Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

OK, I surrender, now playing (Spotify):
    Bobo Stenson Trio - Contra la indecision (ECM).

Six, I wonder if you have any kind of commission on that album?! Or if your real name is Bobo :).

2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Awesome. Ordered this morning. I've been very happy with the 33 MM's so far so was plenty happy to save a few bucks.

rxcory and Stu02 like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I admit I'm a whore for Bobo. :) I usually listen to him in the early morning as it brings me into conciousness in a slow but deliberate way.

NP Bennie Maupin - Jewel In the Lotus (ECM)

This may be the only album on ECM that features Herbie Hancock. It also has Charles Sullivan on trumpet. Bonus points!

4. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not Jazz, but I have always found most jazz fans to be curious and open-minded.

Over the years, I have acquired a small handful of the World War II "audio-letters" back home from soldiers on 7 inch 78 RPM acetates. There were different types, but this type is more common than others:

[​IMG]

Many were never labeled (the family knew who it was), and unfortunately are now anonymous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some have degraded so much that they cannot be played:

[​IMG]

One-by-one, these audio letters may not be very profound, they were more like an extended postcard. I believe a mobile truck with a sound booth traveled to army bases and cities where soldiers were stationed, and recorded soldiers, possibly for free, and posted them right there.

The sound on the old acetate records can be poor, but I envision using a large collection of these 1 to 2 minute recordings, preferably in a video documentary. The soundtrack is exclusively these records, at least 30-50 of them. The visuals would be still images, possibly moving images, of the soldiers (not necessarily the same as on the recording, though that would be ideal). Maybe images of the families, the wives, the children of those soldiers.

The recordings and images would be sequenced and edited to tell a bigger story that is much more profound than the words on the records. Some serious high-tech sound restoration would help.

I already see and hear this film in my head. I have many un-made movies in my head. They keep me up until the wee hours of the morning.

These thoughts came from finding one more of these records this morning. Another 10 cents of my money toward the costs of settling the estate of a deceased veteran.

The sound of a human voice evokes emotions and memories that are so much deeper than those from any photograph. It saddens me that countless examples of these recordings have remained at the end of estate sales and gone to the local garbage dump.

Here is one, selected at random

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    bluemooze and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

One of my favorites. Just such "buoyant" and joyful music.

"Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett" Atlantic Records, Warner Japan CD

[​IMG]

8. Lonson

[​IMG]

The Phil Woods Quartet "Warm Woods" Sony budget reissue featuring 1999 DSD mastering.

rxcory, bluemooze and Electric like this.
  9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Cuneiform's weekend $5 download is a great album

New Myth / Old Science by Living By Lanterns

Greg Ward – alto saxophone
    Taylor Ho Bynum – cornet
    Ingrid Laubrock – tenor saxophone
    Tomeka Reid – cello
    Mary Halvorson – guitar
    Jason Adasiewicz – vibraphone
    Joshua Abrams – bass
    Tomas Fujiwara – drums
    Mike Reed – drums, electronics
    with
    Nick Butcher - electronics

1) Click this album link: LIVING BY LANTERNS | CUNEIFORM RECORDS
    2) Click "Buy Digital Album"
    3) Type "10" into the Name your price field (The discount comes next! ;) ).
    4) Type the word "FIVE" into the Discount code field.
    5) Click "apply"
    6) Click "Check out now" or "Add to Cart"

10. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

John Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard Again!

This one has grown on me immensely over the years.

[​IMG]

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Steve Swallow Quintet - Into The Woodwork (Watt/ECM) 2013
    A friend who's a huge fan of Swallow discovered this recently and he was shocked that he had never heard of this release. Such is advertising for jazz releases these days. He really liked it and wanted me to hear it. How could I say no? It has Carla Bley on organ, Chris Cheek tenor sax, Steve Cardenas on guitar and Jorge Rossy on drums. The songs are 5 minutes or less so not the usual stretching out with multiple solos per song.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Do I see a youtube channel in your future?

