Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Jason Rebello, "A Clearer View' . .. produced by Wayne Shorter.

[​IMG]

GeoffC likes this.
  2. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

if I remember well this is in a Charles Chaplin movie

Tribute likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe you are thinking of the closing soliloquy of "The Great Dictator", Chaplin's first talkie. He wanted to make a talking picture just to deliver that soliloquy, and it is a great moment in film.

That above video is the actual clip from the film. This following one has overdubbed music. We can debate whether that is worthwhile, but you might find it interesting:

[Best Version] The Great Dictator Speech - Charlie Chaplin + Time - Hans Zimmer (INCEPTION Theme)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Imaginary encounters between real people that may have happened, but we will never know.

I have always found great power from a person's eyes. I often buy an album just from seeing the person's eyes, and it seems to be a good way to find great works most of the time

Leo Ferre meets Bob Dylan.

I would say that Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize in Literature was a symbolic Nobel Prize to Leo Ferre, and other singer-songwriter-poets too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's more like it. I forgot about those people who put silly prices on some titles hoping some fool with more money than sense comes along and has to have it now and their copy is the only one on the list.

NP Keith Jarrett A Multitude Of Angels - Modena Concert (ECM)
    I haven't played anything from this box in a while..

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Keeping with the Jarrett box, NP Genova. Some of my favorite solo piano discs by KJ.

Lonson likes this.
  7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Came across this photo of Art Blakey, Tony Williams and Elvin Jones in Nagoya, Japan.

[​IMG]

Peter A, DTK, fingerpoppin and 11 others like this.
  8. Lonson

Elvin travels with a guitar!

btf1980 likes this.
  9. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

A wonderful story, thanks for sharing stay strong, hang on to the memories. Immerse yourself in the music.

10. Lonson

Looking forward to Bootleg Series Vol. 13
    [​IMG]

markp and Tribute like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I know Dylan has quite a legacy in his archive, but so do many others. I wish more artists and their management would be releasing such editions. Some started (like Johnny Cash and Miles Davis) but they have slowed down. There are still customers.

DTK likes this.
  12. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Blue Spring - Kenny Durham Septet featuring Cannonball Adderly. Riverside 1139

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Solitude - Songs by Billie Holiday. Verve Clef Series. MGV-8074.

Required.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stu02 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like that Kenny Dorham album a lot. I have the mono release, same vintage (blue label).

NP George Adams - Sound Suggestions (ECM)
    This has Richie Beirach, Kenny Wheeler, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Heintz Sauer, the last guy I'm not familiar with but he plays tenor sax along with George. Great sound as always.

Cardanken likes this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Elvin's Blues!

Lonson and vanhooserd like this.
  16. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Lonson likes this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Even their fashion sense is timeless! Almost looks like a bag of rice that Elvin's holding.

btf1980 likes this.
  18. Lonson

This one again. Blue Note All Stars "Blue Spirit"

[​IMG]

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Aram Shelton's Fast Citizens – Two Cities (Delmark Records)
    — Aram Shelton: alto saxophone, clarinet; Keefe Jackson: tenor saxophone, bass clarinet; Josh Berman: cornet; Fred Lonberg-Holm: cello; Anton Hatwich: bass; Frank Rosaly: drums

[​IMG]

hyde park, Roger Thornhill and Lonson like this.
  20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Good morning, I hope everyone is doing well. I was curious if anybody has spent time with the following 2017 ECM releases. Looking for something new and have enjoyed previous titles by these artists on ECM.

I will cross post in the ECM thread but I know there are a few ECM fans here that also keep up with current releases.

The Vijay Iyer seems like a slam dunk based not he personal and reviews I have read.
    Thanks!

December Avenue - Tomasz Stanko

Far From Over - Vijay Iyer Sextet

The Invariant - Benedikt Jahnel

Gnosis - David Virelles

21. Lonson

Smooth funky jazz. . . Charles Williams "Stickball" Mainstream Records/P-Vine Records Japan

[​IMG]

Highlights are alto solos by Wiliams (he had a lovely tone) and tenor by Tina Brooks' brother Dave "Bubba" brooks, and some nice guitar solos (by Dave Spinoza I think, Cornell Dupree is also on the album but they sound like a big box jazz guitar, not a Telecaster).

Soulpope likes this.
  22. Lonson

Carmen McRae "Live and Doin' It" Mainstream Records/Solid Records Japan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tribute and Six String like this.
  23. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Listening to David Murray Octet - Home on Black Saint from 81 . A true masterpiece and a brillent band ( including Threadgill , McCall ) Equal parts Ellington and David Murray

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Carmen was such a great singer. I don 't want ordinary singers when it comes to jazz. I want someone with something special. Carmen had that special.

NP The Esoteric Circle (George Russell Presents) on Flying Dutchman
    This was Jan Garbarek's first group which included Terje Rypdal and the now well known Arild Anderson and Jon Christensen on bass and drums respectively. George Russell used them for a few recordings as well. N fact when I saw the cover I thought it was a GR album I didn't know about. Turns out he merely presented the band. It's a very good album though so I'm glad I picked it up.

Stu02, Roger Thornhill and Lonson like this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Miles Bootleg Series is still ongoing, but the next entry is already well known and mostly officially released concerts from the spring '60 tour with Coltrane. Sigh.