Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I admit I have to be in the mood for Bitches Brew -I like the album, and appreciate it's place in music history, of course, plus how the title track makes one helluva lullaby for my four year old- but I'll always have a soft spot for "Pharaoh's Dance". What's not to like about a song where the first three minutes or so are a thirty second tape loop pieced together in such a way that you don't even notice at first that it's a loop? Pure genius, though I can never decide to credit Miles or Teo Macero for it...

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Just good clean fun.

Stu02 likes this.
  3. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

We moved a year ago to Southern California, and our back yard is next to an 80 acre bird/wildlife preserve owned by the local colleges. So many birds passing by this time of year, including some ducks who visit our pool. My wife and I go out back and sit in chairs and listen to all the birds talking to each other. It's a kind of music, and a great way to end the day.

JeffMo, Jim Walker, charlesp and 6 others like this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now playing "Moving Out."

[​IMG]

Sonny Rollins – tenor saxophone
    Kenny Dorham – trumpet - except More Than You Know
    Elmo Hope – piano
    Percy Heath – bass
    Art Blakey – drums
    Thelonious Monk – piano on "More Than You Know"
    Tommy Potter – bass on "More Than You Know"
    Art Taylor – drums on "More Than You Know"

"Moving Out"
    "Swingin' for Bumsy"
    "Silk 'n' Satin"
    "Solid"
    "More Than You Know"

5. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

See some folks here ridding a jazz-guitar wave. This is one to check:
    [​IMG]
    Found the early 70s Sharrock albums impossible to like - too extreme for my taste.
    But this early 90s CD, with Pharoah Sanders and Elvin Jones, I come back to with pleasure.

Funny how this happens a lot of times, like someone told him it was going to be his last album: he puts all his heart and soul into it.

Noisefreq1, bluemooze, markp and 10 others like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think it is just great that Lester Young is the only jazz musician honored with a national holiday. Pull out your Pres recordings today, and if you don't have any, check this out

JazzWax

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hank Mobley I’ve always enjoyed most on other people’s sessions and haven’t gotten as much into his own sessions. I decided to confront that head on and ordered his 50s session set from Mosaic and am warming up my Mobley receptors by streaming his first BN album:

Hank Mobley Quartet

[​IMG]

bluemooze, markp, Doggiedogma and 5 others like this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hank Mobley - Hank

[​IMG]

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now I’m properly psyched up for that Mobley Mosaic set. The last two albums I streamed weren’t individually available on Apple Music, they were listed on a release called “Capitol Vaults Jazz Series”. The tracks and number of discs on this look to be the same as the Mosaic set. Seemed a little strange to me as I did not realize that Blue Note was ever affiliated with Capitol, which prompted me to check out the BN wikipedia page where I learned that this is indeed the case.

bluemooze and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Everyone is always praising Ahmad Jamal of who I don’t believe I have a single recording. I was looking at his Mosaic set and decided to hold off on ordering it for a while since it wasn’t listed as an endangered species on Mosaic’s site. I see that Apple Music has his Mosaic set available, so now I’m checking that out.

The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions 1956-62
    [​IMG]

@pitro Based on the first few tracks I’ve heard so far I’d say you’d be doing yourself a solid on getting this one.

Moebius, bluemooze, markp and 7 others like this.
  11. This couple dropped by for breakfast recently.
    [​IMG]

hkm3, JeffMo, bluemooze and 11 others like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

these birds were spotted inside my house today

[​IMG]

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Beautiful photo! They look so regal in their winter wonderland.

NP Paul Desmond Qt. Live (A&M/Horizon)

Stayed up late last night listening to music so I wokeup later than my usual. Teacup in hand and Desmond on the TT.

bluemooze, Mark E. Moon. and Stu02 like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Dave Douglas & Uri Caine - Present Joys (Greenleaf)

NP Kenny Drew Trio - Pal Joey (Riverside) black stereo label

Present Joys is a duo album.

bluemooze, xybert and Starwanderer like this.
  15. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Donald Byrd "Byrd In Flight"
    Never heard this one before, very nice.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Cedar Walton Trio - Iron Clad (Monarch)
    Live at Yoshi's in Oakland, CA

I was at one of the performances from that week's run but not this particular night (Saturday).

bluemooze, xybert and Starwanderer like this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The most recent record from Mark Helias, Tony Malaby and Tom Rainey's Open Loose trio, from 2015, is not only on of the great jazz records of recent years but also is a great sounding recording. Props to Michael Brorby and Acoustic Recording in Brooklyn for making such an open, present recording with instruments in great scale in what looks like such a tight space.

[​IMG]

18. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Julius Hemphill- Dogon A.D. (2011 Arista Freedom reissue)
    [​IMG]
    If Julius Hemphill never did anything else his influence
    would still be quite large. Such a unique album. Still sounds
    totally fresh even today.

19. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

This set is an abundance of riches. Not to be missed!

Six String likes this.
  20. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Listening now via Spotify. I haven't kept up with Malaby these last few years, i'm adding this to my list of recent-ish Intakt releases that i need to pick up at some point (funnily enough, among others also trios from Ellery Eskelin and Chris Speed).

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Randy Weston - The Spirits Of Our Ancestors (Antilles)
    from 1991, a real tour de force from musicians and arranger Melba Liston. Dizzy Pharoah, Billy Harper, Dewey Redman and many more were gathered to help Weston and Liston achieve their goals of remembering their ancestors. They succeeded no doubt.

22. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

One of my all time favourite musicians and albums ! I could not live without this album , who else could have Pharoah and Dizzy on the same album?

markp and bluejimbop like this.
  23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

An amazing record, and even better with the addition of The Hard Blues on the reissue, and yeah, it does sound remarkably fresh all these years later.

24. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

[​IMG] Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
    Recorded November 21, 1963. Grachan Moncur's 1st release as a bandleader.
    Grachan was part of Jackie Mclean's band at the time, and he used the same people but added Lee Morgan.
    Musicians:
    Grachan Moncur III: trombone
    Lee Morgan: trumpet
    Jackie McLean: alto saxophone
    Bobby Hutcherson: vibraphone
    Bob Cranshaw: bass
    Tony Williams: drums.

25. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett - Spirits

Been having a bit of a 'real-time mixtape' session this morning just listening to single tracks from various albums; intended just to have a quick listen to track 2 (Spirits 2, a favourite off this album) but ended up just letting the album play... keep meaning to switch to something else but it's really doing me good this morning. I think i'll just let it spin...

[​IMG]