Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    Some of my recent posts:
    Chick Corea - Now he sings, now he sobs.
    Jack Wilkins - Windows
    Stan Getz - Sweet Rain
    (Older one):
    Gary Burton - Like Minds

On all these great albums an amazing track: "windows". What a classic! Can I call it a standard?!

Have this idea, it's kinda of stupid, but I'll listen to them (diferent versions of windows) one after the other tomorrow. Like one side of an album just with windows... it might work.

I know a guy who's even crazier about this tune than I am: Bill Gates
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I was in Montreal for the first time in a while this weekend, and brought back quite a haul. Of the jazz albums I picked up, last night I listened to:

Miles Davis, 'Round About Midnight (Legacy Reissue).

Normally I would splurge on a MOFI for any Miles titles they've done, but I think Kevin Gray's mastering style has a special synergy with my system, so I thought I'd try this out first. I was very pleased indeed--it's hard for me to imagine this sounding more natural. This has never been one of my favorite Miles albums, but the mastering (and great pressing quality from RTI) gives it some much welcomed atmosphere in comparison to the Wilder-mastered CD. I may grow to like this more than I'd expected.

Cecil Taylor, Unit Structures (Blue Note 75th Anniversary Series)

I know these BN anniversary reissues are risky due to pressing quality issues, but this hasn't been reissued by any of the audiophile companies (and probably won't), and I had a good experience with the copy of Don Cherry's Complete Communion I bought from this series some months ago. Alas, no such luck this time--the record is plagued with non-fill. It isn't the usual lengthy tearing sounds, but more like very brief spots of it that sound as if someone is stepping on some corn chips or something--and it happens enough to be distracting, especially throughout the opening track. Aside from that, the mastering is kind of at the extreme end of the sound I associate with Bernie Grundman and Chris Bellman (both of whose initials are in the deadwax): almost razor sharp in terms of detail, but lacking something in terms of warmth and weight. The approach works pretty well for this material, bringing out all the quiet sounds and textural effects of scraping bows, etc., that are so abundant on this session. It does nothing to bring out the piano, infamously buried (way beyond the usual RVG piano sound) on this recording. Like the music itself, the sound is impressive and attention grabbing, but can become somewhat exhausting over the course of the album. Still, when it was over I wanted to hear it again, save for the annoying non-fill. Does anyone have a recommended pressing for this title?

An observation--it occurs to me that out of a collection of well over a thousand LPs, I've only experienced non-fill on four, including this one. Of those four, three are mastered by Grundman and/or Bellman, and are 33 rpm (namely, Ornette's Shape of Jazz to Come on Rhino and Miles' ESP on Impex ). This makes me wonder whether they master in such a way that requires 45 rpm to reliably avoid non-fill--I believe our host has said that increased dynamic range increases the risk of non-fill, especially at 33 rpm.

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

After hearing "Poinciana" tonight I'm looking for Ahmad Jamal's "Live at the Pershing." Looks as if there are a couple CD versions available - is there one to get above others? Amazing I've never owned this album till now . . .

Jim Walker, jay.dee and xybert like this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I love Montreal. Did you shop at Aux 33. ? Which shops did you like best for jazz?

5. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

It was indeed Aux 33 Tours. That's pretty much the only record store there I know and trust--I've been to a few others but consistently find Aux 33 best for both quality and quantity (of both used and new records). If you know of any shops that are even better for jazz, though, please let me know!

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

How is the drive from Toronto to Montreal in the warmer months? It looks pretty straight forward on the map. I've wanted to visit Toronto for quite a while now and Montreal looks close enough to consider renting a car and driving from one to the other.

NP Jessica Williams - The Art Of The Piano (Origin)
    Solo piano.

bluemooze, Starwanderer and Stu02 like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

That’s the best one for sure. I dont go anywhere else either .... good prices too.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

It’s a 5 to 6 hour drive. Very boring though. I sometimes fly or take the train. If you end up coming to Toronto PM me and I can help you out with what to do and see

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Great jazz festival in Montreal in late June / early July.

ohnothimagen and Stu02 like this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

For a good day music shopping in Montreal, I recommend starting at the corner of Mont Royal and St Denis, and walking eastward towards Aux 33. There are several stores stocking used CDs/LPs along the way to Aux 33.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Duh, typical Californian thinking car first. You're right, I would probably take the train. I guess I was remembering my beautiful drives in British Columbia years ago. Thanks for the offer. Not sure when but I keep saying I'm going to do it and now that I'll be retired in a few weeks the time to manage will be my own.

