Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Now, I just saw a spreadsheet with month by month tabulations of my music expenses. Forget about harmony. It looks like solo blues to me.

Purplerocks, Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  2. jeff1951

jeff1951 Forum Resident

I am wondering if you may be thinking of drummer Ralph Humphrey's work with FZ. Ralph Humphrey | Credits | AllMusic

3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Remember peeps used to dance to jazz? This one'll have you up and on whatever you pivot with, ha. Lionel Hampton in Belgium, '58. Excellent band, too.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That entire series of Jazz DVDs was superb. The booklets that came inside were outstanding, If there is someone you like in the series, be sure to try to get it. Some public libraries have them. Thank you European Television for documenting jazz, something rarely done in the USA

Mark E. Moon, NorCal and ando here like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Disc 1. Very nice collection of influential recordings!

Stu02 likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does this contain anything unreleased or otherwise rare by Joao?

Several video concerts by Joao circulate. Very worthwhile.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It ended up not so bad. I agreed to no longer focus on alternate takes, and she agreed to focusing on romantic (or miserable) ballads, which are really my main thing. She said if that rare first edition of Bob Dylan's Freewheelin' came up, I should be satisfied with my bootleg, unless the owner would trade it for my extra canoe.

I do not live in a flood zone, so I was gonna give my canoes away anyway. I prefer kayaks, mostly because I really like the word "KAYAK". The only way that word could be improved is by reversing the last K, so that it had perfect symmetry.

If anyone here has the complete unreleased alternate takes of Bill Evans that they would trade for a 16 foot canoe, please contact me.

[​IMG]

This is the canoe. The decorations would be included if you could make up a certificate of authenticity.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and dzhason like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

They both worked &/or recorded with Zappa. I think Paul is on one track of 'Hot Rats' & maybe some other stuff. I'm far from a Zappa expert.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is an organization like "Alternate Takes Anonymous" (like AA), where collectors get together and talk about alternate take syndrome, the fact that they are ill, and how long they have been free of the need to hear and own every alternate take. I'm hoping for an organization where "out-takes" are still OK, like coffee at an AA meeting.

I'd much rather do that than try hypnotism, which I am afraid might turn me into a smooth jazz fan.

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual thread here somewhere for that. SH forum seems a bit like the iPhone or other mobile devices in that regard: while the devices always seem to have "an app for that" the forum has "a thread for that".

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I always crack up about the numerous threads titled "I'm done buying CDs" or "Do I Have A Problem?" On SHF.

To a forum full of enablers!!!!

Stu02 and dzhason like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hate going to financial planning meetings, because as soon as the guy on the other side of the desk starts talking about CD's, I start to salivate and thinking about my Amazon wish list.

markp and dzhason like this.
  14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Horace Tapscott - The Giant is Awakened from Flying Dutchman. Wish I had the LP. I'll post shortly another Tapscott related CD, which some might not be aware he was involved in.

[​IMG]

15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Horace Tapscott composed all these songs and arranged/conducted this gem of an album:
    Sonny Criss Sonny's Dream (Birth of the New Cool). The title track is in my top 10 of jazz songs. Sonny's alto playing is incredible. If you like small group "orchestras" like Mingus and Ellington, give this a try. I think this had 10 players on it, rich texture of sound typical of Tapscott.

[​IMG]

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

WP Shorter Night Dreamer. MM 33
    NP this
    [​IMG]
    All the Uptown talk re labels got me curious to see which version I had. A Tone Parrallel to Harlem always sounds like a collision of old and new worlds of Jazz to me. I just love it.
    A foot in big band sounds of old with free modern composition that even reminds me of Mingus :hide:

garrincha, Jackie P, Morbius and 2 others like this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this
    I am unfamiliar with Russell. Streaming this now while grilling Poblamo peppers for a Mexican dish while here in Toronto we have a spell of tropical weather bringing perhaps the best weather of the summer
    Better late then never I guess.
    I am really enjoying this Lonson right up my street. I have a number of live recordings from the 5 spot and they all have great sound.
    Edit: apparently this is a studio recording rather then a live lp with the applause edited out. Curious they felt the need to call it a live album.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Lonson and dzhason like this.
  18. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Loaded up a USB stick for the car with early to mid 70's albums by McCoy Tyner, Sonny Rollins and Weather Report. That's my commuting for the week sorted.

I've tried to like Weather Report a couple of times previously but never quite managed it. Will give it another go. Tyner and Rollins are new to me.

For context, 60's Blue Note and 70's CTI/Kudu tends to be my favourite stuff.

Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I
    I like your context - 60s Blue Note and 70s CTI/Kudu. I recomend some 70s Tyner Sama Layuca, Sahara, and Enlightnement from Milestone Records andhis 70s Blue Notes Extensions and Expansions

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It looks like a beautiful copy! I forgot my history of Columbia labels. I am beginning to think the blue label might have been the first pressing, but maybe it was the green. At any rate, they are both very early pressings. I love early pressings in any condition. They are of their time. Bought when the record was new in the stores and when the Duke was still a reasonably young man. Maybe Charlie Parker bought a copy.

Stu02 likes this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. I have tried to self analyze my love of old records , labels, early pressings , beat up covers etc... sometimes I think it is simply my love of the music translated to a love of all things related to the music. But it goes deeper then that. Irrational perhaps but deeply human never the less. We are not alone in this Tribute
    PS. bought this for about 12 bucks a year or 2 ago.

22. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Anybody know much about this album?

[​IMG]

Found it a couple of weeks ago and grabbed it. I always thought Pearl was a fantastic vocalist, and so far this is very good.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Tony Rice - Mar West

Any Tony Rice fans here? The title track and the version of Nardis on here is fantastic. I tend to enjoy Bluegrass, Country and English Folk stuff around the beginning of October for some reason.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and Six String like this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

[​IMG]

This is the only thing I know by Ike but I love it. I generally love the small uncluttered combos. Ike, Grant Green, philly Joe and Paul Chambers. Nice way to end the weekend. I like these blue note 75s because they’re a cheap way to discover and dig a little deeper.

25. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Some great playing by Grant Green on that. I might pick up the 75 myself since I only have it on CD.

Aura, guidedbyvoices and DLant like this.