Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I know you meant Gary Peacock instead of Charlie Haden. Love those albums!

cedarbrew and Ken E. like this.
  2. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

:hide:

Lonson likes this.
  3. Lonson

Be not ashamed. As an aside, made me think how those albums would sound with Charlie in for Gary. Would still be great albums. . . .

4. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

5. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Yes this album is so good , as is Spirituals (same band and on DIW as well )
    Since you got me thinking about David Murray , I going to listen to the duet record with Randy Weston on Black Saint ‘The Healrrs ‘
    A masterpiece unlike anything else !

Stu02 likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I only have three or four David Murray albums but I do have that one with Weston. I haven't played it in a while so might need to pull it out for a listen if I get through the others I have poised. I probably need to check out Spirituals. That is a killer band, no doubt.

Craig's Story and Stu02 like this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP George Mraz - Bottom Lines (Milestone)
    Mraz has played with many of my favorite pianists and others. I love his tone and his touch. This is an album focusing on songs written by bass players from Mingus to Ron Carter and beyond. A really nice tribute to his compadres. Cyrus Chestnut is the pianist here and he does a superb job showing sensitivity where it counts, both in solos and comping. Rich Perry is a less known tenor sax player that has been gigging the NYC scene for a long time and deserves higher recognition. I have several cds with Mraz as a leader and they are all well worth picking up.

bluemooze and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Roscoe Mitchell - Ride The Wind (w/ Montreal-Toronto Art Orchestra)

Arrived today. Excellent!

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Marzz, alankin1 and 5 others like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP McCoy Tyner - Plays John Coltrane (Impulse)
    Trio with George Mraz and Al Foster. This was a coincidence that I pulled this out next to play and it happened to have Mraz on it with a pianist. I just went over to the T's - Z's and decided on some Tyner and grabbed this.

rxcory, bluemooze, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Blu, how did that first play go ?

I've been playing another mainstream record.
    Sonny Red, 1971
    [​IMG]
    It's OK, it recalls me Pharoah, Wayne Shorter... But it doesn't sound distinctive enough. Just my opinion.

rxcory and bluemooze like this.
  11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Great music and great sound. If you are not familiar with LPdF, well worth a try.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Art Farmer & Fritz PauerAzure (Soul Note Records / CAM Jazz)
    — Art Farmer (flugelhorn), Fritz Pauer (piano)

[​IMG]

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I only have one album by him so I can't claim a lot of knowledge about his sound but having said that I would tentatively agree. My album is The Mode on Jazzland, the budget label of Riverside. It features Grant Green on the title track and a few others and while I like the title track a lot I can't say I hear anything that would put him up in the first tier of alto players. He's solid as they come and it might be I haven't heard one that would change that attitude. I wouldn't ditch tge album for sure. I even played it during one of my recent dee jay sessions and The Mode went over well. If he was still around I would go to his performance. Musicians at this level usually have what it takes to perform at a higher level when playing in front of an audience and given the right setting with supportive band members and he could probably really surprise you.

NP Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams (ECM)

What's a Maqam? Do they come in other colors besides blue? This has become a real favorite for early morning listening. It's been raining since around midnight last night and it's supposed to pick up in intensity today with high winds too so I'm glad I don't need to go anywhere today. I have a pot of asparagus soup I made Monday that will keep me warm and satisfied so I say bring it on. We need the rain so I'm not complaining but this has been the coldest March in quite some time. Normally I am tempted to begin planting in March but there hasn't been enough consecutive warm days to instill any confidence to chance it. I saw a grower at the market on Sunday selling basil seedlings and thought only an inexperienced gardner would buy those now and put them in the ground. It will be warm soon enough.

bluemooze, Stu02 and Yesternow like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wow, a Robert Crumb cover. I bet those are pricey in original form. :cool:

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is this a reissue on CamJazz? I didn't know they acquired the label or rights to release titles. Very interesting.

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was thinking it was an older album originally released on vinyl but can see now it was released in 2003 and it's cd so not surprised it isn't as collectable. Crumb used to live in a small town about 45 miles west of me and he made a cover for a local bluegrass band that goes for silly money just because of his art work. It's an lp though and not cd so the art has more impact. I forget the band's name but my friend's shop had a copy a year or so ago.

18. Lonson

I'm pretty sure Cam Jazz owns the label now as it has been reissuing Soul Note and Black Saint titles in remastered box sets. . . .

Box Sets CAM JAZZ

bluemooze likes this.
  19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The release date that Amazon indicates is not reliable. It was originally issued in 1994.
    Hope you'll get a copy and love it. :wave:

Six String likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yeah, I googled it. They acquired the rights in 2008, I just hadn't noticed it before.

Lonson likes this.
  21. Lonson

Cool. They've done a good job, not just sat on the tapes.

22. Lonson

[​IMG]

Miles Davis "Water Babies" . . . this one is the Wilder remix stand-alone cd. I have been comparing this with a different mix on Sony this morning. Great music!

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP George Coleman/Tete Montoliu Duo - Meditation (Timeless) lp
    These two had a good connection and Montoliu should have a higher profile than he does.

Blumagnet, bluemooze, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

On to more Coleman vis a vis Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage.
    Freddie is a monster on this too.

rxcory, vanhooserd, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  25. Lonson

Bud Powell "Ups 'n Downs" Mainstream Records/Solid Records Japan CD

[​IMG]

Bud with Scotty Holt and Rashied Ali. Has its moments both ways, the title is appropriate (and the title of a Powell original).

Before Powell
    Harold Land "Damisi" Mainstream Records/Solid Records Japan cd.
    [​IMG]

fatwad666, bluemooze, Joe F and 3 others like this.