Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Joe Farrell's take on "Too High" is also very good...
    [​IMG]
    And it's a good excuse to play Geo Blue again... Love that track, well the entire album to be precise. Starting with the colours used on the cover:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, MagicAlex and xybert like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Wayne Shorter "Super Nova" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

[​IMG]

When I first heard it years ago "Dindi" was perhaps the first time I heard the real beauty in Jobim's music. . . and it helped lead down a long and enjoyable journey of discovery of him music.

rxcory, lschwart, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

No drums,piano..just some great music from this Trio
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  4. Lonson

Wayne Shorter "Odyssey of Iska" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

Man this SHM-CD and the SHM-CD of "Super Nova" sound excellent.

[​IMG]

Edit to add: I just got a notice that the 25th Anniversary Edition SE84UFO3 Monoblocks I ordered from Decware are now "On the Bench." Exciting! I'm loving the sound I am getting right now from the Taboo Mk IV amp I'm using. . . I imagine these Monoblocks will take me even further down the listening rabbit hole.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    rxcory, lschwart, alankin1 and 14 others like this.
  5. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Paul Bley - Complete Savoy Sessions 1962-1963

[​IMG]

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

np:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Lonson

Duke Ellington "The Reprise Studio Recordings" Mosaic Records Disc 1

[​IMG]

rxcory, lschwart, alankin1 and 9 others like this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I found an original pressing of Madlib's Shades of Blue LP at the shop today, for a very nice price. Ditto for the 4x10" set of Thundercat's Drunk.

xybert likes this.
  9. Yesternow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did you know this is the same album ?!

I'm sure that someone bought more than one not knowing that. I mean, if I saw a new record with those names on the cover I would probably buy whiteout checking the tracklist.

rxcory, mcwlod, MagicAlex and 2 others like this.
  10. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Jack Wilkins- Windows (Mainstream Records)
    [​IMG]

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's nice to hear. He seemed quite devoted to jazz pianists. His cds/sacds sounded great and the packaging was top notch.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wow! I look forward to your review.

Lonson likes this.
  13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I’ve met NOBODY who spoke bad of him.
    Yes, he was devoted to pianists. And he played the piano but as I mentioned before, ’88' refers to not the piano but his name, Yasohachi, named after his birthday, 8th August.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Yesternow likes this.
  14. Lonson

I'll definitely let you know. Probably a month or so before I have them. . .

15. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Talented people in = Talented people out.

Even if they do not make it through freshman orientation.

Remember, Miles Davis quit Julliard before he found out where the cafeteria was.

Doggiedogma and Gabe Walters like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Interesting coincidence I guess. He recorded a lot of great pianists in his time, many favorites of mine like Hank Jones.

NP Les McCann - Live At Shelly's Manhole (Limelight) mono olive colored label.
    Recorded in 1965, it has a mix of upbeat funky (Horace Silver kind of funky) and ballads. Well recorded by Wally Heider.

Limelight is an interesting label. They had a couple of albums I wasn't crazy about but overall they are well done with good sound and thick cardboard covers, some with interesting designs. I wouldn't put it in the must own category but it is good and worth the $8 I spent on it today.

18. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

19. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Consider also Still Inside and Acoustics from the Tony Rice Unit for some more jazzier ones. Unit of Measure is all instrumental too, not strictly jazz, but great picking per normal, and has a version of Swing 42 on there.

Devlin' is a compilation disc that includes tunes from Mar West and Still Inside. His tune Devlin' is one of my favorite of his compositions - has versions released with the DGQ as well as on his own albums.

Six String likes this.
  20. Yesternow

How can someone start his long career with a best-of ? This is what this CD looks to me. He probably had better versions, in coming albums, for some of the tracks; but this is an incredible debut.
    [​IMG]
    First of 2 Jobim CDs to play today. See if he can stop the rain...

rxcory, bluemooze, Jackie P and 7 others like this.
  21. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

This album has my favourite version of Insensatez. I first heard it 20 odd years ago on the soundtrack to David Lynch's Lost Highway. It fit so perfectly on the soundtrack, i had no concept of who Jobim was, i think i just figured he was a hip contemporary European producer. Even the title of the song sounded Lynchian and/or Reznorian.

Lonson likes this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Right. I’m not saying I value graduation from music school for its own sake. Berklee is a great place for networking and joining paid groups.

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My youngest son is a recent Berklee grad and working in a studio. I think it was a networking/referral deal.

Scope J likes this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charlie Haden & Hank Jones - Come Sunday (Decca)

A few days late but I enjoy these gospel songs mixed in with other tunes like Ellington's well known title song. I grew up singing some of those songs in church. Charlie is fantastic. Well they both are but I love listening to Charlie navigate these songs and it's pretty easy with only one other instrument in the mix.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I had just pulled out my Charlie Haden collection and listened to this one.

Not only does it include four unique performance by Shirley Horn, but it includes a very moving vocal performance by Charlie Haden on "Wayfaring Stranger".

I think he was an excellent and very expressive singer. I wish there were many recordings. I recently compiled about 50 performances of this song by different artists, and Charlie's version is a highlight.

[​IMG]