Listening Room Renovation Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cement_head, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm about to embark on a listen room renovation, to partially finish my basement. One question that has come up is that there is a structural steel pole (hollow) that is supporting a steel I-beam. I think the cost of trying to move the pole would be horrendous, and so I've elected to leave it where it is, but my question is will it resonate? Even when diving into Led Zep II? Thanks

2. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

Where is the column located? Middle of the room, first reflection piont, or on the side?
    When you tap it with a hammer does it make a sound?
    Regardless, since you need to leave it there if you are worried about it resonating try some peel and stick car panel deadener (sp) like dynamat.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'd be more concerned about soundwave reflections that resonation.

4. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to worry about it, then try something like wrapping it in dynamat as suggested above. You could also always box it in with wood or something, more for aesthetics as anything else, if you'd like.

cement_head and The Pinhead like this.
  5. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kinda towards the back left of the room. Yes, when you tap a hammer, it makes a sound - it's pretty thick steel, but hollow. I'll keep the dynamat in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.