Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Regarding ALL your posts and images in the thread... the best I’ve seen posted to The Hoffman Forum. Bravo! Your “grandpa” is one f***in’ cool dude.

Jim Walker and Tribute like this.
  2. fenderesq

These MIT guys are pretty genius... but could do with a little tutoring in music appreciation.

3. fenderesq

Ha! to James Bond’s Aston Martin.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My real grandfather was orphaned at 5, raised briefly by his 15 year old brother on his parent's farm, became a father himself by age 16, and decided to be an artist when he was 20. He had a good successful life as an artist to age 92.

Doggiedogma, Crispy Rob and fenderesq like this.
  5. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Dr. Lonnie Smith Octet- In The Beginning (Pilgrimage)
    [​IMG]
    Lonnie with a horn section and conguero. What's not to like? A lot of older tunes
    being reworked masterfully on this release.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Blue Mitchell - Out Of The Blue (Riverside) blue mono label lp
    Following my Blue path today...
    Killer band.
    Benny Golson - ts
    Wynton Kelly - p
    Paul Chambers or Sam Jones - b
    Art Blakey - d

rxcory, Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  7. fenderesq

Light years cooler then even the guy you posted. You’re gifted to have him in your lineage.

8. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Freddie Hubbard- The Hub Of Hubbard (MPS)
    [​IMG]
    Great 2016 AAA reissue from MPS. Eddie Daniels on Tenor, a relative unknown
    to me, completely smokes on this album. That said, I do know of him through his
    association with The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra but never really singled out his playing.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Eddie Daniels has been best known for his superb clarinet playing, his main instrument.

ds58 and BluTom like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Joe Zawinul - Zawinul (Atlantic) red/green label

NP Miles Davis & John Coltrane Live In Stockholm 1960 (Dragon)

I may end up buying the single concert on vinyl of the new bootleg series instead of buying the whole thing. That will give me two of the shows and I probably don't need anymore. I'll wait and read reviews before plunking down my money.

11. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

It has been interesting, and somewhat (like a speck) of a better understanding on what was going on in the jazz world in those two, three decades. Even more so now, I have learned that these men, these musicians have my total and unadulterated respect. Brilliant minds with such infinite skill, passion and a love of the game. That charted such a music of the soul and conscience that can never be denied. I'm not sure we will never see such a thing in any kind of music genre again. These guys, still with us or already gone are giants of a true golden era.

**If you still purchase compact discs, Ahmad Jamal has a box called Eight
    Classic Albums 1956-1962 on the Real Gone Jazz label--four discs that
    run 20-30 dollars (actually that price has gone up for used),
    They sound just fine.

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tommy FlanaganSunset and The Mockingbird: The Birthday Concert (Blue Note Records)

[​IMG]

kfan, bluemooze, Six String and 2 others like this.
  13. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP - 70’s Blue Note pressing

[​IMG]

14. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

I’m about to give this a listen. Bought it at my local used shop today. I believe it’s one of his last recording’s . I also bought a few other discs that I’ll post in the future.[​IMG]

rxcory, alankin1, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  15. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Freddie Hubbard- Backlash (Speakers Corner)
    [​IMG]
    More Freddie. Different Freddie.

scotti, bluejimbop, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  16. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I've been looking for an opportunity to play this great record and now's the time,so to speak. Trane played with a lot of people but this quartet was my favorite of his playing on some historical recordings, including the Johnny Hartman record that gets some love on the J & C thread. Bluesy, grounded bebop and restrained, considering what was coming next at the end of 1964 with the same quartet. Matter of fact instead of leaping into 70's again, Love Supreme is going on next. It should be a stunner because of the contrast between the two... then I'll take a leap into '73-74 with a Weather Report record.

Love Bessie's Blues on Crescent btw. The opener on LS, Acknowledgemt, is much less 'wild and out there' now than what I thought back almost 30 years ago. The guys brought it up a notch with the bass and drums, Tyner playing rhythmically in the moment, but deep in the pocket. LS was my 'workout at the gym' choice back when we had those portable digidisc-spinners. Mysterious Traveller, side two, is a fascinating follow-up to the 1-2 punch of the Coltrane records.

