Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Lennie Tristano" on Atlantic.

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is one of those nice little legends that people enjoy believing, even when they know it is not true that such an event, if it actually occurred, started Louis on scat singing.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That's a great one. Ronnie anchored Sun Ra's band for so long with his unique bass mind, and this album is wonderful.

brendans likes this.
  4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I assume this is a questionable grey market:
    https://www.amazon.com/1958-Miles-6...TF8&qid=1516466596&sr=1-2&keywords=1958+miles

5. Lonson

Electric likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Charlie Haden & Gonzalo Rubalcaba - Tokyo Adagio (Impulse) cd
    An easy one to slip into conciousness or unconsciousness depending on your needs.

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Lloyd Miller/The Heliocentrics (OST)

[​IMG]

8. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I love it when he sings, no voice quite like it.

[​IMG]

Fender Relic and bluemooze like this.
  9. Lonson

You mean it doesn't sound like geese farts on a muggy day? :D (That's a quote from Leo about his singing if one doesn't know)

dzhason likes this.
  10. Lonson

Sounding beautiful with the Taboo Mk IV powering the HR-1s. Great music.

Rosa Passos "Canta Jobim--40 Annos de Bossa Nova"

[​IMG]

bluejimbop and Six String like this.
  11. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Actually it does. Besides I have a duck pond on the backside of
    my abode so Leo is right at home here. lol

Lonson likes this.
  12. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was eyeballing one of their headphone amps yesterday for bed side listening, but I think I’d have to go with something more compact that I could stash in the drawer when not in use, of course then I’d need some sort of compact CD player to go along with it. I’ve never had the chance to listen to any of their stuff but it is quite beautiful gear.

Lonson likes this.
  14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Horace Parlan - Us 3 (Blue Note) French pressing from 1983.

I should have bought a MM reissue of this album but back then I was buying stuff I didn't own already so it was always an idea but never happened. The sound isn't bad at all but........

16. Lonson

Yeah, I must like it as I have six of their amps currently, I'm a glutton for their sort of punishment!(One of these days I have to start selling some, it's so hard to part with them!) I will say this: the Taboo Mk III or Mk IV (I have one of each) is an excellent amp for headphones, I've heard nothing else as good for the price, and with the right speakers can also be a great heartbeat for a full system. They're surprising me today. . their four or five watts are giving me most of what I get from my twenty-five watt Torii amplifier.

I'm managing their Facebook page now and there are some exciting times ahead later this year; Steve Deckert is planning a few 25th anniversary releases with some new innovations to his original designs that reportedly spark a big move forward with sound quality. I'm eager to see what comes about in the 2 to 6 watt area of the line up.

dzhason likes this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Chicago Underground Duo - Synesthesia (cd)

[​IMG]

18. Lonson

Grant Green "Gooden's Corner" Blue Note SHM-CD

[​IMG]

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Detroit Jazz Men (Savoy) UHQCD
    I'm giving this another spin today. The sound is really good and the playing top notch. While it doesn't break any new ground it is solid as they come for modern jazz. Nice to here Pepper Adam's bari with Kenny Burrell's guitar.

20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

This generated a lot of buzz on the music matters thread. He seems to have an endless supply of quality recordings whether as sideman or frontman.

21. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

I have this one and a few others. My favorite is "My Favorite Songs - The Last Great Concert (Vol 1 and 2) " It was recorded just 2 weeks before his death in 1988. His chops remained great, the song selection is excellent, he had both a big band and an orchestra on hand that night, and it was pretty well recorded. I recommend it!

Six String and Electric like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Junko Onishi - Very Special (Somethin' Cool) Japanese cd

Ms Onishi explores jazz beyond her usual trio setting, at least on a few tracks that include guitar or a few reeds. She plays a Fender Rhodes on a couple of tracks and she invites Jose James to sing on two tracks. The album is still dominated by her trio format and that is fine by me. It's too early for me to have an opinion about the album as this is my first spin and it isn't over but I do like it and like all of her cds, the sound is fantastic.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I love the sound of the Chet SACD. I can't imagine a CD sounding better than it.

24. Lonson

Thomas Marriott "Both Sides of the Fence"
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Carraway like this.
  25. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Guys, this is it.
    There are amazing jazz records but this is much more than that. This is a time travel - you are there, at the club, enjoying the performance.
    [​IMG]
    Those voices on the background, the noises, the first track interrupted like they describe... All these imperfections make it perfect.

The notes from Orrin keepnews, the recording sheets, the photos from the guys having some drinks and relaxing...
    This is a perfect box set.
    [​IMG]
    I understand all of those who knew the original records. But once I had this complete performance I never played them again.

This is by far the best sounding piece of music I own - recorded in 1961... under those conditions. Man, this was truly made in heaven.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for making this post too personal. But this set really means a lot to me.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    rxcory, Ellsworth, bluemooze and 17 others like this.