Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Joe Henderson - Canyon Lady (Milestone)
    Following Yesternow's lead from earlier today.

bluemooze, bluejimbop and Yesternow like this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Amir ElSaffar/Rivers of Sound - Not Two
    Great Arabic infused jazz

Not Two, by Amir ElSaffar / Rivers of Sound

[​IMG]

Amir ElSaffar, trumpet/santur
    Carlo DeRosa, acoustic bass
    Craig Taborn, piano
    Dena ElSaffar, violin/jowza
    Fabrizio Cassol, alto saxophone
    George Ziadeh, oud/vocals
    Jason Adasiewicz, vibraphone
    JD Parran, bass saxophone/clarinet
    Miles Okazaki, guitar
    Mohammed Saleh, oboe/English horn
    Naseem AlAtrash, cello
    Nasheet Waits, drums
    Ole Mathisen, tenor saxophone/soprano saxophone
    Rajna Swaminathan, mridangam
    Tareq Abboushi, buzuq
    Tim Moore, percussion/dumbek/frame drum
    Zafer Tawil, percussion/oud

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

True, it’s a very versatile album in that way as I find that it works very well when I “unbottle” a new batch of wine. :agree:

Mark E. Moon and Chemguy like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Pete La Roca - Basra (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    Followed by
    Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    And now
    Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing

I'm getting my exercise tonight.
    And 3
    And 4

Stttttrrrrreeeeetttttcccchhhhhh.

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Listening to all the Trane albums that I posted earlier today had me in the mood to revisit some more of my first jazz albums.

Miles Davis - E.S.P. (MoFi SACD)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Aura and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  7. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

Thanks, scompton, for the audio clips — now, thanks to you and others on this blog, I have learned about 2 great British saxophonists - Shabaka Hutchings and Idris Rahman — that I would never have come across otherwise. So, is something going on in merry olde England?

Moko likes this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I almost posted that he seems like this year’s Shabaka Hutchings. Hutchings was on five albums that I know of last year, three as lead and two as a side man. Rahman is co-lead on theee that I know of. I’m listening to Wildflower for the first time right now. It’s less funky but still great.

There’s definitely something going on in England now. There’s a lot of young people playing very enjoyable jazz. There are a lot of clubs around too. The last few years, we’ve been in London for 4 or 5 days each year. Eventually I’ll manage to catch a show. I always seem to just miss them. The only UK jazz band I’ve seen recently is GoGo Penguin and that was here in DC.

Moko likes this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Still revisiting my first jazz recordings; I had a tough time picking something for the next listen so I decided to take the easy out and just pick the item I know I’ve had the longest among the contenders (Rosenwinkel, Mehldau, Chicago Underground, Mingus).

Joe Pass - Joy Spring (Pacific Jazz)

[​IMG]

10. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I think the bit about two minutes into Stella by Starlight when Davis hits an incredible note & someone in the audience cheers on the recording below might be the greatest thing of all time.

[​IMG]

11. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

$40 ?! ... Great deal. Nowadays I don't think you can find it under 100.

This is a real jazz thread, we're on call response mode here. One play's something and the answer from someone else is a similar album adding his personal tastes. Love it.

So yesterday I was playing Joe's Milestones records and read a post from Lonson about Jobim (again :)), that was a lead to this one - due to the "words" on the first track:
    Joe Henderson - Multiple, 1973
    [​IMG]

To end this Joe/Milestone theme I would like to point out this hidden pearl:
    Black Is the Color (Of My True Love's Mind)
    Contemplative "a la silent way".And the personnel on it...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This thread has become my "jazz" home on the internet and I'm so grateful for all who are participating and the way that the conversations ebb and flow. Happy holidays!

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I got my first MM33 LPs yesterday and gave Blue Train a concentrated listen. I love the album but last night I really noticed how good Lee Morgan is on this. 19 years old. Good grief I was flipping burgers at McDonald’s at 19. I usually don’t like jazz trombone but fuller’s solos are great too. I guess being in Coltrane’s presence stepped everyone’s game up.

peter1, Fender Relic, JeffMo and 3 others like this.
  14. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Driff is owned and operated, I believe, by Pandelis and Jorrit Djikstra, two of the finest 'local' musicians in the Boston area. I just saw both of them last night in Cambridge at The Lilypad with Jeb Bishop, trombone, Nate McBride, bass, and Luther Gray, drums. Driff has a nice catalogue of recordings available on CD with an instant download, or just download, on bandcamp. I also recommend Bathysphere, a large ensemble that includes both Jorrit and Pandelis.

Marzz and alankin1 like this.
  15. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

I can't get enough of this:

[​IMG]

My first Pascoal, where would one go next?

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Hampton Hawes Quartet – All Night Session, Vol. 1 (Contemporary Records / OJC)
    — With Jim Hall, Red Mitchell, Bruz Freeman

[​IMG]

17. Lonson

I haven't heard that one yet. IMO you can go anywhere and get quality, exploratory music.

If you can find this early one it's da bomb. I have it also on LP.

[​IMG]

I really like this one:

[​IMG]

And this one, "Ao Vivo"
    [​IMG]

And this one backing vocalist Aleuda:

[​IMG]

18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Great idea. I will happily join in.

A few more ideas. Best sideman session, best tune with trio, best solo performance, best piano solo, best piano intro, best live performance on youtube. umm.. best Polyester suit? :)

Six String and Yesternow like this.
  19. cacaaaaaaw

Thanks, looks like I have some listening to do! The '76 lost session has some incredibly tight group improv well worth checking out.

Lonson likes this.
  20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I have been on a bit of a Wes Montgomery binge since that live Paris RSD release came out.

WP: Smokin' at the Half Note
    [​IMG]

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've been on the same quest. I only have his work on Riverside so I have a skewed version of his career but it's what I like so I'm ok missing out on some of his other work. One album I'll recommend if you don't know it yet is on Milestone titled The Alternative Wes Montgomery which is basically alternate tracks taken from sessions he recorded on Riverside.
    It includes a full side of tracks from the Full House session and two tracks from Groove Yard that he made with his brothers. I have the two lp set and not sure it made it to cd.

I got the SACD of Smokin' At the Half Note during the BF RSD sale and I'm very pleased with the sound.

dzhason likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Breaking in yesterday’s acquisition:

John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays the Blues (Rhino, mono, 33)

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

Thanks for bringing that one up, I saw it recently but neglected to order it--that has been corrected.

24. cacaaaaaaw

Just finished listening to Slaves Mass and it was quite good....the ending of Star Trap :yikes:

Lonson likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Just gave my equipment a much needed wipe down:yikes:. Every time I do it I tell myself I’m going to start doing it once a week. Rinse. Repeat.

More break ins (not to be confused with breaking and entering):

John Coltrane & Don Cherry - The Avante-Garde (Rhino, mono, 33)

[​IMG]