Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Ervin is one of those players (like Joe Henderson) that is comfortable inside or outside, and he moves between the two within the scope of a song or even a phrase. I'm drawn to that style and find it exciting. The band of Ervin, Dawson, Byard, and Davis is one of the best (I've seen them compared to the Miles second great quintet), with interplay that can verge on the telepathic. I think the Freedom and Space books are their only recordings as a unit and, as I understand, it was strictly a studio band.

Stu02 and dzhason like this.
  2. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Miles DavisNewport Jazz Festival 1967 [(CD 2b) from The Bootleg Series Vol. 4, At Newport 1955-75] (Columbia/Legacy)
    — With Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams; recorded live at Festival Field, Newport, RI

[​IMG]

BKphoto, Six String, DTK and 3 others like this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Jackie McLean - Jackknife

[​IMG]

Soulpope and Six String like this.
  4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

What is the sound/recording quality on this? And who recorded it? Was the band inspired?
    Thanks in advance.:cool:

5. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I defer to the jury here, what is your opinion of this album?
    I have never heard it.

garrincha and johnnypaddock like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I like his other jazz inspired albums (see, for example, the Yesterday's New Quintet album I posted on Saturday). I don't remember if I have this particular one or not.

7. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Thanks, I found the link in the other post you mentioned

8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I looked up the tracklist and all the names are familiar so I do believe I have this one. I started streaming it now since I'm in the office, it's good if you like that sort of thing (my coworkers are certainly enjoying it :laugh:, just kidding, I'm on headphones). Although, I might prefer his YNQ and other hip-hop material over this.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

It's been a sort of busy weekend with in-laws visiting and I haven't been able to check out any more of the new records I got last week, needless to say I've been itching to do so; thus, despite being a little bushed, I had to put on:

Joe Henderson - In 'n Out (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

David Ellis, vanhooserd, Aura and 5 others like this.
  10. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

what pressing is this ?

I have the 2fer...

its been a while, hope everyone is doing fine....

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Oh my, yes it has been a while, hope you've been well! Nice to "see" you again. BTW, your profile image of Miles, who did that painting? Bruni?

I was streaming Jacknife via Apple Music while at work today. So you have the 2xLP version that has both sessions on it? The one I was listening to only had the quintet session.

12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

New from Tim Berne's Snakeoil : Incidentals

[​IMG]

This group gets better and better.

Rob C likes this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Screenshot from this weekend's Lawrence Welk Show. Paul Humphrey may be the only great jazz drummer who played for both Welk & Zappa.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Apple is probably using the digital version of the US Blue Note cd that has that cover.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Many years ago I went to a well known drum shop in San Francisco to check out cymbals. I didn't find anything I had to have but I noticed that Tony Williams taught there. Holy cow, I wanted to sign up but I'm sure the waiting list was rediculous and driving two hours one way, and that would be away from commute time, I knew it wouldn't work out. Just to get two or three lessons with the man would have been amazing imo.

David Ellis and Lonson like this.
  16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I believe it is, he has so many, could be a copy....it was just a quick google search...

yes, the 2fer has both, that series is a ridiculously good value...NM, i think i paid 9 bucks...

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, that would indeed have been amazing!

18. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Ive been on the Blue Mitchell bandwagon for a while now...Bring It Home To Me is in heavy rotation at the moment...

dzhason likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Looks like it would be. I went through a big Monk and Charlie Parker phase that lasted probably from '02-'09 and I bought two lithographs of Bruni paintings (one each of Bird and Monk, of course) probably in '03 or '04.

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm not & never could be a drummer or any type of musician, but in the early 80s I lived in a house with guys who had formed a band & practiced in the back room. Occasionally I would be the only one home & I would sit at the drums & pretend to be Tony Williams, with a little Elvin mixed in. You should have heard my cymbal work! Since I was improvising to music in my head, it probably was a little like a much less talented 10-year-old Denardo Coleman.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I know some here may not haunt the other big jazz thread, so I thought I'd cross post this picture here:

[​IMG]

22. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

man, Chet was such a good looking guy before losing the teeth and living the life of a hellraiser

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I took jazz lessons from a drummer who was tge house drummer in San Francisco in the 50s/early 60/ names Forrest Elidge. He wasn't Tony but he knew a lot and showed me how to play everything I asked for and he told great stories of the old days. It was almost worth it for the history. I'm no Tony either as guitar is my first instrument but drums are fun to play.

David Ellis and vanhooserd like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Maybe your Tony of guitar.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Six String likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sonny Clark - Dial "S" for Sonny

[​IMG]