Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

2. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

You’re trying to get one of us to say “From the sublime to ... “ but I’m not gonna bite.

jerico likes this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think this is the first time ( maybe) someone has referenced this great lp on this thread . Me thinks you touched a nerve here.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    rxcory and Maseman66 like this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Your point about Monk giving room to Coltrane is bang on. The Coltrane Monk recordings of this era are peerless partially because one rarely gets to see the genesis of genius. Monk was so often bringing out the edgy creative side of players who might never have opened up without him. My recent post on Griffin being another example.

Though Coltrane was always destined to be massive creative force even if he had been abandoned on the moon.

rxcory, xybert and NorthNY Mark like this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It’s been discussed. :)

Lonson and Stu02 like this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Worst Grant Green Lp cover ever? Shocking it’s a blue note cover.

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I can’t tell you how many times I have said to myself “I’m not a .... fan. “. Or, “Christ what the hell was that crazy sh%#t “
    Only to open that door weeks or months or years or ....... umm , err, ahem , actually even decades later :oops:

Jazz is always a moving target for me and I cannot say that about any other music genre and I honestly believe that’s why I love it so.

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]

John and Alice Coltrane
    Cosmic Music
    The recent reissue from Superior Viaduct. Brilliant.

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ellington Indigos was my conversion album but Lonson I am often surprised to see this record dismissed as trite or more commonly simply ignored by reviewers. Maybe you have not seen this but I wonder if it was because it was a different type of album for him?

11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

WP
    T Rex The Slider

NP.
    Cannonball w Milt on vibes &
    Kelly piano
    Heath bass
    Blakey. Drums
    [​IMG]
    German import of one of those early 80s All analogue OJC reissues you can still find criminally cheap in the used bins

12. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I notice it's one of the few albums of his not available on Spotify. My favorite of his albums (that I've heard) is Masterpieces by Ellington, which I absolutely love for its lush, cinematic, constantly morphing, almost symphonic arrangements. Is Indigos similar by any chance?

Lonson and Stu02 like this.
  13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Chick Corea - Rendezvous in New York (Hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

Interesting live double-disc, with various Chick Corea groups/combos. So, it's a bit YMMV, depending on how much the particular group appeals to you. Some of course I would love to hear more from, some less. Nice sampler overall though, and sounds really nice. Still available at good prices for a SACD.

There is a series of DVDs as well I believe.

bluemooze and hyde park like this.
  14. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane

At a bit of a loose end as to what i felt like listening to and prompted by all the recent discussion. Been a while since i've listened to this one, great stuff.

[​IMG]

Lol, i guess so. Definitely a bit cheesy but i don't mind it. I like the music, but a more hip cover would have framed it as such.

LEONPROFF, bluemooze, rxcory and 9 others like this.
  15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

No not at all though Masterpieces is well. Masterpiece like.
    Indigos is a smaller sounding sometimes lush sometimes quirky but surprisingly modern sounding Lp with perhaps my favorite take on one of my favorite songs Autumn Leaves.

NorthNY Mark and Lonson like this.
  16. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I'm listening to this through some old Grado headphones rather loudly.
    It's a new way of listening to Vibrations and I love Peacock's performance
    on bass with the bow. The horns really go off as once again, I'm holding
    steady with a firm grip on the chair.

[​IMG]

17. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

There are a million jazz live albums I haven't heard for sure. But there must be just a few that sound better than this one by 1973.
    [​IMG]
    Those Japanese sound engineers knew what they were doing. And you can hear by the sound of the audience that this was not a small venue as, for example, the V. Vanguard.

Although it's not on my top Bill albums (due to tracklist only) it sound great on a Sunday morning.

First track: Morning Glory, perfect.

bluemooze, rxcory, Soulpope and 5 others like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The Procrastinator has been referenced a number of times. There is a new reissue released from Japan the end of last year

19. Lonson

I really haven't seen this.I think this material was in part a development of dance program material and methods the band played live during the second half or the 'fifties. Differing from other albums yes, but recognized by followers.

20. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

How does that sound ?
    What is the song sequence on that sacd?
    Were those songs performed in just one concert?

That is a great Coltrane tribute. One of my favorite Pharaoh albums nowadays.

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well maybe his followers get it but I actually think you were the first person I read who lauded Indigos as something truly special. (Which is partially why I love this thread). Though we have all learned by now to take reviewers comments with a healthy dose of salt the following are a few typical comments on this great LP:

Penguin Guide ...”this sounds like a chore for this company...the band set to snore...the players play themselves rather than playing..”

Rolling stone jazz critic John Swenson gives it only 3 stars amongst many 5 star reviews and fails to mention it at all in his overview

Allmusic guide “relaxing if unexciting..not essential” and gives it 2 out of 5 stars which is the lowest rating of any of the dozens of reviews in this guide

Michael Cusina for Mosaic “ one of his most boring..”

As I said most of us don’t pay much heed to these critical sources and there are a few positive comments you can find but it sure is not widely considered in the place it really deserves to be IMHO.

We are fortunate to have a more widely deserving panel of jazz lovers on this thread.

peter1 likes this.
  22. Lonson

Okay, I see those points. In this decade I've just not paid attention to critics. I haven't read them or sought out their opinions. After discovering jazz and listening and reading about it since the early 'seventies I have formed my own foundation of opinion and my own compass. And I enjoy the opinions of people on this and the other jazz thread more than a lot of others. . . we're lucky to have each other here.

23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

+1

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No doubt Trane's couple of months with Monk were important to that crucial pivot Trane made in '57. Trane said of that period, "Working with Monk brought me close to a musical architect of the highest order. I felt I learned from him in every way -- sensually, theoretically, technically. I would talk to Monk about musical problems, and he would show me the answers by playing them on the piano. He gave me complete freedom in my playing , and no one ever did that before."

But I also think what Trane went through during the period was much bigger than anything he just got from the experience of playing with Monk -- he was 30, 31, fired again from yet another band, wife and wife's daughter to support, and getting nowhere with his music, then he quit drugs and alcohol and, as he famously described, had a sort of spiritual awakening, and seemed to turn relentlessly to these new ideas of his, or, ideas at the time very much influenced by his practice from Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns.

And if you listen to the playing from '57 through '58 and into '59 with Giant Steps and then on into "Chasin' the Trane" in '61 and compare it to what he was playing with Miles in '55 and '56, he's gone from a sometimes electrifying but often sloppy, not enormously coherent soloist mostly playing solos that are collections of short phrases of almost borrowed ideas -- a bop phrase here, a melodic variation there -- to a guy with a very distinct personal style, who is changing quickly as he expands that style, who is hyper focused and playing very focused, longer and longer solos that aren't these cobbled together phrases but deep dives into vertical harmony and chord substitutions (and ultimately adding all this other sort of timbral variation by the time you get to "Chasin'..." in '61), and whose chops are dazzling -- none of those horrible reed squeaks and just blazing speed of ideas with execution that can match.

I think there's more to Coltrane's transition in '57 from junkie bop inheritor trying, and failing, to hang on to gigs with his erratic behavior, and erratic playing, to new thinker and jazz thought leader exploding with ideas and originality and technical excellence. But clearly the period with Monk, coming in the middle of that and Monk being Monk, was a big part of Trane's transition.

Moebius, lschwart, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@Lonson deserves credit for establishing the conversation part of this thread!

NP: Miles Seven Steps to Heaven while sipping some fresh ground French Roast on a Sunday morning.