good that she understood my love of music and shared it, it was bad in that I didn't like the music played more often than not. . . .

So I'm totally happy that my wife doesn't really get into jazz at all. . . though I'm finding that she'll enjoy or tolerate some Grant Green or occasionally some Dexter Gordon or Barney Wilen. . . I'm slowly beginning to nurture some interest in the mellower mainstream jazz.

vanhooserd likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Keith Jarrett & Charlie Haden - Last Dance (ECM)

19. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    the sixteen men of tain allan holdsworth

alankin1 likes this.
  20. Lonson

The man in trio format.

[​IMG]

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Willie & Miles shared management for a while. Probably "Willie Nelson" had no title at the time it was played & recorded and was named later during the period of shared management. The whole situation as to composer credits & titles for some of Miles' recordings seems a bit murky.

Marzz and danasgoodstuff like this.
  22. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

dzhason likes this.
  23. David Ellis

Seven Steps is awesome but so are SMPWC, Headhunters and Boss Tenor. Difficult choices.

24. David Ellis

Strange title; the Thirteen Men Of Tain, or Twelve Men & One Woman as it was when I visited, is the folks at the Glenmorangie distillery, north of Inverness:)

Six String likes this.
  25. Lonson

This one again. Wonderful release.

Yazz Alhmed "La Saboteuse"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]