13. Lonson

Jimi Hendrix "Both Sides of the Sky"

[​IMG]

Worth waiting for.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Somewhat remote chance of that. Though I have been an FM broadcaster for over 40 years, I was once considering going into television documentary production. But video for some reason is so strictly controlled with respect to legal rights and enforcement. I can easily get away with broadcasting complete musical performance clips from films on radio, but would be instantly crushed doing the same in a video format. There is not enough money in the world to get the rights to broadcast complete song video clips. That is why nearly all music TV-film documentaries include only fragments of songs (the rights are a tiny fraction of the cost for complete clips). Even big time producers cannot get or afford the rights for full performances. So I chose radio.

I know Youtube has many unlicensed videos. But I'd rather go below the legal radar, and the web leaves a trail.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They went to the same hairdresser

[​IMG]

My cat loves both Dylan and Hendrix.

[​IMG]

16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

[​IMG] ‎April 21 & 22, 1961
    Miles Davis - trumpet
    Wynton Kelly - piano
    Paul Chambers - bass
    Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone
    Jimmy Cobb - drums

Ok, so Miles Davis was also extending songs and stretching solos around the same time as John Coltrane. Yeah, Miles and Coltrane, improvising and jamming like no other. I love this music!

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For all of the talk about how live jazz was unconfined and free, it is amazing how relatively few authentic live recordings of jazz were issued in the era of the giants. Of course there were a few, but most jazz labels barely touched live sessions.

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yes, and the live shows is where the true magic and spontaneity occurred. I search for the live recordings of artists because I feel that is more authentic and true to the musician.

jay.dee and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

To me, "live" means "live", and that can be in the studio - a band performing together whether there was an audience or not, with no multi-tracked overdubs. The "modern" approach to recording, where the musicians do not perform together and there are many later overdubs or alternate tracks mixed, is a disaster.

Though we do not have much actual evidence, most studio recordings actually did have an audience - typically the artists invited guests, though they were usually in a sound-locked viewing room. I've been to a few myself.

But there are so many examples of what you say, including the famous statement by Coleman Hawkins that the Fletcher Henderson Band could never capture the incredible energy of their club shows in the recording studio.

Today, many artists are insisting on "live-in-the-studio" recordings. It is interesting that some of the biggest giants of popular music resisted the modern artificial recording techniques and wanted to record together with their bands or orchestras, despite the demands of the record companies. Examples include Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan. It is too bad that The Beatles did not insist on this, but George Martin never would allow it.

Of course many artists hate having to record multiple takes and destroying their spontaneity.

jay.dee and Doggiedogma like this.
  20. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I went back and looked up the article again. It was August of '58 indeed,
    and a typo on my part or a mis-memory. Anyway, you can view some
    of the documentary in two parts on the U. What little I saw was a sight to
    behold, remarkable footage of the greats in the moment of the shoot, plus
    some historical reels. Good stuff worth checking out all the same.

Tribute likes this.
  21. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I'm in the hunt for some Roland Kirk, very well thought of player in the
    jazz circles and recommend-lists. This cover art is a classic.

NP:... Oh my WoW, Setting the Pace is blowing my face right off my head.
    The performance is all around terrific with the the front men workin' it.
    Obviously the enjoyment of playing together shines on this, a live show in
    Germany. A rock and roll monster in a manner of speaking, including four
    pieces that make up over 75 minutes; a recording so remarkable it sounds like
    like a studio jam of the highest order. The discipline is astounding. Really
    enjoying some recent purchases of Booker. And a splendid, nice follow up to
    the Allman's The Fillmore Concerts?

You bet!

[​IMG]

22. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Was studying mathematics with my kid: solid figures... Uhhh that's hard.

He went to bed now, but I'll proceed my study with:
    Cannonball Adderley - Pyramid, 1974
    [​IMG]
    It's not one of his best records, but it's still 70s Adderley, in which I'm always interested.

rxcory, bluejimbop, Carraway and 5 others like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Do you have this CD box set?

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

Imaginary session:

Duke Ellington Meets Roland Kirk

24. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Just received CD of Bill Evans "another time: the Hillersum Concert, 1968"

A few bourbons and this for tonight.:righton:

rxcory, xybert, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  25. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

The Horace Silver Quintet - Song for My Father (1965)
    1966 US pressing on Blue Note Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]