Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP ORG Black Lion release Bernie Grundman mastered
    [​IMG]
    Love this Lp - mix of model grooves , ballads and blues.

Kenny Drew piano
    Nils Henning Orsted Pederson bass
    Albert Heath skins
    Recorded at the Jazzhuis Copenhagen 1967.

A tip of the hat to the Europeans who opened there arms to wondering Jazzmen like these who often felt more at home overseas.

markp, ohnothimagen, Joe F and 5 others like this.
  2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Home just in time for a nightcap and a record that has me right where I need to be. Coleman Hawkins and Budd Johnson with Les Spann on guitar, Jimmy Jones on piano and Roy Eldridge on trumpet. The laid back jammy nature suits the music nicely with a slow tempo rhythm section at just the right speed. A twenty minute opener that is perfectly worth the price of admission.

[​IMG]

3. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    Soundtrack, 1974.

Herbie Hancock handles the music and Charles Bronson... the bad guys.

Crispy Rob, bluemooze, xybert and 4 others like this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Breakfast.
    Having 1 order of this with my tea ....
    [​IMG]
    Greatest hits list of performers and the tunes don’t dissapoint either

5. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Two newest arrivals of my collection

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carmen McRae "Haven't we Met?" Mainstream Records/Solid Records Japan CD

Nice stuff. . . so so sound (Lp dub?) I love Carmen.

PS: Every time I see the Mainstream logo image of the microphone stand. . I realize I need to vacuum.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

With my tea this morning I've got Anouar Braham's Blue Maqams spinning. I needed something soothing this morning after dj'ing last night. I knew I wouldn't feel like jumping out of bed early and heading down to a record store for RSD but I decided I didn't have any real reason this year. I had a great time spinning records last night though. The place was hopping and that increased the fun factor for me and I got a lot of compliments for my music choices which is always nice.

8. Elvin Jones played drums on this version and Coltrane's iconic version. I like his performance on GG's version even more than the Coltrane recording.

9. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Joe Henderson "Mode For Joe" is making it's debut "spin" here at the moment.

10. Lonson

[​IMG]
    Carmen McRae "Carmen Sings Monk" Sony Blu-Spec CD2 disc.

markp, Starwanderer, Soulpope and 6 others like this.
  11. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Here's a picture from last night of an empty stage soon to be filled by Joe Lovano, John Scofield, Ben Street and Bill Stewart. Amazing concert; Scofield and Stewart in particular really tore it up. However I was somewhat alarmed by the age range which skewed heavily to the seniors side of things. At 51 I was one of the younger ones! The venue seats 800-ish but it was only about half full; hope that was enough tickets sold for the band.

[​IMG]

12. NaiveMelody

NaiveMelody Forum Resident

I love me some modern creative big band...like this! Anyone with more recent (post Filtros) Guillermo Klein suggestions?

jay.dee, bluemooze and xybert like this.
  13. Lonson

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Don't you play one of those? Bass viol?

Lonson likes this.
  15. Lonson

Yes, I play a contrabass violin on occasion, but I have never learned to play with a bow, I'm a plucker. The viola de gamba on these recordings is a fretted seven string instrument and it's all played with a bow. . . very different than what I have and do!

Jim Walker, bluemooze, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  16. Lonson

Terence Blanchard "The Billie Holiday Songbook"

[​IMG]

17. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I dig Filtros too. I haven’t kept up with Klein but i thought Carrera was a minor masterpiece. Quite a downbeat, meloncholy album, just gorgeous.

bluemooze and NaiveMelody like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Are you trying to do an impersonation of me? :D

I went to my friend's shop today to see what goodies he was putting out. He doesn't do RSD but stashes good used titles for the day and I got a very clean mono original of John Patton's Oh Baby! I just bought a stereo reissue a few months ago but hinking I'd never find a good original. I'll be curious to hear this mono copy but right now I'm grooving to Neil Young's Roxy album. Where's that tequila bottle? :sigh: :laugh:

Lonson likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I couldn't wait any longer....After playing the first two sides of Neil I switched over to Oh Baby! Holy cow the music leaps off the grooves. I had to turn down the volume a bit as it plays louder than Neil's Roxy. It looked super clean which is why I didn't hesitate grabbing something I already owned but even without playing my reissue I can tell this one kills it. Nothing like an old Blue Note when they are in good shape.

I picked up a live album by a new organ trio from up Ohio way, The Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio Live At KEXP on Coalmine Records. I was a little surprised at the price ($30) but the cover is up there with Music Matters as far as aesthetics and construction and it was pressed on translucent red vinyl and housed in a MoFi sleeve. They cover Patton's Memphis and the album opens with a good version of Curtis Mayfield's Movin' On Up. I hope they make their way west sometime in the future. I'd love to catch their set.

bluemooze and rxcory like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bill Stewart is an unassuming but monster drummer.

ianfaith1 and eeglug like this.
  21. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Playing at the moment is the title track of Andrew Hill's "Black Fire" album.

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Blackfire is possibly my favorite album by Hill though I find all of his Blue Note albums are more than worthy.

NP Ahmad Jamal Trio - Count 'em 88 (Argo) orig. silver on black dg, mono pressing.

One of the few of his early albums I didn't own, until today! I could never find a copy that wasn't well loved. Today was finally the day.

23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I was slagging the Manfred Eicher ECM sound a little bit a few dozen pages ago but here is a great Eicher produced ECM gem for me.
    [​IMG]
    Jan Garbareks Whitchi-Tai-To from 1973 with
    Bobo Stenson -piano. ( I really need to start listening to his own records )
    Jon Christensen drums
    Palle Daniellsen double bass

I find Garbareks sound in the late 70s onwards overly precious. Perhaps it’s a little too much vibrato and/ or reverb , it disconnects me from the music.

This earlier record from 73 still has this sound but it is very subtle in comparison and adds a element of icy haunted atmosphere.

The band is also not afraid to get its teeth into these pieces and this is a much more course and scrappy playing style then in the later 70s
    The songs are lengthy with lots of space for soloists to stretch out especially in the hard modal ( esque ) closer Desireless ( 20 min ) in which Garbarek really squeaks ala Coltrane ( ish) in places and leaves his heart on the floor.

Really great stuff

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I only have a few JG albums too and this is one of them. Dansere I rate pretty highly too.

25. NaiveMelody

NaiveMelody Forum Resident

Thanks. I really enjoyed my first listen. His compositions are interesting and I like the sound his ensemble (Guachos not Gauchos as I had thought) creates using a blend of acoustic and electric instruments. This is one I’ll keep in my rotation for at least a little while. Any other modern creative big-gish band suggestions appreciated!

xybert likes this.