Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Would anyone who understand German kindly let me know a summary of the speech? :help:

alankin1 likes this.
  3. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Living Time?

yeah, I like that one too - had it on tape for a long while before picking up a vinyl copy. Probably not as well known as other Russell recordings. I see it's only been out on CD in Japan which may have something to do with its relative obscurity.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot that part! Thanks. It's a wild ride for sure.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Had the time to sneak in one disc to listen to as Lucy prepares for our get together with my family for Xmas exchange so this one again. It's really lovely.

6. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Early Christmas gift to myself arrived today. Enjoying this set now....

[​IMG]

Thelonious Monk complete Prestige 10" collection.

7. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Six String, dzhason,

Funny that we, more or less, share the same taste for Pat’s work.

The other day I was posting on an ECM thread regarding: “Midwestern Nights Dream”, and said:
    “Not a big fan of Pat. But Bright Size Life is, if not my favorite, at least on the my top 3 ECM albums.”
    Watercolors, being the closest one to BSL, is the only I also listen to. Besides it has Eberhard Weber on it. I like his sound.

On that thread I was telling about an “ECM battle” I was having at my house: “Midwestern Nights Dream”: Bright Size Life (1976) vs Passengers (1977)

I never talk about ECM records here (although I guess Lonson wouldn’t mind) but you should check this one.
    You can feel that Pat was becoming too big to be part of Gary’s group. It has some great tracks, and the sound (ECM) is always nice.
    [​IMG]
    Gary Burton—vibraphone /Pat Metheny—electric guitar/Steve Swallow—electric bass/Eberhard Weber—bass/Dan Gottlieb—drums

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Re:pM It is mainly his Pat Metheny Group titles that I become bored with more than anything. He really has done a lot of different albums over his long career and I really respect the way he has balanced his career and played with so many great artists.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  9. Yesternow

In my search for Bill Evan's work as sideman found this:
    [​IMG]
    Never heard about this one. I'll try to listen to it tomorrow.
    But I bet some of you know this one. Any good?

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bill Evans is always superb. The first question about one of his sideman albums is how much soloing by Bill do you get. But of course, one short solo makes the album worthwhile.

Yesternow likes this.
  11. Lonson

You'll discover tomorrow that it's a very good album.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    MFSL One Step

And speaking of Vanguard, earlier I was spinning D’Angelo and the Vanguard, Black Messiah. Highly recommended for any readers of this thread who like Pino Palladino’s bass playing.

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oh yes. I only have a few things by him but that is one of them. I should dig it out and give it a spin. Maybe on the way to work tomorrow.

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bill Evans Trio - On A Monday Evening (Fantasy)
    I picked this up several months ago but really haven't given it enough time. I need to catch up.
    Tbh this isn't my favorite phase of Bill's career. His trios were weak imo.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Trio recorded March or April, 1946 in L.A. The CD is filled out with four Dexter Gordon tracks, his first as a leader, which also have Cole on piano. Recorded in 1943 or 1944 when Dexter was 20 or 21, they show him strongly under Lester's influence. Original recordings produced by Norman Granz. Researched, restored & remastered by Phil Schapp. Remastering engineer: Gary Mayo at PolyGram studios.

16. Yesternow

If one day I post one album that you've never heard of I hope they give me a trophy for that. :)

It was a pleasant listening. But I prefer my Evans a bit slower. But he was doing the job as it should be on that one.

Finally found where Keith Jarrett's got his "singing" from. :)

Six String and Lonson like this.
  17. Yesternow

Not the best season for head hunting, but was thinking about "vein melter" since yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    Always preferred "side B" of that album.

18. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Listening to Etcetera by Wayne Shorter this morning, incredible that it wasn't released at the time.

Barracudas is one of the best things he wrote to my ears.

Six String likes this.
  19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

It is a great album but he was recording so much they simply couldn't release all of it - 7 albums inside 3 years.

However, Barracudas was written by Gil Evans...

Mook likes this.
  20. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Didn't realise that, thanks for the info.

I'll need to check out the other versions.

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I didn’t have time to listen to the full album yesterday, but I gave a brief listen to part of the opening track and “Midsummer...”; what I heard, I really liked and I think the Midsummer here can probably give the BSL version a run for its money (I find vibes to be the bacon of the music world... just add a little vibes and it makes everything better). I think that @Six String is probably right in that the recordings I remember having an aversion to were most likely Pat Metheny Group recordings, he described them as “Muzak”-y and I remember feeling like the band sound on these recordings too closely resembled elevator music for my comfort. However, Pat’s musicianship and guitar playing is stellar and, as I said before, put him in a different setting and I enjoy it very much (e.g. the Metheny/Mehldau recordings and Logan Richardson’s Shift are a few recordings with Pat that I really enjoy, and I also recall liking Beyond the Missouri Sky with Charlie Haden when I heard it once a long while ago. I’ll check this Burton recording out more and the other recordings Six suggested when I have more time.

Yesternow likes this.
  22. Lonson

Ruby Braff "You're Getting to be a Habit with Me" Stereo Craft Records/Fresh Sound Records
    CD

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

John SurmanWestering Home (FMR Records / Island)
    — John Surman – bass clarinet, euphonium, organ, percussion, piano, baritone sax, soprano sax, trumpet

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Stu02, lschwart and 3 others like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Local store had 50% off jazz! Found an early 70's impulse, my first vintage RVG of this impulse/blue note era!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What an all star lineup! Pretty quiet clean copy after doing my cleaning process. Amazed at how much air is in the soundstage and great dynamics!

25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Great record! I had a mono original but sold it here after preferring the stereo reissue on AP, which came as a surprise to me.