Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Filles is the first Miles album I heard, when I borrowed it from the library in Burton, Ohio in '72. It's very familiar to me as a result, and it really over time shows itself to be a true transitional album, standing in its own little universe, not unrelated to other albums but not wholly like any other Miles album, at least to me. It should reward repeated listening.

2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

True, it really sits nicely in between Miles in the Sky and In A Silent Way; even with the presence of "Stuff" on MitS, a progression directly from MitS to IaSW may have ended up feeling to sudden. Although, I think I would cope with such a transition just fine, nevertheless, it really is better for us all to have more great music from this exciting time period to listen to and enjoy.

3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I played this for a friend in the car many years ago who was a drummer, he wasn't familiar with Tony Williams before but sure was afterwards. Having someone new to it and focus on just the drumming made me go back to all of the quintet recordings and sometimes I will only focus on Tony, Ron or Herbie and how they pull and change the music or set a foundation for the horns to play over. I still manage to hear something new or mind-blowing after all these years.

Yesternow, Gabe Walters and Lonson like this.
  4. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

5. Lonson

[​IMG]

Adriana Calcanhoto "Maritimo"

bluemooze likes this.
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Kind of Blue is way cooler in sound, but Sketches of Spain is a highly emotional record full of passion and it moves me deeply every time I find time to listen to it.

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bill Friselleast / west — CD 2, east (Nonesuch/Elektra 79863)
    — Bill Frisell (electric & acoustic guitars, loops), Tony Scherr (bass, acoustic guitar), Kenny Wollesen (drums, percussion); recorded live at The Village Vanguard, NYC
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer, jay.dee, markp and 5 others like this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Blue Serge" performed by Serge Chaloff (sax), Sonny Clark (piano), Joe Jones (drums) and Leroy Vinnegar (bass) on Capitol.

[​IMG]

9. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Same here. Fortunately, the Missus is very tolerant, but when I want to play something like Albert Ayler I have to wait for a time when I‘m home alone. Then again, I guess NOBODY wants to listen to Spiritual Jazz from the neighboring room...

NP: King Crimson - In the Court of the CK Steven Wilson Remix

bluemooze and dzhason like this.
  10. Postercowboy

Regardless of our ethical or religious views, I assume that this is a prayer we can all agree on here.

11. Lonson

Yeah, I'm not anticipating that A Love Supreme offends anyone here!

12. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Streaming this right now from Tidal.

Dig Lulu’s back in town .[​IMG]

13. Postercowboy

Just finished playing it from BR-A. What a trip this still is, every time.

Now enough religion for the day, and off to watching another episode of AMERICAN GODS.

14. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Forum Resident

And, I believe, Miles' favorite album from that period.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's truly an effort to be proud of :)

16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark (HDCD)

[​IMG]

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk4/8 (Quartet/Octet) — Live In Rotterdam, Holland 1967 (Get Back / Abraxis)
    — Charlie Rouse (tenor saxophone), Larry Gales (bass), Ben Riley (drums) + Ray Copeland (trumpet), Clark Terry (flugelhorn), Jimmy Cleveland (trombone), Phil Woods (alto saxophone), Johnny Griffin (tenor saxophone); mislabeled - actually quartet / octet / nonet; four tracks.

[​IMG]

18. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

After listening to Monk I had to slow it down a bit.[​IMG]

19. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Very nicely said , it is so important to stay positive and of course I am sure that is why we all turn to the music for so much strength
    I always appreciate and understand your references to your aging parents , so so hard to see them grow old ...
    In terms of Gratitude listen to the wonderful Don Pullen’s song called “Gratitude” - one of my favorites and it says so much

Lonson likes this.
  20. Lonson

[​IMG]

"Canto do Rio" Jose Santos Neto Quintet.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

If I worked at Columbia records at the end of 1968 I would say to Miles:
    "Go for the double album!!"
    Show the directions in music:
    Start with the acoustic second quintet, end with the new band with electric instruments.

Side A: (side1 of water babies)
    Water Babies
    Capricorn
    Sweet Pea​
    Side B: (from Filles in chronological order)
    Petits Machins (Little Stuff)
    Tout de Suite
    Filles de Kilimanjaro​
    Side C: (from Filles in chronological order)
    Mademoiselle Mabry (Miss Mabry)
    Frelon Brun (Brown Hornet)​
    Side D (side2 of water babies)
    Two Faced
    Dual Mr. Anthony ... Process
    And he would be right by answering:
    Yeah, F#*k o*f !

22. Lonson

Yeah, we're lucky we got sides A and D later.

23. Lonson

Freddie Hubbard "The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard" Impulse! Analogue Productions SACD

[​IMG]

24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I get that and I love Miles as much as the next guy but I find it distressing that for most casual listeners of Jazz or even for non listeners of Jazz I keep n coming across references stating he is the only one these types of people listen too. Just the other day a record store owner was talking on the radioi about how he sells 8 jazz records of Miles to every 1 record of all other jazz artists combined. That’s seriously annoying to me. I realize no one in this thread is in that listener category and I am off way off topic from your post but it reminded me of this pet peeve I have.

Ok I will stop ranting and calm down now.....

I mean I Get that a lot of his music is easy on the ears , especially with the muted songs but there are an awful lot of great mellow jazz records out there. I also get he is really a household name but I always feel it warps the entire jazz genre that he shines so overly brightly.

Of course the rant above does not diminish his greatness ☝️

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Classic: Live at Newport" performed by the Joe Lovano Quartet featuring Hank Jones with George Mraz and Lewis Nash on Blue Note.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]