Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Bossanova Soul Samba is another good one.

I like Tony Rice but I don't have a lot, just one Rice compilation and a sideman thing with The David Grisman Quintet (the one below).

[​IMG]

Aura, Crispy Rob, DLant and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A friend of mine bought a 10 inch LP of Ellington at a garage sale for 25 cents that was signed by every member of Duke's band including Hodges and Carney, EXCEPT Duke himself. My guess is the original owner walked around the bandstand as all the members packed up their instruments, and that Duke had left already with three or four ladies.

I like original LP issues (and other old things) because I like cultural history. I feel the entire vibe of the period, who was walking the streets, what was on their mind, what were their pleasures and sorrows. And how big was a nickel chocolate bar.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    guidedbyvoices, bozburn and Stu02 like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

She did make many albums. The companies pushed her trademark as singing risque, sexy, teasing lyrics, because they sold well to people who did not buy straight ahead jazz singers. That was OK, but it is too bad the companies did not encourage or allow her to sing more ballads.

4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

There is another excellent thread on jazz singers of the 30s through 60s that you might find interesting. It's a sporadic thread but quite great when it's being contributed to
    Obscure & Neglected Female Singers Of Jazz & Standards (1930s to 1960s)

DLant likes this.
  5. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Thank you for linking that. I believe I may have posted in that a while ago, but had forgotten about it.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I know the 75s are hit or miss vinyl quality but amazon returns are easy so it doesn’t bother me , and for the price, all that I’ve gotten to date have done the job. This one sounds really good on my modest set up

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

*raises hand*. Yes indeed. I have a bunch of his early lps and some of the spinoff musicians. It's all i strumemtal stuff though I have nderstand he was a good singer too before his health issues. Tony Rice Unit, Manzanita, Backwaters and the eponymous first off the top of my head, plus a few others. An amazing player and it's heart breaking to watch him get sideline by his health issues.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I've only heard him on a few things but know he's a whiz. Also saw him once in a trio with Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen.

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Good Monday morning!
    What better way to kick off a new week,...
    [​IMG]

and I'll follow up with,...
    [​IMG]

Aura, garrincha, markp and 8 others like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Bobo Stenson Trio - Reflections (ECM)

NP Art Peoper - Winter Moon (Galaxy)

NorCal likes this.
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I found a used Beyond Description (1973-1989) box set of the Grateful Dead's studio albums on Friday for a pretty decent price. The box and booklets weren't in the greatest condition but the CD's all looked good so I was satisfied enough to pick it up. Thus, for the next while I'm going to be conducting a listening tour through their studio discography. I don't know if I'll be able to get through all of the albums below today, but I'm going to try.

The Grateful Dead (1967)

[​IMG]

Anthem of the Sun (1968)

[​IMG]

Aoxomoxoa (1969)

[​IMG]

Workingman's Dead
    (1970-06-14)

[​IMG]

American Beauty (1970-11-01)

[​IMG]

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'm a huge Russell fan - all of his late 50s/early 60s small group albums are worth hearing especially Ezz-thetics.

Also, his Jazz Workshop from 1955-6 with Bill Evans in some of his earliest sessions is excellent.

Stu02, dzhason and Six String like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Anthem Of The Sun is one of my favorite albums. I love the way it combines studio & live recordings. The first album is also great in an almost garage/punk way, with a screaming noise climax for "Viola Lee Blues".

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, Anthem is great, this is my first time giving a full listen to the debut, though. I streamed a good chunk of it earlier in the summer when I had first gotten back on the bus, but I guess I hadn't quite steeped enough in the Dead kool-aid at that point because I didn't really like what I heard. Now, however, I'm completely loving its psyche/garage/punk sound. This version I'm listening to is the Rhino CD with the bonus tracks, some extra studio tracks, like "Alice D. Millionaire" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy", and a live version of "Viola Lee Blues" (which is currently playing).

Frosst and vanhooserd like this.
  15. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

The first album is kind of surf punk and it's obvious the drug of choice mothers little helper. Funny to think back on those early set lists with 4 minute Dark Stars and 25 minute Viola Lee Blues in them.

vanhooserd and dzhason like this.
  16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I didn't know about his health problems, the last few times I saw him he just seemed older but not in bad health. There is good vocal he did titled Cold On The Shoulder. I mostly prefer the space grass instrumental stuff but his vocals are fine for the music he plays.

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I can't remember what it is but he can't sing anymore, can barely speak loud enough to hear I think and I think he's unable to play his instruments. Like you I prefer the instrumental music so I'm not sure I have anything with headphones s voice on them. One of the the all time great pickers though no doubt in my mind.

NP Don Friedman VIP Trio - Scarborough Fair (88's) BSCD2

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce! - The Curtis Counce Group (Contemporary) Orig. mono promo lp

Given to me by my father-in-law who was a big record collector too but not really jazz so it was something he picked up at a garage sale. It was probably the cover that made him buy it.:) Great stuff though and I never felt a need to upgrade to an audiophile reissue. It has Carl Perkins on piano which I really like.

AaronW, vanhooserd and dzhason like this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Nice picks! I played Speak No Evil and Night Dreamer on Apple Music today. Haven’t checked out Juju yet

dzhason likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I think that cover could get most boys to do a lot of things they wouldn't ordinarily do. :agree:

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I don't think young boys really need any encouragement.

NP Sonny Criss - Jazz - U.S.A. (Imperial) Classic Records 200gm reissue

vanhooserd likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You're probably right about that, but I was thinking more along the lines of things like: painting the bathroom pink, going to that fancy French restaurant, getting a minivan, not buying all the alternate takes, etc.

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

And when would a young boy have the ability to do those things? :confused::help:

25. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Never heard Ju Ju? With McCoy Tyner, it's a classic. From one of my favorite eras '63-'69 pre-electric.

Stu02 and Crispy Rob like this.