Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thank you.

My mother's two younger sisters were also unusual in their diverse musical tastes and record buying: everything from jazz, classical, folk, rock, blues, vintage country, soul, world music. We all got each other into an ever expanding world of music. They had the luck to see many legends of the 40's and 50's, sometimes in unusual settings (my aunt saw Nat Cole play and sing alone on stage for over a half hour in a rehearsal where she was the only audience). Maybe they got this because their parents played and sang at home in the days before television. I can still remember more than a dozen folk songs my mother sang to me when I was about 2-3 years old (after that, she was busy singing to my younger sisters)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Max Roach's presence in Amherst brought other jazz legends there. Archie Shepp moved there and so did Marion Brown. You could talk to them around town.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  2. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Listening for the first time in a while to Art Ensemble of Chicago's Les Stances a Sophie. I'm not even that big a fan of the AEOC in general (I have struggled with a lot of their music), but this is one of the best records ever, IMO. Everything works here.

Stu02 and Roger Thornhill like this.
  3. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

And it is a really great set!

Erik B. likes this.
  4. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

when you say great sounds, does it sound like a Music Matters ?

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish Roland Kirk had been able to get his hands on one of these.

dpb likes this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Just picked this one up recently in the el cheapo used bins and like you, like the Eleventh House material here the most. It's actually a much better collection overall than I thought it would be. My first Coryell purchase as well.

vanhooserd likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Don Friedman Trio - Moon River: New York Monologue (88's) BSCD2

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toninho Horta & Nicola Stilos "Duets" Adventure Music Records. Beautiful flute and classical guitar duets (with Horta vocals as well).

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I heard a cut from this album a couple of weeks ago on my favorite jazz radio show,
    New to me so I ordered it and got it yesterday,
    Wynton Kelly was one of the best, died at 39

[​IMG]

10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I like that album cover, any info on it?

11. Lonson

It's a painting by Reed Danziger, "Winter Field #3"

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was Playing - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (1962)

I know, a obvious choice but I haven't played it in over 7 years. From the Coltrane box of the first five Impluse albums.

[​IMG]

13. Lonson

"Late Date: A Tribute to Lars Gullin" Bernt Rosengren, Mirrors Records (Sweden)
    [​IMG]

Lovely! Any Gullin fan will enjoy.

14. Lonson

The Centenniary Edition of the record that Thelonious Monk recorded in Paris in '54. This also has live concert tracks added that I have never heard before. . . very cool.

[​IMG]

Jackie P likes this.
  15. Lonson

I held off long enough. . . I bought this Wes cd from Resonance.

Wes Montgomery "Smokin' in Seattle--Live at the Penthouse" on Resonance Records. Was surprised at how good the sound is.

[​IMG]

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thanks. If you have a chance to describe the bonus material, that would be great.

17. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I'm listening to that Wynton Kelly album I mentioned earlier and now see this one with Wes Montgomery, hopefully YouTube will have some samples looks interesting.
    I just recently learned that the album by Wes Montgomery recorded live in Vancouver was actually a Montgomery Brothers album originally, love their take on Jeannine

18. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

New member here, found some great recs following this thread, about time I contributed I guess.

Listened to this after it arrived in the post today. Love the track 'Oldfotalk' in particular.

The Muhal Richard Abrams Orchestra, Hearinga Suite (Black Saint, 1989)

[​IMG]

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A while back, I mentioned a Carmen McRae concert that I attended in 1980. Today I found a clipping of a review of that concert, and was reminded that in a three week period, Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan had also played in our area. But I didn't go to those shows. I must have been nuts. I suppose I was rationalizing back then that I had already seen both Sarah and Ella....and that my girlfriend at the time was not all that interested. She reluctantly went to see Carmen.

Perhaps we should reflect on the concerts we missed, and use our imagination to go back and be in the front row

peter1 and Stu02 like this.
  20. Lonson

It's trio. And surprisingly it's in EXCELLENT sound. The backing is not quite as good as the trio mates on Prestige, which in fact gives Monk a bigger spotlight and he fills it.

21. Lonson

There's slightly more Wynton Kelly Trio than Wes on this one, but that's not a bad thing. Sound is fantastic.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Are any dates given? European radio perhaps? Thank you for the tip.

23. Lonson

Sorry, I thought I had added a pic of the back cover that has this info as I did on other forums. The extra tracks recorded live at Salle Pleyel, Paris on June 1 & 3, 1954 with Monk's trio including Jean-Marie Ingrand(bass) & Jean-Louis Viale or Gerard "Dave" Pochonet(drums). It does not sound like a home recording made off a radio, it sounds like a well-recorded location recording.

DTK likes this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Finally found a copy of this ( in Brooklyn) last weekend that didn't beak the bank. The green label mid 70s version

Sound is really very good if not MM levels

My favourite Coltrane lp ( along with countless other fans no doubt).
    WP
    [​IMG]

Erik B., Carraway, Six String and 6 others like this.
  25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Saw Wayne Tucker combo at Smalls my favourite casual Jazz club in NYC last weekend
    Captures an updated 70s soul jazz sound
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for my poor photo. The baritone player beside him sounded lovely with the trumpet.
    A great pairing as Chet and Mulligan fans can attest to.
    Wayne has a lovely soft tender voice that channels Stevie Wonder ( maybe too closely at times)