NP Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note) AP stereo SACD

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes! I'd love to attend that one!

13. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

SQ is not my area of expertise but FWIW: if you can find a copy, i thought that the CD from the late eighties sounded pretty good. Avoid the Gambit ‘complete’ release: it’s loud and bright/harsh. I have a recentish Japanese reissue which sounds okay to me but is still a bit bright. I’m thinking that the original recording maybe just wasn’t that great. Fantastic music though. Hey maybe just get the Mosaic set (haven’t heard it myself but Mosaics tend to be reliable). Haven’t heard the Hallmark release but i’d be wary based on the Hallmarks i have heard. Cheers.

Hopefully someone that’s better at this will chime in. :)

SBurke likes this.
  14. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Congratulations on your impending retirement.

Six String likes this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was digging that tune yesterday too and was streaming it via Apple Music from the Mosaic Argo Sessions box. I’m seriously considering getting that box sooner than later because it had a lot of good stuff on it in addition to the Pershing live material. The SQ was good and I was streaming through a Sonos Play:1, the CDs through the system proper would be even better I’m sure. Of course, the set is a lot of Jamal all at once so you may not be looking for that big of a dose.

SBurke likes this.
  16. Yesternow

bluemooze, WorldB3 and Mook like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

All of the discs in this set are great, but disc 1 is epic.

[​IMG]

Louis Armstrong "The Complete Louis Armstrong Decca Sessions 1935-1946" Mosaic #243

KipB, Joe F, bluejimbop and 4 others like this.
  18. I like what Jamal does with "Surrey With the Fringe On Top", heh heh...attaches it to a rocket sled.

Liking the fast tunes, recently- I bought a "best of" George Benson CD collection (I know, I know, but I wanted music for the car, had a "California Dreamin'" jones, and the comp had it) and got my ears wrapped around my head by his version of "Take Five." Not bad playing, from a Christian Scientist...if you haven't heard it in a while, give it a spin.

Phil Upchurch is in fine form comping on rhythm guitar, too. (Yeah. "Comping.")

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jamal's Argo period is excellent. There is one album with strings but most are trio settings. The only reason I don't own the Mosaic box is because I own a large portion of the albums on vinyl and didn't want to buy so many titles again. It didn't make financial sense. I love the music though, have no doubt. When I saw him at Yoshi's with Idris Muhammad on drums I noticed some older couples there who had brought their albums with Poinciana on it to get autographed.
    It was really aweet. Durimg the song you could have heard a pin drop (after the usual applause at the beginning).

If you liked some of what you heard you'll like be rest.

NP Keith Jarrett & Charlie Haden - Jasmine (ECM)

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have never heard of the bass player, Bennie Williams, but there is a new documentary which is being crowd-funded on Kickstarter. The filmmaker is Adam Kahan. I saw one of his previous works, The Case of the 3-Sided Dream about the reed player, Roland Rahsaan Kirk. I had never heard of him either, but after seeing the documentary, I went out and purchased a number of his records, including the vinyl set from Mosaic Records.

Can anyone talk about the albums to seek out for Bennie Williams?

And if anyone is interested in funding Kahan's new film on Williams, here is the website. It's called Bass To Infinity:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s/1240644855/buster-williams-bass-to-infinity

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Jessica Williams - Vital Signs (Red & Blue)
    Solo piano

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

A great tribute to one of my favorite guitarist.Can't go wrong with Larry Goldings and Idris Muhammad backing you either.
    What a bargain to at Half Price Books for $2.00 ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Unfortunately the link wouldn't work for me. This one did though: busterwilliamsmovie

The trailer looks pretty darn interesting.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

That solo in So What is just amazing. Love the version of Gentle Rain on here also.

Yesternow likes this.
  25. Yesternow

And what about his version of "take five" on this one ?
    [​IMG]

I would rate Bad Benson and White Rabbit even higher than Beyond the blue horizon.

PS: We're still waiting for an official Lonson
    George Benson CTI review :)