Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The UPS dude arrived just in time with my Mosaic package so that I could take a disc along with me to pick the kids up from school and other assorted afternoon scuttlebuttin’. I’m planning on listening to disc 3 from:

The Complete Hank Mobley Fifities Sessions

[​IMG]

which looks to mainly consist of:

Hank Mobley Quintet

[​IMG]

2. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Congratulations to the Oppo. An amazing machine, but (for a number of reason that do not belong here) I decided against it and went for the CXU instead. I never looked back.

I agree on the BR-A version of Maiden Voyage, the disc sounds amazing. It looks like BR-A is another entry in the long line of failed formats. This is the explanation I have that this disc is still available for under $10 at CD Japan.

3. Postercowboy

No more $10 deals on this one. Sold out quite a while ago.

4. Postercowboy

NP: Nat Birchall - Invocations

Spiritual Jazz from Manchester, UK.

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The UDP-205 is a very good machine. I'd say for someone who hasn't fully succumbed to the audiophile bug it's a fantastic source and headphone amp to be the heartbeat of a system. Connect it to a good pair of powered speakers and you have a great audio/visual system.

I can see why you could choose the CXU over the Oppo, I've now owned both, they're great players. The balanced output of the Oppo makes it the best choice for my system but I already miss a few features of the CXU (the info screen, the Darbee effect even though I only used a few dabs, the HDMI input on the front). Both sound great. The weight of the Oppo is a great feature too, seems hefty and I like hefty machines.

I bought up almost all those Japanese Blu-ray Audio discs at the closeout prices from CDJapan.co.jp and sure am glad I did! Remarkably good sound.

6. Postercowboy

What kept me from going for the Oppo are pretty much exactly the things you like about it: The headphone amp (don‘t need it), the heavy weight in combination with the fact that it gets pretty hot. Which simply means it has a high power consumption. The Oppo is highly analytic, which was something I was not overly crazy over either.
    Also, the CXU was about €1000 cheaper... So I used half of the movie I saved and had my CXU modded, which turned out to be money very well spent.
    The only thing I occasionally miss is that the CXU does not have an Ipad app.

I bought the entire japanese BR-A series of ten discs and I really like them all. Listened to Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus yesterday. Also, there‘s have a Mono version of Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section that I really like.

7. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Hoping for the SACD releases.

8. Lonson

I passed on the Pepper as I'm not really a fan! But I bet I have the others and really dig them.

I honestly don't find the Oppo analytical in comparison to how warm and fuzzy I find the CXU. Filter choice makes a difference in the Oppo as well. They're both great machines. I got my CXuU at a discount too but it may be important to remember that the original price was nearly the same as the Oppo I believe. . . .

Anyway choices are good! Too bad the CXU is gone and the new one does not have analog output.

9. Postercowboy

I must admit, I have not heard the Oppo in my chain. I only auditoned it a local dealer shop and heard it over a pair of $30K B&W speakers. In direct comparison to the 203 the big Oppo is extremely detailed, to a degree that I found almost frightening.
    Also, the mod took a most of the fuzziness out of my CXU, it came back with a lot of added detail but still kept its analog warmth.
    Again, it was a really close match between the two.

10. Lonson

Cool. Different horses for different courses. I like them both. The increased gain via the balanced output is what prompted my change, nothing else.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yeah, a nice original maybe...mine is an average reissue with the odd gray cover but it was given to me by a friend so no complaints.

12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Year 2001.
    After a second attempt I was finally into electric Miles.
    Bitches Brew was being digested and appreciated and I was in love with the transitional sound - specially "in a silent way".
    This double CD comes out with live tracks from BB and a version of "it's about that time". Bought it immediately.
    [​IMG]
    Mind that I was unaware of the live sound of the band at that point.
    I was in shock the first time I played it. What was that ?! What instrument was Chick playing ? Him, Dave and Jack ... man they were #%& loud.

For long years I almost didn't play. It was a nice one for historical reasons but I'd still preferred the studio sound.

Now that I've gone full circle (several times) it makes sense.
    So tonight it's about that time again.
    [​IMG]

PS: Maybe it's common for you guys over there, but it's the only CD I have with an "FBI" stamp.:)

13. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

My favourite ever version of Masqualero is the one on there.

Yesternow likes this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

John Tchicai w/Brus Trio - Soaked Sorrows

John Tchicai - ts
    Ulf Akerheim - b
    Gilbert Mathews - d
    Arne Forsén - p

A friend of mine sent me a cdr so I don't have any other details. :shh:

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

np:
    [​IMG]
    cd

bluemooze likes this.
  16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It was available on this release a while back. Seems now to be OOP. The release included it along with the whole of Les Stance a Sophie:

https://www.amazon.com/Americans-Sw...=8-2&keywords=art+ensemble+americans+in+paris

A shame it seems to be expensive and hard to find at present. This little reissue offered a pretty wonderful slice of AEOC music in a tight little package. The two albums included here were, separately, my introduction to the band's universe. I'll never forget the way "Theme de Yoyo" pinned my ears back! And the slow boil of People in Sorrow remains for me a prime example of the spell that freely improvised music can cast in a long-form performance.

L.

Roger Thornhill and jay.dee like this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

As you probably recall, I was going to get the CXU but by the time I was actually in a spot where I was ready to get it... it was already replaced by the newer version... which being without the analog outs, as you mentioned, was a deal breaker for me. I have to admit it really crosses my mind to go big and splurge on something in the price range of the PS Audio but I guess I’m still holding for dear life to my DVD-A and BR-A discs and didn’t want to be without something to play them on.

Lonson likes this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm glad 25 years ago, when I was first deep diving into jazz, I bought so many of these records. Turns out in these times when so much is boutiqued in specialty boxes or at least available streaming somewhere, there's a lot of '60s, '70s, and '80s jazz that's not available, and not too cheap to come by. But I do wish this stuff was more readily available to everybody now.

Roger Thornhill, jay.dee and markp like this.
  19. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Started off with a Ben Webster record and Art Blakey's Moanin',
    and jumped to this one by Rickie Lee Jones. It is not hard to go
    back to this one from time to time; still sounds great and had to do
    a double take again after another review of who exactly plays
    on this. The sessions included Gadd, Brecker, Tom Scott and
    Sanborn among others. Rickie Lee has her own style and scats
    occasionally, making this a jazzy affair with pop sensibilities.

[​IMG]

20. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Amen to all that!

I don't know why a label like Nessa wouldn't keep a record like that in print, at least in some print-on-demand form, but at least it's been posted to youtube:

People In Sorrow Part 2 ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO (1969 aud)

L.

21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I'm hearing this for the first time--this is incredible!!!

jay.dee, chervokas and lschwart like this.
  22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I suspect those Pathe recordings aren't owned by Nessa.

23. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That would certainly explain it!

L.

24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Indeed, it is.

L.

25. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP - recent mono reissue

[​IMG]