Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Hopefully more titles will be released later on, like Crescent. They seem to be Hybrid SACDs also.

2. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Speaking of vibes - figured I'd give myself a dose!

[​IMG]

mktracy, bluemooze, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Tower claims that they ‘made the DSD masters directly from the USA analog masters for the first time ever’. Does it mean that the AP impulse! SACDs were made from the dub tapes?

rxcory likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yeah, my "out" description was pretty sloppy on my part but he plays out more than some artists I listen to hence my short cut. As I mentioned I don't have a lot of experience with his music but enough to have a general idea what he's about. He's a boundary pusher, at least from my limited knowledge of his music.

NP Randy Weston - Saga (Verve/Gitanes)
    A septet album by one of the greats! I'm enjoying my Weston immersion....

bluemooze likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't think you're wrong. I think people think of hims as more of an out player, and he can be, and even in a relatively straight ahead context, his soloing get into all that trick register stuff. But he's also very grounded in the tradition and a lot of his writing and playing reflects that too, all at the same time. That's what I always dug about him.

Six String likes this.
  6. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Today,
    [​IMG]
    (Recorded 1970) Zawinul, Joe , (ST)
    +
    [​IMG]
    (Recorded 1971) Weather Report, (ST)

Both released in 1971.

MagicAlex, bluemooze, Xelfo and 3 others like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

This is Lucy Reed (OJCCD-1943-2)

[​IMG]

Stu02, DmitriKaramazov and Tribute like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Excellent with Bill Evans on all tracks, 1955. Also available in a more completist edition on Fresh Sounds

dzhason likes this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Funny you say that because I have been wanting to get The Singing Reed cd for a while but it is OOP and quite expensive everywhere I see it available; however, earlier, while searching for an image of This is Lucy Reed to use for posting here, one of the images I found was for a Complete Lucy Reed set (from Fresh Sounds New Talent) which I clicked on and ordered right away.

As far as Bill Evans, he plays on the tracks from The Singing Reed, piano on This is Lucy Reed is either by Gil Evans, Eddie Higgins, or Don Abney.

I discovered Lucy Reed by chance back in the fall when I was having a lazy afternoon one Sundy listening to as many different versions of "Lazy Afternoon" as I could find on YouTube and I really liked her version.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Miles Davis - The Complete On The Corner Sessions (Disc 2, again!)

[​IMG]

rxcory, jerico, mktracy and 13 others like this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ernie Watts - Unity (JVC) 20bitK2 disc
    W/ a stellar band!
    Geri Allen - p
    Jack DeJohnette - d
    Eddie Gomez - (a)b
    Steve Swallow - (e)b
    Ernie - ts

Really superb player who is also supportive on the education side too performing and teaching at clinics.

Edit:His version of Mal Waldron's Soul Eyes is gorgeous including Geri's playing. I think of Geri a lot since her passing.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    markp, mktracy and bluemooze like this.
  13. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

Jackie McLean - “It’s Time!”

Roy Haynes, Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee, Charles Toliver.

My copy is a first Japanese King pressing in mint condition. Sounds outstanding. No tricks.

mktracy, MagicAlex and bluemooze like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

McCoy Tyner Qt. - New York Reunion (Chesky) 1991 cd
    W/Joe Henderson, Ron Carter and Al Foster. This band has a lot of energy.

markp and bluemooze like this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

When I talk about David Murray as kind of being inside/outside, I'm thinking of something like this, which I think is pretty typical Murray. It's swinging and melodic and with a catchy central riffs, but it's also free especially in the solos -- Murray doesn't spend as much time in the false upper register as he often did, but there's the wild intervallic leaps and the multiphonic squalls. The whole thing is kind of like post-New Thing Mingus or something, including the reference to Coleman Hawkin's famous 1948 solo tenor piece "Picasso," the inspiration for the whole Picasso suite of which this piece is just part Is it outside? Or is it inside? It kind of resolves both parts of the tradition, which is one of the things I find really special about the best of Murray.

But then of course he could do very outside duets with Milford Graves, or skronky electric jazz with Blood Ulmer.

16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Did someone call for David Murray recommendations? I certainly second World Saxophone Quartet Live at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on Black Saint. I saw WSQ there, I don't believe it was that performance, but Murray was in excellent form. During the unaccompanied portion of a tenor solo he paused briefly and someone exhorted him to 'Take it to the hoop'. I saw him many times in the 70's, the first being soon after he arrived from CA in a trio with Fred Hopkins and Stanley Crouch at Studio Rivbea. The octet recordings are all worth hearing, the best way to do that being to get the Black Saint/Soul Note David Murray box set. But besides the WSQ album some Murray not already mentioned would be the early 3D Family on Hat Hut, Ming's Samba, Shakill's Warrior with maestros Don Pullen and Andrew Cyrille, a crowd pleaser that will sit well with casual listeners who like jazz, David Murray Latin Big Band Now is Another Time with sterling work from Hamiett Bluiett of WSQ, and finally the lesser known and in my opinion essential duets with Milford Graves entitled Real Deal on DIW. Miss that one at your peril. David Murray & Milford Graves - Real Deal

Crispy Rob and chervokas like this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I really like all the big band stuff -- the Latin Big Band, South of the Board, the one I previously mentioned "....Conducted by Butch Morris," and the Live at Sweet Basil's albums. And the Milford Graves duet album, which I just pulled out tonight inspired by this thread is great, but probably not maybe for those looking for more "inside" Murray. Still I think it's very listenable.

Speaking of '70s Murray when he first came to NY, I really like Flowers for Albert.

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I had a sudden urge to listen to some “Bird Song” before bed, fortunately I happen to have Dave’s 24 loaded on my iPod.

Grateful Dead - Dave’s Picks 24 • 8/25/72 • Berkeley Communtiy Theater

[​IMG]

rxcory, pudgym, markp and 4 others like this.
  19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Horace Parlan - Movin' and Groovin' SACD

I had a series of mistakes with iTunes which is leading me to rip all my CDs again. It's fun to pull these out and see the many autographs I got over the years--most from Blues Alley in DC and Yoshi's in Oakland, with plenty of miscellaneous venues. Really brings me back to experiencing the performance and meeting the musician.

pudgym, xybert and fatwad666 like this.
  20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ouch, I believe if something happened to my iTunes library at this point I’d just throw in the towel. Godspeed your endeavor!

GregM likes this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'd be in big trouble. I have something like 15K CDs ripped, 18.5K albums in total in my library, but probably 3K of those are downloads. This is why I back up my library.

22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Can one imagine that a night exists where one can see Darius Jones, Archie Shepp & Kidd Jordan in 3 different bands?

And that Andrew Cyrille is the drummer in 2 of those bands?

That Hamid Drake is the drummer in the other?

2 of the groups feature William Parker on bass and the other we get to experience the great Harrison Bankhead from Chicago

Plus it’s a tribute to the great pianist, Mr. Dave Burrell who plays in all 3 groups!

Tomorrow night opening night of Vision Festival 2018 thankfully back at Roulette in Brooklyn:)

jay.dee, hyde park, Mugrug12 and 5 others like this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I wanted to throw it in. Been putting this off a long time, through lots of life's twists and turns. But my daily commute now includes 1 1/2 hours on the train and an hour walking...plus often waiting 10-20 minutes on the platform for the train. This will greatly improve my commute.

dzhason likes this.
  24. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Can anyone direct me to albums with roy Haynes and Johnny griffin together, besides the monk 5 spot ones?

fatwad666 likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now playing "Soul Station."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RomanBlade, Stu02, mktracy and 14 others like this.