Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

....and I don't have any...:sigh:

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

This morning I'm doing my stretches upstairs where it's toasty warm. It's a bit chilly downstairs with the -0 temps and all. Wanted something swinging to get me moving so I put on an old OG green label Capitol of The Serge Chaloff Sextet-Boston Blow-up!
    It's working out fine, good stuff from April 4,5 1955

On deck...Wynton Kelly Trio/Wes Montgomery-Smokin' At The Half Note...AP 45 Verve V6-8633 RI

rxcory, peter1, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  3. Engels

Engels Member

I'm listening to Phronesis latest which is available as a 24bit/96k download here and sounds great

johnnypaddock likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Julie London - Julie is Her Name, Vol. 2

[​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Byard plays tenor sax, vibes, drums and keyboards on Freedom Together! (Prestige) although Alan Dawson plays drums also and he's the primary drummer on the album. So not alto sax but close.

Marzz and fastskillfulinjured like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ve always loved the tune “Little White Lies” due to this next album and Julie London’s version got me in the mood to hear it again.

Kurt Rosenwinkel - East Coast Love Affair

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Stu02 and Starwanderer like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Will do.

Helen Merrill

[​IMG]

rxcory, AaronW, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

That one is my favourite. On the ballads she sings in such an ice cold way that the songs can feel incredibly modern but so sad and bittersweet. She has such command of her singing a slight inflection in her voice can send a blade through your heart . Not to mention a trumpet player by the name of Clifford Brown playing alongside. The space they leave each other and the interplay between them is just wondrous...some of Clifford’s best work IMHO

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, Clifford Brown’s name was the selling point on choosing this one first.

Stu02 likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

At least you are lucky that all of Lester's recordings can be ordered at any time (with a credit card!). When I started, most of Lester's recordings were rare and the age of vinyl reissues had not yet started. It took very serious hunting, even in NYC, to find any at all in any condition.Of course there were a few stores in NYC that sold most any LP for $50, back when that was my monthly rent.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many singers do not settle into or discover their own unique style for a few years. Often, they have established their personal style before their first solo recordings. I sometimes wonder what Helen Merrill's earliest singing performances (as an adult) might have sounded like. Did she ever do a soft and sultry approach? Did she ever do a blues/R&B approach? Some singers have shared stories of their earliest styles with me or even listening to tapes/transcriptions. It can amaze you about the differences in their earliest voice.

Stu02 likes this.
  12. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Found a new Music On Vinyl 180 gram copy in Tampa yesterday. Digging in now...

[​IMG]

13. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Had a sh#t# weekend. So just grabbed my headphones and this cornerstone in my collection. Just what I need right now:
    [​IMG]
    Such an important baseline for me that I need to upgrade my version:
    Original Jazz Classics CD, Riverside, 1990.

14. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

I bought several lp’s this weekend. $1-4 each. A few were in generic white jackets as the originals jackets were missing, hence the price. After a cleaning in my ultrasonic cleaner I gave this one a listen. The great Teddy Charles. Fantastic shape also.

[​IMG]

rxcory, Starwanderer, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  15. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Another purchase this weekend, same store I bought the Teddy Charles recording. This did have a jacket however it was a OJC jacket. Very surprised that it contained a original stereo pressing. Eric Dolphy ,flute,bass clarinet. Booker Little trumpet, Mel Waldron piano, Richard Davis bass, Ed Blackwell drums.[​IMG]

rxcory, AaronW, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Teddy Charles was the uncle of one of my very best friends. He was an intriguing man. He spent his later years more interested in sailing boats, as the jazz world seemed intent on ignoring him.

Joe F likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Great! Are there many solos by Lars Gullin on this set?

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, most everyone solos on every track.

19. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Nice story. I knew sailing was a big part of his life. Did you have a chance to meet him?

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Once by telephone only. He spent much of his time sailing a boat when I was close to his nephew (still a good friend). His nephew was my jazz mentor when I was a teenager.

21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

It's Sunday and I am ready for my Sermon.

NP: Jimmy Smith - The Sermon!

[​IMG]

Love the version of Lover Man on here also.

22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

That might be my favorite Vince Guaraldi album which is saying something.

Scope J likes this.
  23. Enjoying my morning coffee with some Booker Ervin. 'In your face' reproduction on this Japanese cd release.
    He 's joined by fellow Mingus alumni, Parlan, Richmond and Williams. Williams always had a lovely full-bodied sound on his trumpet.

[​IMG]
    Booker Ervin Quintet - Cookin' (1960) Denon Japan 'H2' remastering COCB-50600

24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter - Native Dancer (Blue Spec CD 2)

[​IMG]

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

This is the only album I have by Merrill but it's a good one. Tbh I bought it for the other musicians on the album though I do like her voice.

NP Miroslav Vitous - Mountain In The Clouds (Atlantic) red/green label
    I forget the name of the original release of this album but this is one of my favorite "electric" jazz albums. I say electric because of the keyboards and John McLaughlin's electric guitar not to mention the energy level. I need to pull out that Merrill album and give it a spin soon. It's been a while.

bluemooze, dzhason, Stu02 and 3 others like this.