Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thanks! I guess the tape source is unknown

Regarding radio recordings, unlike the Boris Rose archive in the US, I believe most European jazz radio broadcasts (at least those that survive) were preserved by the broadcasters (often a national radio station). If not for those saved broadcasts, much of the jazz legacy in Europe would be lost. Of those that circulate, I rarely see any information as to whether the tapes are "pre-broadcast" or "on-air" (as received). On air recordings, even those made at the broadcast station, will have a more limited frequency range.

I wonder if Monk's last two concerts (the 1976 Carnegie Hall concerts) were recorded.

DTK likes this.
  2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    [​IMG]
    Baritone sax at its finest. Hard to believe Serge would be gone in less then a year after this release
    Such a damn shame ..

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    John Beasley Presents Monkestra - Mack Avenue MAC

I saw this show at the Jazz Standard last weekend and quite enjoyed it.
    I was a little unsure how Monks music would sound coming from a large tightly knit orchestra . I thing of Monks music being personal and quirky and thus I thing if it best suited for smaller ensembles but the arrangements here really brought out the details inherent in the music in a way that made it fresh for me
    Worth catching

Carraway likes this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

All Judee Sill references get an automatic like....

Lonson likes this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I am so with you Chervokas I'm listening to this catching up on the comments on this thread. Such a great record

[​IMG]
    I'm hearing Monk in this. Maybe that Monkestra show has lodged itself into My brain

lschwart, chervokas, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Np
    The great Judee Sill
    Heart Food
    Orig press 1973
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would guess we may be the only two people on this thread with her music. I suggest both two CD sets covering her music

Do you know Judy Mayhan's Decca LP?

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I see that is a Japanese reissue. The USA original is scarce! Baritone players deserve more attention. Nick Brignola used to play every week around here for free. No cover, no minimum. And he played for about four hours.

Adolphe Sax started his invention of the sax at the low end, with a bass saxophone.

I am glad his name was not Smith.

Stu02 and Roger Thornhill like this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

There's at least three, I have her music.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I would even say much of the global or American jazz legacy would be lost without European and Japanese radio stations. Take Miles Davis; there are almost no full concert length American live recordings of any of his classic bands - quintet with Trane, 60s quintet...

11. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Can this go in here?

Great fun as Hoagland laconically sings his way through a whole bunch of his stuff with some top notch help from first rate musicians.

[​IMG]

Stu02 likes this.
  12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Actually Lonson referenced her earlier and that is what inspirered me to put heart food on the TT. I don't know anything about the Decca lp. Do tell..

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Judy Mayhan is a very talented singer-songwriter from the Dylan era ( a little older than Dylan). She only released 3 commercial LPs. The first, which she does not consider representative of her work, is the most common (Horizon label, also issued under different titles) where she uses a soprano voice, not her normal range. Unfortunately, both her second LP (on Atlantic label) and her third LP (on the Decca label) were both actually deleted from the catalog immediately on their release because in each case the record label was taken over in a corporate merger just before the release date and the new corporate owners cleaned house and deleted many LPs even if new. Judy had a non-commercial private 4th release on CD. She was a very close friend of Dave Van Ronk and Bob Dylan (Dylan invited her to his very first Columbia session so he would have someone to sing to besides his girlfriend). She is one of those great artists with a private archive of phenomenal recordings. Though pictured with guitars and banjos, piano is actually her primary instrument. In her post LP career, she was a jazz singer for a long period, though she continued to write songs and interpret folk songs and other singer-songwriters. She is now essentially retired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Stu02 likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Arne Domnerus, "Favorite Groups 1949-1950" Dragon Records

[​IMG]

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  16. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I replied to your private message, but in case anyone else was wondering, yes, this sounds great and is up to par with MM. It should, because it was done by Kevin Gray. The only difference here is the packaging. It's not a gatefold cover, and the jacket quality is not as good as MM. That said, considering that it is almost half the price, it's a great deal.

17. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

The baritone player is Jason Marshall. Hell of a guy and player. Here's a video I took from a few years ago with him in Roy Hargrove's band. He joins Tivon Pennicott's solo midway.

Stu02 likes this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Is it the same stampers as the MM? Too bad they didn't use a gatefold cover for a 2xLP.

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this , I was not familiar with him. Wayne did not utilize his abilities as much as he should have. There was a real synergy when they played off each other. IMHO

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Horace Silver Quintet - Doin' the Thing at the Village Gate

Found a very clean second pressing stereo w/Van Gelder stamps today. Listening now and it's fantastic.

johnnypaddock and vanhooserd like this.
  21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Listening to Mosaic's Lee Morgan Blue Note set all day. Great songs, great musicians.

[​IMG]

22. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

In case anyone wants a digital version, I noticed the Arista Braxtons are now available as downloads at 7digital. I assume the same mastering as the out-of-print Mosaic box.

Fantastic music:

jay.dee and Carraway like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I played it just the other day too. Like KOB I never tire of hearing it.

Stu02 and Erik B. like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Listened to that last night. It's loose and tight at the same time. o_O

Gabe Walters likes this.
  25. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Cool photo, in an artsy way, not poor at all!

I like Smalls as well; it reminds me of how jazz clubs used to be -- casual, relaxed, sit anywhere, stay as long as you like. A lot of the other places have become too commercial and mercenary in their management (e.g. the Vanguard, Blue Note). Don't really care for them even though they get the bigger established names.

Stu02 likes this.