Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Is it a crime to like this album? No one else seems to. If it's a crime I'm guilty.
    The Blu-Spec CD2 sounds great. . . better than my LP copy.

[​IMG]

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

If Bobo Stenson was on it I would have bought it a long time ago!

Lonson likes this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's the only Doors album I've never owned besides the two w/o Morrison. Even back in the day it never got much attention from me or my friends. Touch Me sounds like it should have been on a Gary Pucket and the Union Gap album.
    :)

Electric likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've never heard anything on this one, at least not knowingly.

5. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Yes me as well , ECM has a new Bobo Stenson disc just released !!
    I have it ordered ....still waiting

Six String likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Back in the day Soft Parade used to be my favorite of theirs (there goes that genetic defect rearing it’s ugly head again ;)), now I’d probably slot Morrison Hotel there if I had to choose one.

7. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Is this the record with Stevie Ray Vaughan on ? Seem to remember that it has a pretty processed sound , and or a odd drum sound ?

8. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Any Christmas songs on this one? If not, it can‘t be all bad.

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Got this record when it came out a couple of years ago but never really found my way into it. Really loving it this afternoon. And Tyshawn Sorey is just one monster of a drummer. I know he's quite the multi-instrumentalist and composer and academic, but just flat out as a drummer on other people's stuff he's always great.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Starwanderer and Six String like this.
  10. Postercowboy

I remember this well from the early 80s. It‘s a mixed bag, but has a good number of more than decent songs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident

Absolutely not, I would also be guilty as charged, it has one of my absolute favourite songs on it....Born in time...

12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

The music police should be at your door any moment ;)

I took this CD, disc player, and headphones on a Little League bus trip to Three Rivers Stadium to see a Pirates/Cardinals game. I think I'd have enjoyed the annoying LL parents and noisy kids more than this weak Dylan offering. I gave it away ASAP.

Craig's Story likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for that intel. I didn't know there was a new one.

Edit:ordered!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  14. Postercowboy

In the mood for something nice and quiet:

Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Black Earth

[​IMG]

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Obviously not near his best and a disappointment at the time following the heels of Oh Mercy, but I still like it quite a lot. It makes more sense if one knows that a lot of these songs were written with his young daughter in mind. I don't think he ever quite nailed down a definitive version of Born in Time, but it's a great song, and I like the title track and God Knows a lot as well.

Lonson likes this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My (CDJapan) ship has come in! My first spin is an album I've been trying to acquire since I heard it on a jazz blog back in the early part of this century. I d/l a 320 MP3 and have lived with it since then. It's been OOP for quite some time.

Deodato - Os Catedraticos 73 (Bomba)

What I liked about this album right away was the heavy use of organ, something I'm not used to hearing with Brazilian music. Maybe I haven't heard enough but in my years of dabbling in the genre I've never heard an album quite like this one. I'm stoked to finally have an official cd. :shh:

I also got a couple of Junko Onishi cds I didn't know, a Red Garland title I didn't have and Jazz Men:Detroit from Savoy with Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers, Pepper Adams and Kenny Clarke. An exciting collection of discs to sit back and enjoy this afternoon/evening.

17. Lonson

I like those tracks too. And darn it. . . I really like Wiggle, Wiggle!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not sure if I can go quite that far. Have you heard the version of that one by Aaron Freeman (of Ween) and Slash?

19. Lonson

Yes, I like that "Dylan in the 'Eighties" cd.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Built to Spill and Craig Finn tracks are probably my favorites, but a good listen overall, and an interesting concept.

Lonson likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jazz Men: Detroit (Savoy) UHQCD from Japan
    As mentioned up thread and one I can't remember ever seeing before. With all the great musicians on it, how bad could it be?

Kenny Burrell
    Tommy Flanagan
    Pepper Adams
    Paul Chambers
    Kenny Clarke

Bobby Buckshot and vanhooserd like this.
  22. I don't mind 'Touch Me', it would have been da bomb if it had been written for the debut album, but with Jimbo putting on the pounds by the time Soft Parade came out it seems more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. I like that they were trying horns and strings by this time, I don't think there was much mileage left sticking with the original sound. Soft Parade gets a fair amount of stick but I've always enjoyed it.

rxcory and dzhason like this.
  23. Lonson

That's a good one. It's been out on cd about three times from Japan, I have the first version from the Savoy series by Denon. I bought nearly every one of those cds as they came out. . . first just from Japan and then US Denon put them out, which were better priced!

The ringer in this one is Klook, who wasn't associated with Detroit, but he was THE house drummer for Savoy at the time (I believe he kept a drum kit at Rudy's) and I love what he did in the 'fifties. . . he was a real influence on my own drumming.

Marzz and bluejimbop like this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Speaking of ships coming in, my Music Matters ship arrived earlier today with two items mentioned this week, Shades of Red and Song for My Father. I didn’t have time to really dig in to them before we headed down to Philly but I did get a chance to check out “Song for My Father” (the title track) and listen for the Plangent Process fixery, sounded like it did a pretty bang up job, although I do think I heard maybe a spot or two with a little warble somewhere further into the track; but I feel like I need to give a closer listen in a quieter environment to be sure that I didn’t just imagine it.

...and while on the way down to Philly, had to break out Soft Parade. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, but it does seem like like of an oddball than it did when I was a teen. The only track I remember being less than completely enthused about back in the day was “Runnin’ Blue”, probably mostly due to the leprechaun hoedown chorus (turned out it was just Robby Krieger singing and not an actual leprechaun), but I liked it more now than I did back then. Conversely, I didn’t quite get into the title track as much as I recall having been in the past, mostly due to the outro section, I still liked all the weird little vignettes leading up to it.

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Ya got somethin' against GP & TUG? :)

Six String likes this.