Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bobo Stenson - Goodbye (ECM)

The opening track, Send In The Clowns puts me in my happy place.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Hadley Caliman "Iapetus" Mainstream Records/Solid Records Japan CD. Yesternow inquired about this and it made me seek out a re-listen.

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I was young, my goal was to preserve every jazz album, along with other styles, because when I started it was the era of massive deletions of entire catalogs and entire labels, and before the era of reissues in any format. I was worried, and made it my mission. I didn't realize that there were many like me, maybe because most were much older than me.

The Dylan line comes to mind:
    "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Starwanderer, Stu02 and Doggiedogma like this.
  4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Another Pono user ?! :winkgrin:

This Sony discman is pretty close to the one I have.
    Sunday after lunch I really feel like relaxing while playing some jazz. But with 2 kids and a wife (who's always able to find something to do at home) it's not easy.
    So I choose one CD and take that discman and my dog for a walk. A 30 something minutes long CD is perfect. CTI ones are very good to make the walk pleasant. The problem is when I get to a track like Camel Hump (Benson & Farrell), can't avoid doing some embarrassing funky steps.
    If the dog could talk we would confirm the embarrassment.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Whenever I see a CD Walkman for $1 at a garage sale and it works, I buy it (unless it is an early generation player). They are great to take to used music shops and record shows. Now that many new automobiles do not have any CD player at all, they will be useful for that as well (assuming they keep an audio mini-plug input). Few are being manufactured today, and most of those are very low quality.

jay.dee and Doggiedogma like this.
  6. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Great album.

Bill Evans' playing is really interesting. This was recorded just a few months before Kind Of Blue.

[​IMG]

rxcory, bluemooze, MagicAlex and 6 others like this.
  7. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Attended another fantastic concert today.
    Raimonds Pauls (probably the most famous Latvian pianist), singer Dinara Rudane and Latvian Radio Big Band.

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many years ago (gosh more than 40), when I had a whole group of friends who were exiles from South African apartheid, we enjoyed so much music together, especially true South African jazz. They personally introduced me to Dollar Brand (in person, before he was known as Abdullah Ibrahim) and the rare recordings of Kippie Moeketsi.

But they seriously enjoyed American jazz, and particularly the artists that they had been able to meet in person in their homeland.

David Fathead Newman was one of those. They loved his sound, especially his tune "Hard Times". This is one catchy theme that transfixed an entire party of South Africans who dreamed of the day they could return to their country as free men.

9. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Lee Morgan- Candy (MM 33 1/3)
    [​IMG]
    Sounding sweet (pun intended).

rxcory, bluemooze, MagicAlex and 8 others like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

David Grisman Quintet - Dawganova (Acoustic Disc)

Brazilian music meets bluegrass. I've always liked the jazz standards played by Grisman, Tony Rice, etc. and this is in the same mindset, played with love, devotion and skill. Their takes on Nature Boy and Tico Tico are superb.

11. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Miles Davis- Friday And Saturday Nights At The Blackhawk (Impex)
    [​IMG]
    Saw this mentioned upstream. Good excuse to pull this out for a listen. The Impex reissue sounds superb.

12. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Cleaned some 78’s I bought back in the fall. Tatum is just a monster

[​IMG]

Peter Johnson and Albert Ammons, “with drums” not credited, is a fun listen.

EDIT. The drummer was James F. Hoskins
    Recorded May 7 1941 and June 17 1941.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    rxcory, cedarbrew, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  13. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. Know a bit of Dave Grisman through his association with JG. Been wanting to explore Tony Rice's discography for a while now. Need to just jump in.

cedarbrew and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I hear jazz influences in all of Tony's releases but Mar West and Back Water on Rounder Records have several jazz standards on them. He frequently includes one jazz track per album. Bluegrass has always had a relationship with jazz imo from the structure of songs, an importance of improvisation and a love of rearranging old tunes. Tony Rice, David Grisman and the rest of those guys who played with each other over the years made some timeless music. There is a three cd set of the David Grisman Quintet titled DGQ 20 which was a compilation on Acoustic Disc that might be a good taste of their career. Dawganova is a single disc though and might be a cheaper way to sample. They might be super cheap on the used market too. Acoustic Disc does a good job sound wise and the old Rounder Records sound great too if you can still find them. I bought all of mine years ago so I don't know how they do in today's market.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The series of three CDs that David Grisman did called Tone Poems is superb. Each with a guest player, each in a different musical style. Each has an excellent book showing the many master craftsman vintage instruments used in the sessions

These are highly recommended

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Thanks. Need to check the web for some of these. He certainly has no shortage of material both under his own name and the various collaborations/bands he played in. Can be a bit daunting.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  17. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Looks very interesting. Thank you very much.

18. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

No time like the present. Found a mint copy of Mar West on vinyl for a reasonable price and also picked up Tone Poems Vol. 1 on CD. Looking forward to hearing both of these.

cedarbrew likes this.
  19. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter- Native Dancer (Speakers Corner)
    [​IMG]
    Nice chill way to move into Sunday evening.

rxcory, bluejimbop, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you buy the David Grisman TONE POEMS series used, make certain that the dealer is providing the outer slipcase WITH THE BOOK. The books (about 50 pages each) are essential, with photographs and discussion of dozens of vintage instruments, all in color. Don't get just the CDs in the jewel cases. The jewel case front inserts simply have a songlist

Doggiedogma likes this.
  21. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Love Sade, but man Soldier of Love is a downer. Thanks for post, tho. Bout to put on Stronger Than Pride: mellow but irie. :cool:

Morbius likes this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I was getting withdrawal symptoms since I hadn't been to Ray's for a few weeks - I'm picking up John Surman's back catalogue when I see it. This and his solo Private City came home with me. Great lineup - especially like Oxley's percussion on this.

[​IMG]

lschwart, alankin1, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

24. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

All the talk of 80s jazz inspired me to pull out David Murray's Live At Sweet Basil Vol 1 - great stuff.

[​IMG]

25. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Holy cow, what a line up. Listening now via Spotify.

bluemooze likes this.