With a Manhatten in hand, March Madness on the tube and an open Friday, it appears to be a Happy Hour 'Jazz and Conversation' Elation. Please don't nail me on copyright issues Lonson. lol

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    rxcory, BluTom, MagicAlex and 10 others like this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I haven't heard that Altschul album that sounds like a great band. There's a Braxton live quintet album from the same period with Muhal and George Lewis but with the rhythm section of Bobo Shaw and Mark Helias that's great.

The Paris Circle live album is pretty easy to come by, it was out on ECM. The sessions that were released on Blue Note under Corea's name are less common, and I don't think necessarily as good on balance.

jay.dee likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yeah, I need to get that Paris Circle Live again and hear it with my current ears. I'm confident I would have a great appreciation for it now.

I had dinner with a dear old friend who saw Chick Corea last night with the Lincoln Jazz Orchestra sans Wynton. He said it was very good. Chick was still very nimble with great touch and really listened and responded to the orchestra.
    It sounded like a great night. I knew about it but I had other things going on and kind of forgot about it. I've been distracted by my new life as a retired person trying to get my stuff in order.

NP James Ulmer - Tales Of Captain Black (Artist House)
    With Ornette and Denardo Coleman and Jaamaldeen Tacuma. No complacency here!

Jim Walker, Stu02, MagicAlex and 3 others like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Nice to hear Rouse as leader. Yeah! was recorded 12/60, NYC, with Billy Gardner (p), Peck Morrison (b) & Dave Bailey (d). We Paid Our Dues! has three tracks by each leader. Rouse plays with Gildo Mahones (p), Reggie Workman (b) & Art Taylor (d). Powell, who plays flute on one track, is with Lloyd Mayers (p), Morrison (b) & Denzil Best (d). I couldn't find recording dates for the second album, but both LPs were issued in 1961.

rxcory, Stu02, Henry Please and 3 others like this.
  20. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

From yesterday’s haul. On his death bed, Mingus allegedly admitted this was his favorite of his albums. I think it’s fair to call this one of Mingus’ crowning achievements. It’s absolutely fabulous. Also, he wrote an essay of the same title that’s included with the album. It’s a great read.

Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music (1972)
    Original US pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jeff1951, rxcory, Stu02 and 11 others like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

^^^^My first Mingus album. Didn't know what to make of it at first but I figured it out. Lost it in a flood in'90.

NP Barry altschul - You Can't Name Your Own Tune (Muse) turquoise label lp

W/Muhal Richard Abrams/Dave Holland/George Lewis/Sam Rivers
    As you would expect, a thrilling journey from start to finish. Not sure if it got released on cd. If you like any of these guys you probably need it. Someone probably has it on youtube of it is uber rare.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

At about that time, it seemed that a number of jazz musicians were composing and recording "grand suites" in the Ellington manner - complex pieces with large numbers of musicians. But within a few years, there just weren't as many being recorded. I think it had less to do with what the musicians were interested in working on and more to do with the major labels refusing to support such projects. Most musicians could not afford to independently produce and record such major jazz suites.

Jim Walker and OldJohnRobertson like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Blue Mitchell - Smooth As The Wind (Riverside) blue mono pressing
    Recorded with strings and brass.

Stellar band including Tmmy Flanagan, Charlie Persip, Julian Priester, Clark Terry and more.

24. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I had a radio like this on my bike circa 1975-76 in Junior high. Perfect for listening to tunes on my daily commute to school, and hanging out with my buddies after school. I also had a clock radio with a timer on it, and would set the radio to play for 60 minutes after I went to bed. Talk about obsessed with music at a young age!

[​IMG]

rxcory, Stu02, Jim Walker and 6 others like this.
  25. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This just blew my mind. How did I not hear this for so long? This sounds like animals screaming into a black hole while planets are colliding. God bless Miles, man.