Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kfan

kfan Forum Resident

Bill Evans Half Moon Bay

[​IMG]

Bill Evans recorded live at The Bach Dancing and Dynamite Society, Half Moon Bay, CA (11/4/73)
    Bill Evans - Piano
    Eddie Gomez - Bass
    Marty Morell - Drums

I picked this one up because I live close to Half Moon Bay and found it interesting that Evans played there. It is a nice addition to my collection. Evans playing is well executed if not as subtle as his earlier recordings. Gomez is featured on many songs and does great work, nobody can top Lafaro. Morell does nice work but Jack DeJohnette is one of my favorites. Overall, I'm happy I bought this one and the liner notes that discuss Pete Douglas, the purveyor of the seaside jazz establishment, are charming.

bluemooze, xybert, bluejimbop and 3 others like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Hank Mobley - Another Work Out (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    My favorite period of Mobley is the 60s. He seemed to really hit his stride.

bluemooze, xybert, Carraway and 3 others like this.
  3. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I'm a simple guy. Fresh made coffee some milk, toasts, butter... Some minutes alone in my kitchen before the kids and wife start making noise:)...
    [​IMG]
    The sun is finally shinning outside and I've got a gentle Fender Rhodes sound on the background. Bill has joined me for Sunday breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    I love his playing so much that even a low ranked album like this one sounds good to me.

First track: "What are you doing for the rest of your life?"
    I feel like answering:
    "Sunday breakfast and Bill Evans".

4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I live on a duck pond, but there are all shapes and sizes of these interesting
    birds. The coolest part is the airborne landing on the water, sometimes
    15-20 at a time, mallards, geese, etc. early in the morning. The funnest part
    is sitting on the back with company figuring out whether the up periscope
    shot of the head is a comorant (the flasher), a turtle or a snake. The loser
    fixes the next round of cocktails. The turtles had their day in the sun recently,
    laying around, must have been over 2o of them airing out their armor.
    The cats dig the birds too, maybe a little too much... fortunately from
    behind the glass. lol

Great Sunday tuneage on this fine day full of possibilities, mainly oysters.
    But for now some Miles...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    JeffMo, bluemooze, kfan and 8 others like this.
  5. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

If Heaven has a Sunday breakfast buffet, he's playing the piano in the corner.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I live directly across a narrow road from a huge state nature preserve. Lots of birds, though fewer here in the winter time. Woodpeckers have come back though, that's a good sign. And "our owl" (an owl that seems to nest directly across from our house and who is seen often enough on our property) has been very vocal lately, hooting at twilight and dawn most noticeably. And I saw a snow owl in the distance a few weeks ago.

JeffMo, bluemooze, markp and 4 others like this.
  7. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Starting off Sunday with a little Duke. This and the Monk are the first time I've listened to this series and label, and I'm impressed. Our host is listed on the sticker for "Sound and engineering consultation," by the way.

[​IMG]

8. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've never seen a snow owl in person before. That would be cool.

@Jim Walker I am jealous of your pond. That would be fantastic. With a body of water you'll always have birds. They may eat different things so trying to attract birds with food takes some study but they all need water. I agree about watching water fowl landing on the water. One of my guilty pleasures at the Preserve. My favorite is sitting on a bench neat the water and watching the Sandhill Cranes land. They sleep standing in shallow water so they can hear anything trying to sneak up on them. They are so big though that they take their time circling a spot a little while before coming to a landing. Once you know where they sleep it's a matter of getting there ahead of them a little and sitting still and waiting for them to come in from where ever they've been eating. The cranes will be leaving in a few weeks to head back north for the summer.

NP Bobo Stenson - Contra la indecisión (ECM)

JeffMo and bluemooze like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is the club still active? I went there once in the late 90s but it's not close enough to me to make it a regular haunt. I liked the relaxed atmosphere there. It doesn't feel like a club and that's meant as a compliment.

11. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Haven't played this LP in awhile. Listening now. James Williams - Alter Ego

[​IMG]

bluemooze and markp like this.
  12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

NP: Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz (Blu-ray audio)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd, kfan and 7 others like this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I haven't always loved all of Vijay Iyer's albums but three years later I'm still coming back to this one and loving it.

[​IMG]

14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Found this one in a friend's collection. Recorded at Ronnie Scott's 1971 with French musicians Eddy Louiss and Rene Thomas.

Soulpope and xybert like this.
  15. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I scored this today at one of my local used shops. The jacket looks great except for a drill hole and a little rip. The vinyl looks plays and looks VG+. $2.

Johnny Hodges - Blue Notes (1966)
    Original US black label US mono pressing on Verve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, kfan, xybert and 3 others like this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Miles - Four & More (Columbia) cd reissue from about ten years ago.

This one got me down the road to the market and back but only heard about half so I brought it in and continued the performance.

JeffMo, bluemooze, xybert and 2 others like this.
  17. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Yep. Now run by his surviving family members a/o, if I recall correctly. We're headed down there to see Dr. Lonnie next week. Beautiful location.

Six String likes this.
  18. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Andrew Hill- Judgment! (MM 45)
    [​IMG]
    Did a little spring maintenance on my TT today. Polished the aluminum platter;
    cleaned and lubed the bearing; and confirmed the setup. All is good although
    it's about time for a new stylus for my 2M Black.

19. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Had that version of Red Clay as part of a "Mainstream" compilation. That label has always been a mystery. I've been searching for some albums for a long time.
    Finally got the news that the CDs will be reissued in Japan next March.

The Red Clay version is awesome, as for the rest of the album (which I had to check online)... Well, what to expect when you choose tracks like "Windows", "Pinocchio", "Naima"...
    If you like guitar trio works this is one to check.

PS: if you have any of these mainstream reissues please let us know how it sounds.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I haven't heard that one. I have at least thirty of the recent reissues of Mainstream from Solid Records Japan. For the most part in my opinion they sound very good. A few are from needledrops and as a result don't sound as good as others. Some like the Carmen McRae titles sound excellent.

Yesternow likes this.
  21. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

NP: Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop AP Blue Note SACD

A first time listen, part of my Black Friday bulk order last year.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd, xybert and 4 others like this.
  22. Postercowboy

More Blue Note...

Herbie Hancock - Empyrian Isles / Maiden Voyage Blu-Ray Audio

[​IMG]

23. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I'm cooking some carnitas today (actually been cooking since early this morning). Any suggestions on mood music for Mexican food?!

In the meantime, and utterly unrelated:

[​IMG]

JeffMo, Jim Walker, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  24. Postercowboy

Nothing goes better with Mexican food than

Charlie Mingus - Tijuana Moods

[​IMG]

25. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

BOOM! Thank you, @Postercowboy! Queued!

Really enjoyed this one today too:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.