Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Guess it'sa good time to dig into Duke' s music. As I never heard any of his material before. Where would be the best place to start?

Carraway likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I suggest getting one set from each of three or four decades all at once 1930's through the 1960s

Carraway likes this.
  3. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I can't pick one place to start, but a few to hear are that "And His Mother Called Him Bill" album along with At Newport 1956, and The Blanton-Webster Band (early 40s). I also recently bought the Black Lion release, The Feeling of Jazz, which is astounding.

bluejimbop likes this.
  4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

The Lost Trident Sessions for the first time. I've been wanting it for
    quite a few years. I feel this will be awesome. Several on this thread
    made a very big recommendation on it... so here goes.

My gosh, I'm an older person with a bad memory and I'm speaking
    like a child, probably a good thing. lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

love this set. One of my most played “classical” lps. Timeless.

Lonson likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

7. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I think it's my favorite too. Booker Ervin AND Grant Green? Of course I love it.

rxcory and Gabe Walters like this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

You will find many fans of this record here. I love the film but my bias is so squewed due to this being one of 5he first Miles records that I fell for that I am not a reliable film critic. In fact If you set the aquarium tv channel to this album I’d be all in. PS. there is no finer experience then listening to Ascenseur on your headphones walking through a rainy Sunday in Toronto early in wee hours of the morning. For me this is a rainy day record

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Listened to this about 6 hours ago. About to play Poor Eric again. I try to not overplay this ballad but sometimes ....
    Edit: it’s rediculous that you can still buy this MM 33 for 39 bucks.

rxcory, xybert, markp and 5 others like this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That would have superb having Tony Rice in the mix. There was a fiddle player C & H have played with who lived near by who sat in but we didn't get Tony! I forge t his name but it was nice having a trio.

NP Baden Powell - Solitude On The Guitar (Columbia) Dutch pressing from 1973

Speaking of great guitarists, does anyone else listen to Baden Powell? I don't see his name mentioned here. Superb Brazilian guitarist who plays some kind of classical/Brazilia style. I really like his playing and tend to buy his music when I see it as it rarely shows up in the local racks. It's usually not expensive if it does because people don't know anything about him.

13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I don’t know this and will check it out. But I know what you are saying. I feel the same listening to Jim Halls Concierto with Chet Paul Ron Roland and Steve Gadd. To me they worship both Rodrigo and Miles to the point that they play it soooo straight and unaffected but with such restrained passion that they both honour the original and the Miles classic and breathe new life into it. I may even prefer it to the Miles sketches....:hide:

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

+1

15. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Savory Collection Vol. 2 (Count Basie Orchestra w. Lester Young) Streaming... think the physical CD release of these on Mosaic is out soon. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

Joe F, bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  16. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I'm a real nut case for these pieces, especially Op 69. I have 9 complete sets of them by various duos. My favorite Op 69 is by Glenn Gould and Leonard Rose live on CBC TV. I loved it so much that I bought a box set of Gould at the CBC on DVD just so I could rip the audio from it. Here is the first movement, you need to follow the links to get to the other two movements:

bluemooze and Starwanderer like this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

18. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Thank you for reading my post and considering to check it out based on it.

But please check it before buying. As someone who cannot afford all CDs he desire I dread on the thought that someone buys something based on my comment and dislikes it.

I guess I've only mentioned albums that I like so far. And I'm aware that I mention them with excessive passion sometimes. But it is what I feel at that point. And what a hell, what's jazz without passion??

Later on I'll post about another album by Jack Wilkins, that I've been checking before buying ;): "Merge".
    And I'll try to comment on that one with less passion:).

BluTom and jay.dee like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have that box set as well. Great stuff.

eeglug likes this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's kinda tough with Ellington at the moment it terms of easily digging into his discography, and especially if you've never heard any of it before. Most of his most important -- and in my opinion, best -- work is pre-war, was recorded for many different labels, and is poorly anthologized in currently-available collections. Also, so much of it has been haphazardly released over the years in questionable anthologies of varying sound quality and Duke had such a long recording career, that navigating what's available is a daunting task.

There are a couple of career spanning CD anths, some of which are still in print in hard copy, that are OK -- none cover all labels and all period, all have significant omissions in terms of essential songs and performances. There's the out-of-print Highlights from the Duke Ellington Centennial Edition 1927-1973, which is an three-CD set and still available that has a really good selection of stuff from Duke's entire career.

There are a couple of anths featuring just the Columbia stuff like The Essential, that's an OK selection.

There's no great single or double CD set of even the '20s and '30s material. My favorite selection of material from that era on one disk is the old RCA Bluebird CD, Early Ellington -- despite the noise reduction. It's also OOP but easily obtainable.

The so-called Blanton-Webster band years of the early '40s, when Duke expanded his musical vocabulary thanks in part to the additions not only of Webster, and the first really virtuoso bass player in jazz, Jimmy Blanton, but also his compositing and arranging partner, Billy Strayhorn, is well represented on the three-CD set Never No Lament.

Other people here are bigger fans of post War Ellington than I am and certainly will have better recommendations from that era. But the 1999 stereo reconstruction of the famous '56 Newport concert is a great one and a fine look at later Ellington as a concert institution.

Take a pick from the suites Ellington turned a lot of attention to later -- The Far East Suite from '66 seems to be one we all can agree on. I also like Such Sweet Thunder and the Black Brown & Beige album if only for the pairing of Ellington and Mahalia Jackson (I think the only complete contemporaneous recording of the whole suite is a Carnegie Hall war-time concert recording that's not sonically all that wonderful).

FWIW, some of this stuff is streaming on Spotify, so if you use Spotify, or other similar streaming platforms, you may be able to dip your toes into this vast discography before buying.

xybert, Blue Note, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

No worries. I almost always stream first.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Red Garland - All Kind Of Weather (Prestige) black & yellow mono
    Waking up!

rxcory, xybert, Henry Please and 2 others like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Tommy Flanagan - Ballads & Blues (Inner City/Enja)
    A duo set with George Mraz on bass.

rxcory and Starwanderer like this.
  24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I love Stone Flute. The sound and style is associated with musicians a few years younger, but it's more interesting than Comin' Home, Baby.

Yesternow likes this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Clare Fischer - Surging Ahead (Pacific Jazz) orig. stereo pressing
    Trio recording with Albert Stinson and Colin Bailey.

BluTom and bluemooze like this.